Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I recently graduated with an associate's and wanted to finish up by getting my bachelor's through an online degree program. I had really wanted to attend a certain university and got accepted there. I pretty much got settled in, paid my acceptance fee, completed the online orientation, went through the headache of submitting most of my documentation, etc. and only just found out some of what they will be teaching.

I've attended secular colleges before, but they weren't super overt in their teachings. This school on the other hand is really vocal in their immorality and agendas.

My question is, is it wrong of me as a Christian to participate there? I know on one hand Paul tells us that to not associate with the immoral that we would have to leave this world, yet on the other, the Bible tells us to flee immorality, not to love the world, and that we cannot have two masters. If I have a choice, should I choose a school that is less pushy in their beliefs? I'm really afraid of supporting something wrong and I want to make sure I am steadfast in Christ. I really just don't know if it's a bad thing if I attend and I would like to hear opinions and advice. Prayers are appreciated too as I try to make a decision - as class starts in 15 days!

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
what kind of pagan ceremony they make you participate in?
for example, i think if you go to that secular university you are going to study science, science is science, you are not guilty of nothing for attend to that university unless they make you deny jesus deny christianity etc

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
should I choose a school that is less pushy in their beliefs?

This is something you will need to deal with throughout your life living in this world. It sounds like your faith is strong and you can be salt & light at this school. If you are able to identify and avoid their deception you are needed there to guide those who are lost.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
f I have a choice, should I choose a school that is less pushy in their beliefs? I'm really afraid of supporting something wrong and I want to make sure I am steadfast in Christ. I really just don't know if it's a bad thing if I attend and I would like to hear opinions and advice. Prayers are appreciated too as I try to make a decision - as class starts in 15 days!

If you can change then change.
If you can't keep your head down, keep quite and work hard. Decline invite to anything doddgy, if anything you are at starts turning into a drinking session etc leave.

Be the boring guy always working.

Don't put your hand up and identify as the bible believing Christian.
1/ you will attract trouble from everywhere.
2/ you will be marked down.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something you will need to deal with throughout your life living in this world. It sounds like your faith is strong and you can be salt & light at this school. If you are able to identify and avoid their deception you are needed there to guide those who are lost.
But will giving money to this institution be supporting their immoral messages and teachings?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
But will giving money to this institution be supporting their immoral messages and teachings?

People give money to the catholic church and that gets used to cover up scandals and protect pedophiles, lobby against laws that would punish said pedophiles, etc.

It isn't just the secular world where institutions are rife with sin and false teachings.

I'd just do it. Once it's done it's out of the way then you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

in this case the university is the caesar

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

In following this thread I just have to wonder just what "teachings" are you objecting to. I suspect that it might be evolution. Keep in mind that a great many Christians, like myself, find no problem with the theory and some of the leading researchers in the field are themselves Christian. In biology classes pay close attention as to just why the theory is so widely accepted. If you dispute the theory it is wise to know just what the theory says and doesn't say. "Know thy enemy."

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've attended secular colleges before, but they weren't super overt in their teachings. This school on the other hand is really vocal in their immorality and agendas.
If you feel this school is really immoral then I wouldn't attend or support them in any way. There are many schools to choose from. BTW if it is a primarily an on-line school, make sure they are fully accredited by the same accrediting bodies as your state college.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In following this thread I just have to wonder just what "teachings" are you objecting to. I suspect that it might be evolution. Keep in mind that a great many Christians, like myself, find no problem with the theory and some of the leading researchers in the field are themselves Christian. In biology classes pay close attention as to just why the theory is so widely accepted. If you dispute the theory it is wise to know just what the theory says and doesn't say. "Know thy enemy."
One example is sexual promiscuity; perpetuating the idea that it is freedom. Another example is that abortion is not harmful or wrong.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Can I ask how old you are and how long you've been a Christian? I see you're already married, which is highly unusual for a traditional college aged student. I'm thinking on account of that you're older.

I've known kids who've started college at 15, 16, in dual enrollment programs. My girlfriend did that. That's a little more impressionable of an age. Still there haven't been any classes she's taken that have been a problem for her, at the 2 colleges she's been to. I haven't had that problem you've described either, at a big state university. I'm a little befuddled as to what you're fearful of encountering. Are there classes you object to that you'd be required to take? If so what are they & what is it that you object to about them?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
One example is sexual promiscuity; perpetuating the idea that it is freedom.

University students are intelligent adults. How does the university promote sexual promiscuity?

Another example is that abortion is not harmful or wrong.

Abortion is a legal medical procedure. No one promotes abortion.

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To an extent, yes, it will. This is a fact you should give its due consideration, but no more. If you have been frequently in prayer over time for God to lead you to the right school, then there may be a special reason He wants you there. If you have not, you may a lot of praying (over His Word--Do not neglect Its power) to do over the next week or so. In any case, I would not proceed without a clear, God-glorifying indication that your pathway is sure with regard to this. Schooling (even as little as 2 years-worth) can alter a young person's life dramatically.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
A lot of this comes down to your faith and whether you believe God has placed you at this institution or you’re hoping He doesn’t object. Your spiritual maturity is also a factor. If you are easily influenced at present you can expect the same elsewhere. Setting is of little consequence.

I can only share my experiences. I’m called to fashion and will attend school away from home. Everything related to it is secular. From the sewing classes I’m taking to the eventual designs I’ll craft.

But I’m not worried. I’m thankful for the trust He has in me to be a light where there is little to none. He’s hewn my faith and toughened my mettle. I’m prepared for the task at hand.

What matters most isn’t the school, their philosophy, or the students. What’s imperative is that I’m rooted and conscious of the work at hand. Shining a light, aiding the lost, and ministering to women through my work.

He has overcome everything I’ll face. I must operate in the knowledge of the victory I’ve received. The battle is His. Not mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is hard for us to be objective about this matter because some schools are way Left-wing, but others are less militant about it. As a result, a thoughtful student can take in the biased POVs, realize them for what they are and why they are deficient...and come away having gotten a balanced, well-rounded education. It also depends on what the course of study is.

However, there are other schools that are Liberal and unfair to students with traditional beliefs to the point of really discriminating against them.

Which of these describes the one that you are planning to "attend" we do not know, tuliplane, and perhaps you do not know yourself, having only picked up the warning signs late in the process.

As for the morality or wisdom involved with financially supporting the school, that's probably moot point now, considering that you have already made a significant payment and the semester is about to begin. But tuition payments made in return for the classes offered to students are not the same as a charitable contribution to the college made by a benefactor, sponsor, etc..

You are planning for online courses, not on-campus study, and it's too late to switch schools at this time; so the best approach might be to complete the first semester's work and then transfer those credits to another college.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I recently graduated with an associate's and wanted to finish up by getting my bachelor's through an online degree program. I had really wanted to attend a certain university and got accepted there. I pretty much got settled in, paid my acceptance fee, completed the online orientation, went through the headache of submitting most of my documentation, etc. and only just found out some of what they will be teaching.

My question is, is it wrong of me as a Christian to participate there? I know on one hand Paul tells us that to not associate with the immoral that we would have to leave this world, yet on the other, the Bible tells us to flee immorality, not to love the world, and that we cannot have two masters. If I have a choice, should I choose a school that is less pushy in their beliefs? I'm really afraid of supporting something wrong and I want to make sure I am steadfast in Christ. I really just don't know if it's a bad thing if I attend and I would like to hear opinions and advice. Prayers are appreciated too as I try to make a decision - as class starts in 15 days!
It would be a mistake to go to a place that makes you feel so bad.
Pick another school!
Why do you want to go to this one "so bad"?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One example is sexual promiscuity; perpetuating the idea that it is freedom. Another example is that abortion is not harmful or wrong.
The problem is that *most* colleges teach this now. It's very, very hard to find a school which doesn't promote a morally whacked agenda anymore.

It's very hard. Focusing on the good, working toward a specific goal, avoiding classes and activities which will pretty much dunk you into stuff you would prefer to avoid (like a class called "Human Sexuality and Post-Modernism", or a "Womyn's Day March") should help. If there are conservative Christians on campus, find them, and hang with them. Don't get overly immersed in the hang out, party culture. Study, pray, be decent to people, graduate.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No. It will be paying the price for your education. Your small contribution to their funds will not make a difference.

Upvote 0