Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I feel like i have been in a state of unbelief for years, I feel no influences of the Holy Spirit, or God drawing me back. Yet earlier in life I thought myself to be saved and a christian - but I never found I got going in my christian life - I felt inauthentic, its too much in my head. Add to that reading theologies like Barth, Bultmann and Kierkkegarrd meant I had a rather different understanding from most christians around me.

But I think at some point early on I got into the dispensationalist understanding of salvation (from a Scofield Bible we had) - and I probably took that on board as the true interpretation and assented to that, but didn't go very far with it (for I don't know that anyone else in our family including my missionary father held that understanding). But maybe i have a theological conflict. I am wondering if one embraces a particular theology or soteriology then does one need to continue in that? When you are young and you find all this explanation in a Bible one tends to take it as what has to be believed.

But in believing its always been how to get head and heart together? I have felt like I believed but then its only been in my head. So how does one get head and heart together?

Last edited:

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I feel like i have been in a state of unbelief for years, I feel no influences of the Holy Spirit, or God drawing me back. Yet earlier in life I thought myself to be saved and a christian - but I never found I got going in my christian life - I felt inauthentic, its too much in my head. Add to that reading theologies like Bultmann and Kierkkegarrd meant I had a rather different understanding from most christians around me.

But I think at some point early on I got into the dispensationalist understanding of salvation (from a Scofield Bible we had) - and I probably took that on board as the true interpretation and assented to that, but didn't go very far with it (for I don't know that anyone else in our family including my missionary father held that understanding). But maybe i have a theological conflict. I am wondering if one embraces a particular theology or soteriology then does one need to continue in that? When you are young and you find all this explanation in a Bible one tends to take it as what has to be believed.

But in believing its always been how to get head and heart together? I have felt like I believed but then its only been in my head. So how does one get head and heart together?
Not sure if I understood your post correctly, but:

Biblical term "heart" does not mean feelings. It means the inner world of yours, your center of being, your true self hidden from the public.

You do not need to "feel" Christian, the only thing you need is to be a Christian.

I myself am some kind of churchy "outsider" too, because I read Kierkegaard, Leibniz and other names todays Christians know nothing about. But thats OK. All cannot be the same.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of Christians go through multiple theological phases. They learn some things here, some things there, other ideas they may eventually abandon or grow away from.

You're not the only one on this path. I'm there, too, and still learning.

Prayer is a wonderful and the best place to start.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder at times if I might be a hypocrite, how can I know if I am?
Edit; forgive me, I misunderstood the question.

No, @dms1972 , you're not a hypocrite. You're just learning. Keep learning! That's fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Get the fact right and everything else will fall into place.
Do you know for certain that Jesus really lived?
That he was crucified, burried and that his tomb was found to be empty?

How do you account for the historic facts about Jesus?

May I suggest that you find a church that practises what it preaches and attend it every sunday. Be honest, you are searching and ask challenging questions, hold the preacher to account for how he uses scripture and how he reasons.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I’m with @Gracia Singh your relationship with Christ is a journey. We do the best we can learning the teachings of Christ and sometimes we remove things and other times we add things that we believe to be truer to what Christ intended. Also sometimes our faith will be like being on top of a mountain where your relationship with God is very intimate and sometimes our faith seems like a Valley where God seems far away. Understand this is very normal.

God’s blessings,

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I feel like i have been in a state of unbelief for years, I feel no influences of the Holy Spirit, or God drawing me back. Yet earlier in life I thought myself to be saved and a christian - but I never found I got going in my christian life - I felt inauthentic, its too much in my head. Add to that reading theologies like Barth, Bultmann and Kierkkegarrd meant I had a rather different understanding from most christians around me.

One doesn't need to continue in a particular cognitive idea about salvation in Christ. Rather, if that idea is false, thereby distorting the face of God to a person (as intellectualism and moralism can often do), it ought to be abandoned in favor of Truth.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi,

Firstly, you need a new heart. Only God can give that to you. If you have turned away from your old life and accepted Christ as Lord and Saviour, then you are born again. This is not just an intellectual belief in a set of facts, but a life changing decision of your will.

If indeed you are born again, I suggest that you scrap all your theology and preconceived notions. Study the Bible for yourself. I'd suggest the gospel of John to start with. Ask God to open your eyes to the truth in His word. You can, and should, ask for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation to help you. Lord Jesus said that one of the roles of the Holy Spirit is to lead us into Truth. Remember that Truth is a Person - Lord Jesus. You need to know in your heart who Jesus is, and what He has done for you by His death and resurrection. That will give you some stability. Once you have assurance that you are born again, you could read Romans. It's a summary of the gospel. Ask God to lead you to the right teachers and preachers. If you really mean business, get a copy of "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee. Read it prayerfully. It's a spiritual book so a clever intellect is of no use.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A genuine faith is a faith which loves God and neighbour. Faith is about finding the truth to be greater than your mind can conceive or comprehend. His unconditional love is divine for example, everything else is merely human teaching about Him. It is Him you want. Jesus says in John 14 that all those who do Father's will will be inhabited by the living God.

To find the living Word we need to follow the truth in S(s)pirit before we arrive at Heaven's Door. Jesus dwells in our hearts it is there that you find Him. If you let The Word guide your spirit in love for God, self and neighbour you will see Him enter your heart time and again. Each time you endeavour to love someone with God's loving truth for example.

God wants us to have a living active faith in Him based on the truths of Scripture and in the love of God. Such a life is awesome and very dynamic.

A God loving heart is always in His peace no matter how hectic life might be. Please do seek after a living relationship with Him, whatever the cost. He is invaluable to know on a personal basis.

Peace.

John 14:23
Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

yes brother dispensationalism is not necessarily bad, as far as categorizing some of the old testament and new testament, but what you need is Jesus power, not a theology class. I don't recommend the theology forum here for you, or anyone else for that matter. People like to debate problematic passages or debatable passages. That is not how God created the word. The word is to be read chapter by chapter and applied. you don't take one verse here, and one verse there, and make an essay on a particular theology. See theology is mans understanding of Gods word. What you need is your understading of it. I like twitter, twitter has lots of great christians who are on fire and want to serve the Lord. CF does have some, but most of them get scared away, because people are so mean here. People like to make others believers like themselves. We are all different and bring something unique to the table. I don't care if someone doesn't believe in a rapture, or gifts of the spirit, or anything else I believe, I think all that is secondary. Who cares about that. I know, many many theologians are turning over right now in anger. And thats fine, I don't care about them. I care about you. I recommend, unpluggin, and just reading the Bible. Dont' let any social media influence you or CF poster. If you are talking to toxic people, get out of that conversation. God does not want you there. This is why this forum has issues. But seek the Lord while He may be found.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How about writing you own creed in your own words? the we can explore your theology.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Good day DMS. As the Ephesian Church was told in Revelation chapter 2, o back to your first Love Jesus Christ. Go back to the cross and empty tomb. Live a Gospel focused life.

There is a highly recommended book on this. It’s called the Gospel Centered Life. Highly recommend it.

Stay in God’s Word, His revelation to us the Bible daily. PM me for approaches to being in God’s Word daily with the goal of reading it all in 12-18 months.

When it comes to various theologies or theologians? Test all things with God’s Word.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

You need to check any theology put forth and check it against the bible ... HIS word is the final authority. Always pray for the Holy Spirit to be with you when you study.

The bible interprets itself. It takes a lot of dedicated study. You can do it! ;o)

2 Peter 1:20

King James Bible
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How about writing you own creed in your own words? the we can explore your theology.

Hi, thanks for your comment. I wish I knew my own beliefs, thoughts, but I was in such confusion I could not live with in it, and have somewhat dissociated from them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would read the Bible and only the Bible. Have 2-3 different translations so you can check the verses you are reading between them. Read your Bible and pray about what you are reading. Remember any other book and theologians are using the Bible +the authors own thoughts. Let the Bible itself be your guide.
Of course you don't need to continue, everybody grows and learns and changes.

2 Tim 3:16-17 NKJV
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Yes brother, seek Jesus while He may be found. If there is anyone on your life that you harbor forgiveness to, forgive them in Jesus name. Be free from the bondage of bitterness. Allow the gospel to conquer that in your life. Also if there is anyone that you have hurt that you have not apologized to, do so tonight. Don't wait. We had a message at church about forgiveness, I thought about some people that I had not forgiven, and pray for God to reveal more of those. but also I reached out to people that needed to forgive me. Our grandfather and aunt on my dad's side had a daughter that was a lesbian, twenty or thirty years ago. They basically kicked her out of the family. Which is horrid. They were christians, but old school christians. So I wrote a note to her daughter saying I apologize for not standing up, when I was younger and that I wanted to apologize to her and ask for her to forgive me. I can't speak for other family members, but I wanted her to know that her and her momma are accepted, and will always be loved in our family. The grandfather, the aunt, and his child (who was a lesbian) are all passed away now. But they passed away not giving and receiving forgiveness. I loved my aunt (I knew she was lesbian) but she was one of the most loving and awesome women I ever knew. She had a girl scout troop who loved her and she took them camping and did all sorts of activities with those young women. I was writing this note and it was very emotional for me. My aunts daughter, is an atheist now. And she has an email that says "pagan 86". So I pray in Jesus name that this will break down generational curses in our family, breaking the flood gates of love and forgiveness to flow in our family.

please pray for the situation,

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Yes sir, doctrine is important. But I would not read theological textbooks, I would read the Bible. There is an app called you version, it allows you to read the Bible in a year. You can start whenever. Or wait for new year. But theology is by definition an interpretation of scripture, which means it has a human element to it. God's word is God's word. There is no human element to it. The Bible is biased, yes. But biased toward the truth of the matter, there is no fleshly element to it. I am dispensationalist too, but reading too many books can cause doubt. Because what happens is man tries to answer questions about the Bible. I don't even know if those questions are supposed to be answered. If everything in the Bible was straightforward, we would tend to write up a summary and use that summary as a substitution for the actual word of God. So my last post was simply a diversion. Theology is important, but seeking the Lord, praying, having a personal time with God every single day, that is what real living is. Not debating with strangers about doctrine.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is more impressed by your obedience to Him than your knowledge of Him. Obedience should come now, theology can come later in time. I have talked to many athiests that dont' believe in the Bible, but used to. I asked them, "did you ever repent when you were saved?" None of them said yes. So doubt and confusion comes from disobedience, not from a lack of books on theology. I have probably 15,000 dollars worth of books in my library, they have caused more confusion than help. The last 15 years I have only used them to do searches on topics, I would never just sit and read through them. Many of them contradict each other, they are man's words. They have good motives for doing them. But seminaries are not needed, classes on how to preach are not needed. Bible colleges, unnecessary. And I went to probably the best bible college in the nation. What you want is a consistent daily time of reading. And if you need help interpreting, buy yourself "Haly's Bible handbook." It mentions backround of many passages. But even that is not really needed. The Holy Spirit Himself will teach you, will be your professor, will be your pastor. But church is a good thing. Churches are where we can live out what we learn all week in the Bible. To serve one another, to ask questions, to confess, and to plant relationships.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, thanks for your comment. I wish I knew my own beliefs, thoughts, but I was in such confusion I could not live with in it, and have somewhat dissociated from them.
Trying to keep even your own rules is not really possible, yet trying to do good stuff for others has lots of possibilities. Start with what you do know and use it. Get involved with other people struggling and help them. You need to have a reason to know, because you seem to be to academic and wanting to know in order to know, while wanting to know to help other and become better at helping others is a worthy reason to know.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0