Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It isn't compassionate to encourage people to embrace a false version of reality

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that the desire to be sexually involved with a member of the same sex is “objectively disordered” (2358). But for some, them’s fightin’ words.

Take Fr. James Martin, S.J., for example. In a 2017 interview with columnist Jonathan Merritt, Fr. Martin reaffirmed the position he took in his book Building a Bridge, namely, that this language in the Catechism is “needlessly hurtful” and should be replaced with the more pastoral language of “differently ordered.”

I don’t know if Fr. Martin still holds this view. In a 2018 article for America Magazine, he presents the Church’s official teaching on the objective disorder of same-sex sexual activity and the disorder of the desire for it. He then says, “As a Catholic priest, I have…never challenged those teachings, nor will I.”

Perhaps we could push back a bit on this last claim since he routinely celebrates events and organizations that publicly oppose Church teaching. Regardless, we still need to address the question: are sexual desires for members of the same-sex disordered or merely different?

Continued below.
Different or Disordered?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It isn't compassionate to encourage people to embrace a false version of reality

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that the desire to be sexually involved with a member of the same sex is “objectively disordered” (2358). But for some, them’s fightin’ words.

Take Fr. James Martin, S.J., for example. In a 2017 interview with columnist Jonathan Merritt, Fr. Martin reaffirmed the position he took in his book Building a Bridge, namely, that this language in the Catechism is “needlessly hurtful” and should be replaced with the more pastoral language of “differently ordered.”

I don’t know if Fr. Martin still holds this view. In a 2018 article for America Magazine, he presents the Church’s official teaching on the objective disorder of same-sex sexual activity and the disorder of the desire for it. He then says, “As a Catholic priest, I have…never challenged those teachings, nor will I.”

Perhaps we could push back a bit on this last claim since he routinely celebrates events and organizations that publicly oppose Church teaching. Regardless, we still need to address the question: are sexual desires for members of the same-sex disordered or merely different?

Continued below.
Different or Disordered?

It based on opinions (each have their own opinion) and there are all kinds of opinions out there ... whether religious or secular.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It based on opinions (each have their own opinion) and there are all kinds of opinions out there ... whether religious or secular.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

But the issue here is Catholic teaching. And the Church teaches that same-sex attraction and unions are objectively disordered. Try tho the Jesuits might, there's just no denying it.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hm.

Seems odd.

If the teaching is that they are disorded, "differently ordered" would be inaccurate.

Although, they might add that opposite-sex desires are often disordered, if that's the teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
tumblr_mfv9zsg3a31s1q22go1_500.gif

• Winner
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In a 2018 article for America Magazine, he presents the Church’s official teaching on the objective disorder of same-sex sexual activity and the disorder of the desire for it. He then says, “As a Catholic priest, I have…never challenged those teachings, nor will I.”
Ha! He made me laugh.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow that covers a broad spectrum. But we are discussing the Catholic Church.

I understand ... but ... what I see throughout the various congregations (the people themselves) regardless of the teaching within their particular church ... the people have varying opinions on the matter.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I understand ... but ... what I see throughout the various congregations (the people themselves) regardless of the teaching within their particular church ... the people have varying opinions on the matter.

People have a variety of opinions on the matter because they are relying on their own reasoning, and NOT on God's wisdom in the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People have a variety of opinions on the matter because they are relying on their own reasoning, and NOT on God's wisdom in the matter.

I would agree with this.

• Friendly
Upvote 0