Byzantine Catholic
Jul 8, 2004
✟11,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello again!

I began to search online for sources concerning the Divine Liturgy and I have not come up with exactly what I was looking for.

What it is I am looking for is a source that describes and outlines the Divine Liturgy in great detail in every move that is made, in every symbolic act and gesture, in all the words spoken, about all the items used, and so on.

So, Im searching for the source that tells me the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of the details in regard to the Liturgy.

Naturally online sources would be great, otherwise if a book is needed to be purchased, that will be fine too.

Q

K

KATHXOYMENOC

Qoheleth said:
Hello again!

I began to search online for sources concerning the Divine Liturgy and I have not come up with exactly what I was looking for.

What it is I am looking for is a source that describes and outlines the Divine Liturgy in great detail in every move that is made, in every symbolic act and gesture, in all the words spoken, about all the items used, and so on.

So, Im searching for the source that tells me the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of the details in regard to the Liturgy.

Naturally online sources would be great, otherwise if a book is needed to be purchased, that will be fine too.

Q

I have this book, but have not fully read it:

Nicholas Cabasilas A COMMENTARY ON THE DIVINE LITURGY
ISBN 0913836370

It's considered to be essential reading.

I just finished: Orthodox Worship: A Living Continuity With the Temple, the Synagogue ISBN 0937032727 by Benjamin D. Williams and H. Anstall. Part 2 (by Anstall, I believe) goes into great detail about every part of the Divine Liturgy. It's an interesting book, but it has some statements I'd question. It may have the detail you're searching for, though - perhaps more than Cabasilas.

I just ordered this book by an Anglican scholar that is considered one of the best on the development of the Liturgy (not just the Orthodox, though): The Shape Of The Liturgy, New Edition (New Edition) by Dom Gregory Dix ISBN 0826479421.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oddly enough, I just 5 min ago happened upon the Priest's Service Book while looking to replace the site that has our Bishop's translation (the links were broken and I am preparing laity service books). Even though it says Romanian, the book is translated by +DMITRI, Abp. of Dallas and the South, OCA. There also seems to be a well done intro to understanding the Divine Liturgy, perhaps not the detail you want, but along with the rubrics in the service book, a start.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Manual of Divine Services has some more info. Orthodoxy does not have everything neatly laid out in one place, you won't for instance find a complete Catechism with all we believe itemized. I like to call Orthodoxy the AD&D of Christianity when it comes to rubrics :D

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
the best two books i know of are The Eucharist and For the Life of the World by Schmemann. They aren't quite what you're looking for. I don't know if what you're looking for exists in the form you want, at least not in Englihs. Bulgakov has a manual on the subject which coversnot only this but all the feasts. the bibliography of schmemann's eucharist will undoubtedly point to some good, but old, references.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about the green Antiochian Liturgy book that has Liturgy on one side, commentary on the other. It's definitely not a complete book with all the priest's parts, silent prayers, liturgical actions, etc., but it might be useful. See if any of the churches around you have them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Awesome. Yea, the Antiochian book may be very helpful--I know a lot of evangelical visitors who have gotten a lot out of reading it, especially b/c it shows exactly how much of Liturgy is direct quotes from Scripture.

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

Qoheleth said:
Hello again!

Q

This may be what you've been looking for:

http://www.frmichel.najim.net/liturgyvid.pdf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Prokeimenon!

like unto bees about a honeycomb
Feb 3, 2004
some crummy town
✟18,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anonykat said:
My hubs also JUST got done putting one together for our parish. As soon as I let him online;) I bet he'll be glad to arrange to send you a copy.

LK

Beloved Anonykat,
Unfortunately, the book I put together sucks. It was assembled according to the decrees of the great and powerful Parish Council, and I don't think it's any good.

There is a green book Theodore Bobosh and published by Light and Life that has the text on the left and the scriptural references and explanations on the right. It's the best Liturgy book for the people that I've seen.

If you want the text of ALL of the prayers, including the quiet Priest's and Deacon's prayers and complete detailed rubrics, you'll want a copy of the Liturgikon by Bishop BASIL and published by the Antiochian Archdiocese. It's $60 but, man, it's one of the coolest books ever. It does not, however, explain why things are done the way they are.

Rdr Moses

Upvote 0

Qoheleth

Byzantine Catholic
Jul 8, 2004
✟11,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My hubs also JUST got done putting one together for our parish. As soon as I let him online;) I bet he'll be glad to arrange to send you a copy.

LK

Anonykat, I would be very grateful to receive this work from your hubby. Thanks for the consideration

Q

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.