catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Neandertal DNA recovered from cave mud reveals that these ancient humans spread across Eurasia in two different waves."

Neandertal DNA from cave mud shows waves of migration across Eurasia | Science News
That remarkable detail was interesting, and I read a bit further on:

"A few years ago, scientists showed that it’s possible to extract prehistoric human DNA from dirt, "

Summary:
Analysis of DNA from archaic hominids has illuminated human evolution. However, sites where thousand-year-old bones and other remains can be found are relatively rare. Slon et al. wanted to exploit any trace remains that our ancestors left behind. They looked for ancient DNA of hominids and other mammals in cave sediments, even those lacking skeletal remains. They identified mitochondrial DNA from Neandertal and Denisovan individuals in cave sediments at multiple sites.

Quite interesting.

I recall that recently I was reading how we think Denisovans persisted much later and intermingled with modern humans.

"Denisovans, once lived alongside our early Homo sapiens ancestors. They mingled and had children."

More here: We carry DNA from extinct cousins like Neanderthals. Science is now revealing their genetic legacy

I like that. There's something naturally charming and attractive about these likely rather intelligent (larger than homo sapien brain sized) smaller humans. Who wouldn't want Denisovan genes?

:)

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟997,490.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,557.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That remarkable detail was interesting, and I read a bit further on:

"A few years ago, scientists showed that it’s possible to extract prehistoric human DNA from dirt, "

Summary:
Analysis of DNA from archaic hominids has illuminated human evolution. However, sites where thousand-year-old bones and other remains can be found are relatively rare. Slon et al. wanted to exploit any trace remains that our ancestors left behind. They looked for ancient DNA of hominids and other mammals in cave sediments, even those lacking skeletal remains. They identified mitochondrial DNA from Neandertal and Denisovan individuals in cave sediments at multiple sites.

Quite interesting.

I recall that recently I was reading how we think Denisovans persisted much later and intermingled with modern humans.

"Denisovans, once lived alongside our early Homo sapiens ancestors. They mingled and had children."

More here: We carry DNA from extinct cousins like Neanderthals. Science is now revealing their genetic legacy

I like that. There's something naturally charming and attractive about these likely rather intelligent (larger than homo sapien brain sized) smaller humans. Who wouldn't want Denisovan genes?

:)
I just got the smaller genes. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just got the smaller genes. :(
Well, in my view there is very little or no advantage to being taller than average nor any disadvantage to being shorter than average, even to being in the lowest 10% in height, etc.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟938,969.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, in my view there is very little or no advantage to being taller than average nor any disadvantage to being shorter than average, even to being in the lowest 10% in height, etc.
Hey, at least I can reach the whiskey on the top shelf.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,557.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im good with my size 149 cm or so.
I find ways to make it work to my advantage.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im good with my size 149 cm or so.
I find ways to make it work to my advantage.
My Aunt was 144.5 cm but my mom was 157.4 cm, big for an Asian. Her feet were so big she struggled to find shoes.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The larger brain may be mostly to the much more robust musculature of our close relatives. It's intriguing though, that Neanderthal brains were shaped somewhat differently than anatomically modern humans. The kids always joked about me looking like a Neanderthal; later when they got me one of those genetic analyses, it seems that my share of Neanderthal DNA is greater than average for most people of northern European ancestry.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums