Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Christ died once for all of our sins (past, present and future), but the death of Christ for our sins does no one any good apart from true and genuine faith, and true and genuine faith does not include adulterous behavior—true and genuine faith results in a true and genuine relationship with Christ. Those are not true to Christ are not His.
I don't think anyone is disputing that those who are not true to Christ are not His. However even as believers we do still sin, though we strive not to, and He sanctifies us over the course of our lives. But listen, there are a lot of people who are taught that divorce is perfectly acceptable if the spouse commits a single act of adultery, or even watches inappropriate contentography. They've been taught that loopholes are God's grace to us. So they might just live according to that. Are you suggesting that means they're not really Christians? Or is it perhaps that their willful nature has kept them blinded to the truth in that area and they're in need of proper teaching?

Slipping a wedding band onto the finger of a second spouse does not constitute adultery; the sin of adultery is the actually act of adultery, whether it be in the mind or in the bed. Continuing to be a good spouse and a good parent in a second marriage is not a sin; and being a good spouse and a good parent does not include adulterous behavior. Paul’s instructions to married couples was not addressed to couples in which one or both parties was in a second marriage. Slipping a wedding band onto the finger of a second spouse has been, for many, a past mistake, and if it is truly repented of, through faith in Christ, it is forgiven.
PG, if you're able, please define what you mean by adultery in this instance. Are you talking about sex?

Faithfulness and devotion in marriage is first to Christ, secondly to each other; and faithfulness and devotion in marriage to Christ does not include adulterous behavior.
Tell me what state you think King David was in during the whole Bathsheba ordeal. It took him an entire year before he finally repented of that. And it wasn't just adultery, but murder too! Do you think he was unsaved at that point?

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hmmmm....It seems PG has fallen silent on this subject. Several questions have been put to him, trying to clarify the hardline stance he appears to be taking, but apparently he either doesn't have an answer, or doesn't want to admit he painted himself into a corner. Pity, that, it would have been beneficial for all concerned to gain some clearer understanding....

Upvote 0

warriorforJesus

Jan 16, 2007
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever Jesus introduces his teaching with the words, “I say to you” (there are more than 50 occurrences in Matthew’s Gospel alone), He is introducing a new teaching that goes beyond the commonly accepted rabbinic teachings of his day. If the exception clause is genuine, in verse 9 Jesus is not introducing a new teaching, He is falling into the Pharisees’ trap by taking Shammai’s side in the debate! Therefore, the verse should read,

9. “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Your opinion PG.

Upvote 0

bubbles881

May 1, 2010
✟7,705.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Marriage definitely is intended for the glorification of God. Unfortunately, not many people are married with this in mind any more. Thinking of it this way, I think divorce is a GREAT idea for married couples who are having serious problems, even outside of adultery. I don't think couples should feel obligated to stay with each other because they think divorce is "wrong." They shouldn't feel obligated to live the rest of their life with someone they can't stand.

Upvote 0