Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys, i'm from singapore and i'm thinking of doing a masters or some certifications related to theology or religion or something similar. I haven't zoomed in on the specific course i'd like to take but i want to do something like that. I've had this idea of doing theology or whatever for some years now and today i have that strong urge again. However, i don't want to be a pastor, so maybe it's something i want to do just to equip myself. Anyway, the problem is, i want to do distance learning as i'm going to look for a job soon. (I graduated with a bachelors of computing)....so i hope you understand my situation...any advice IS appreciated. Thanks.

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Northwestern College (not to be confused with NW University) near my home has a pretty substantial theological distance learning program. They have a few different majors with dozens of different classes and they target adults almost more than college-age students.

The college itself is very conservative (though not off the wall, but the on-campus atmosphere is too conservative for me) but I DEFINATELY think it would be a good distance program for you to look into, especially since they seem to put a lot of work into focusing on adults. Check it out here:

http://nwc.edu/distance/programs/index.php

It's not a graduate program, but it sounds like a seminary might not be appropriate for you as you haven't studied the basics yet. Of course I could be wrong, but this sounds to me like it's what you're looking for to 'equip' yourself for life in the world. It's not as hard-core as graduate/seminary studies would be, but it's not watered down for a wider audience as many programs are.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that sounds very reasonable to me! You have to consider that to ATTEND the college for a year (which is about the same number of credits) you'd be paying about $20,000! Also, thirty credits is a big comittment. If you're going to be working at the same time, you could expect to finish it in 2+ years...

The really sucky thing here is that it's more the exchange rate that kills you. While it's relatively easy to make that kind of money here, it's got to be all but impossible there. Sorry, but I missed that you were FROM Singapore, and not simply living there.

I would suggest that rather than waste your money taking expensive classes from the USA, you look around your own area for missions and churches that might be able to guide you in the right direction. Certification in different biblical subjects is not "by far" the main goal of most students. Either they are building a base for pastoral (or some kind of missions etc...) study, or they are simply building a base for life. There's little point to getting the actual degree.

I would look around as I said, and find a missionary group, or church organization that would be willing to tutor you through some theological books or a deep study of the Bible.

A REALLY good way to get a cheap and wonderfully deep study of the Bible is through La'bri. It's a sort of retreat where you pay a minimum for upkeep, you help do chores around the manor, and you study Christ and the Bible for a few hours each day. There are also daily discussions and different talks throughout each week. You'd have to travel overseas for a sort of biblical vacation, but it would be WELL worth your time (and money!) Check it out at http://www.labri.com

Upvote 0