Discerning the Diaconate

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone...

I don't know if some of you remember me, but I started on these forums back in 2003 and have been on a hiatus for about three years.

Many years ago, I was pretty sure I had a calling to become a Deacon, but after much discernment, found that it wasn't the case. Now, after a few years, the Holy Spirit is tugging at me again. So here I am, back here to fellowship with you all and ask for your prayers. I plan to re-enroll back into the three year program in my diocese that you have to take before you can become a Deacon. I guess we'll see if that "tug" is still there after that time.

Please remember this request in your prayers.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I myself went through discernment struggles for the Diaconate twice. I finally enrolled and in our dioceses, you and your wife had to go trough a grueling 12 week discernment process.

It was well worth it, but the Lord showed me that the Diaconate was not for me.

Remember, the calling from the Lord is an invitation, which he allows you to say yes or no. It's never forced upon you.

Anyway, praying for your discernment.

Jim

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...you and your wife had to go trough a grueling 12 week discernment process.
Yes, and therein lies the problem -- my wife is agnostic. I feel the Lord is calling me, but how am I going to do this if my wife doesn't want to be involved.

Don't get me wrong -- she's very supportive, but it's weird -- she, herself, won't take that next step.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and therein lies the problem -- my wife is agnostic. I feel the Lord is calling me, but how am I going to do this if my wife doesn't want to be involved.

Don't get me wrong -- she's very supportive, but it's weird -- she, herself, won't take that next step.

They won't accept you if your wife does not have faith.

You both have to go through interviews both together and individually.

The call to be a deacon's wife is her's and what she must discern also, and being she has no faith in Jesus Christ, how can she feel the call from God?

Don't try to force it.

The order of priorities for a deacon are;

Family
Job
Ministry

Pray and follow God's will which until he gives your wife the gift of faith, the Deaconate isn't in his will for you right now.

Jim

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi BAChristian,

Nice to see you again here. Praying. Bob had talked about becoming a deacon, but our daughters were younger and being a deacon takes a lot of personal time to do God's work... I wasn't ready to become a deacon's wife. My daughters were not ready either.

Now they are grown up and perhaps down the road, Bob may contemplate it again some day.

I pray the best for you and your family. God writes straight with crooked lines.

God's peace,

Debbie

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi BAChristian,

Nice to see you again here. Praying. Bob had talked about becoming a deacon, but our daughters were younger and being a deacon takes a lot of personal time to do God's work... I wasn't ready to become a deacon's wife. My daughters were not ready either.

Now they are grown up and perhaps down the road, Bob may contemplate it again some day.

I pray the best for you and your family. God writes straight with crooked lines.

God's peace,

Debbie
Thanks Deb...

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hey it's the bible throwing deacon. duuuuudee3.
Miss Shelb... what's up!

It's been awhile hasn't? And I'm still not a Deacon...:sorry:

I dropped out of religious studies a few years ago... just didn't feel that it was the right time for me. :doh:

But... :idea: ... I have renewed interest because I feel that calling again. We'll see what happens.

I still have deaconwoody.com reserved just in case... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums