✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
English Standard Version:

Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?
Where is the quotation from?

Barnes explained:

The difficulty in the case arises from the fact that no such passage as the one here quoted is found in so many words in the Old Testament, nor any of which it can fairly be regarded as a quotation. The only solution of the difficulty which seems to me to be at all satisfactory, is to suppose that the apostle, in the remark made here in the form of a quotation, refers to the Old Testament, but that he had not his eye on any particular passage, and did not mean to quote the words literally, but meant to refer to what was the current teaching or general spirit of the Old Testament; or that he meant to say that this sentiment was found there, and designed himself to embody the sentiment in words, and to put it into a condensed form.
He has made the spirit to dwell in us?

The word "made" is not in the Greek. The verb is He caused to dwell
κατῴκισεν (katōkisen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

It could be translated causatively. New International Version:

Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us?
Does "spirit" refer to the human spirit or the Holy Spirit?

I think it refers to the Paraclete indwelling Holy Spirit. Berean Standard Bible:

Or do you think the Scripture says without reason that the Spirit He caused to dwell in us yearns with envy?
Who is doing the yearning? Who is the subject of this clause?

yearns
ἐπιποθεῖ (epipothei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1971: From epi and potheo; to dote upon, i.e. Intensely crave possession.

He is the same one who caused the Paraclete to dwell in us: God. Let's see the context, New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition:

4b Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
The context before the verse mentions "God".

5 Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, “God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6But he gives all the more grace; therefore it says,
God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
The context after the verse also mentions "God".

My paraphrase:

God yearns jealously to let the Paraclete dwell in us.
See also The indwelling Spirit was released if and only if Jesus died.

Reactions: Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
English Standard Version:

Where is the quotation from?

Barnes explained:

He has made the spirit to dwell in us?

The word "made" is not in the Greek. The verb is He caused to dwell
κατῴκισεν (katōkisen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

It could be translated causatively. New International Version:

Does "spirit" refer to the human spirit or the Holy Spirit?

I think it refers to the Paraclete indwelling Holy Spirit. Berean Standard Bible:

Who is doing the yearning? Who is the subject of this clause?

yearns
ἐπιποθεῖ (epipothei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1971: From epi and potheo; to dote upon, i.e. Intensely crave possession.

He is the same one who caused the Paraclete to dwell in us: God. Let's see the context, New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition:

The context before the verse mentions "God".

The context after the verse also mentions "God".

My paraphrase:

See also The indwelling Spirit was released if and only if Jesus died.
That fits nicely with "...the Spirit Himself intercedes-for us with inexpressible groanings." Romans 8:26

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0