Oct 5, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
✟15,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What destroys perspective is our penchant to measure ministry on too small a scale. We lose the wide-angle view because we're riveted on the close-up. Using a microscopic lens, even a harmless spider looks like a hairy, horrible monster. Most of us would never clean cobwebs from the house if we focused on the close-up view of spiders. ~ Jack R. Van Ens

I don't know about you, but I find details can really discourage me. As I look at fulfilling what God has called me to do it's easy to look at all the things that have to happen and it causes me to really want to just give up and quit. There's some truth in the old German proverb that "the devil is in the details". If any of us were to sit down first thing in the morning and really write out everything we had to do, we'd never want to start. While there are important details to focus on, you must also make sure you don't lose sight of the big picture.

Think of a bride preparing for her wedding. You want to talk about some that can easily become obsessed about details, you couldn't find a better example. Invitations, postage for the invitations (after all, you have to have some sort of stamp with a heart on it), dress, shoes, guest lists, catering, band, etc. Who would want to go through that? Why would anybody put themselves through such a flurry of activity? Because the big picture reminds her that she's in love and is loved, that it will most likely be one of the best days of her life.

Are you discouraged in your relationship with Jesus? Are you discouraged in whatever ministry God has called you to? Do you look at the details of things and think nothing is changing or happening? Maybe you need to set aside the details for a little while. Focus on the big picture ... you are preparing to marry Jesus. You love him and each day with him can be filled with a joy only he can pour into your heart. Take time to be in his presence, not running through a list of to-do items or needs...just sit at his feet. You'll find yourself incredibly refreshed. When you find yourself becoming stressed or discouraged today, just stop and out loud say "I love you Lord". It will help you refocus on the big picture.

Here's my prayer for you today: Father, You are the God of hope. I pray that You would produce hope in the heart and mind of the person reading this. Deliver them from discouragement. Even when there are no outward results, grant them a passion to continue in their work. Help them see the big picture. I ask that they will not grow weary but that in due season, they will reap a harvest of fruit (Romans 15:13; Galatians 6:8,9).

Copyright © 2005 Greg Holl. All rights reserved.