✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
novcncy said:
Nope, you're not crazy. God has definitely promised to meet our NEEDS. Phillipians 4:19 Actually, Phillippians 4 talks about how the Phillippians, although needy, through giving to God and taking care of Paul, would have their need met.

There is a big difference between a need and a want. Tithing does not mean that God will give you Mercedes. He may provide a Ford Focus instead, but it will meet your needs to get from point A to B. Trusting God to put food on the table, like George Mueller, is different from expecting God to provide the Brut and Caviar.

The prosperity gospel teaches that unless you give, you will have financial difficulty, and if you give, you will have inexplicable bounty. The motivation in giving to God, is to get great gain from God.

But God does not care for His children based on their giving. He will provide for their needs, and as a further challenge, He tells us to tithe. Malachi 3:10, 1 Corinthians 16:2 When things are tight, it takes faith to obey and to tithe. But if we do, God promises us a blessing. Not riches, a blessing. And as you've personally experienced, as you're seeing in this thread, those with the biggest blessings often are the least expensive. It may not seem like a lot of money to some folks to get a 25 dollar rebate check, but when that's exactly how much you need, exactly when you need it, it might as well be the jackpot lotto ticket. I think that those who are trusting God to provide for their needs are more blessed than those who have enough money to buy whatever they want. God loves a cheerful giver, but that giver is happy to give, not because he expects a huge payback, but rather, because God has given him so much, and he is happy to obey his Lord.

Do you see how the motivation, and the results, of the prosperity gospel differ with God's pattern of giving?

That's a great way to put it. Actually, I am already incredibly rich, and I think I tend to forget that. I enjoy air conditioning during these Louisiana summers. I get plenty of good, tasty food. The bills are paid right now. My 1999 Taurus still runs great. My husband's little Hyundai Accent is saving us tons of gasoline money. On and on. Thanks to the Lord for all these comforts.

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lenora56 said:
That's a great way to put it. Actually, I am already incredibly rich, and I think I tend to forget that. I enjoy air conditioning during these Louisiana summers. I get plenty of good, tasty food. The bills are paid right now. My 1999 Taurus still runs great. My husband's little Hyundai Accent is saving us tons of gasoline money. On and on. Thanks to the Lord for all these comforts.

Yeah, excellent point, Lenora. If anyone in the states is feeling down, perhaps they should check out Bombay, Bangkok, the Honduras....anywhere in the third world. Also, despite our material status, we are rich in Christ, which is riches indescribable.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
novcncy said:
Yeah, excellent point, Lenora. If anyone in the states is feeling down, perhaps they should check out Bombay, Bangkok, the Honduras....anywhere in the third world. Also, despite our material status, we are rich in Christ, which is riches indescribable.

:amen:

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believing that God wants to bless us is a Theologicial problem, IMHO. Believing that God want's to bless us based upon a measure of faith is somewhat closer to the mark but still lacks a basic Teological truth. This is where I find most pentecostal's in Theology.

What God actually does is Glorify Himself, if that is through my blessing then ok, if it's based upon my measure of faith, then ok, but!, if my being beaten and chained brings Him Glory then also ok, it's not about me. This should be the baptist' view.

I think this is the basic difference between most Pentecostal's and many baptists. This is changing as some of our teaching is based on seekers thinking. This tends to bring on preaching about our lives being better once we are saved. I would ask Peter, James, Mark or Luke if this is true.

This difference is in the debatables side of things and should never cause us to lose fellowship.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our church has gradually changed, and we get more exercise than we used to! :D We used to just sing older hymns, 1st, 2nd and 4th verse. Okay, sometimes we sang all 4. Nothing against older hymns, mind you. I like contemporary and praise and worship also though.

White Horse said:
Pentacostals get more exercise on Sunday than Baptists do. :clap:

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Amongst the Flock said:
Read Psalm 149 or Psalm 150. Pentecostal sing because of the joy of salvation and are so excited that we have been set free from the law of sin and death and let every member of our body shout out in praise. Psalm 150 talks about how to dance and praise the Lord with clashing cymbals and pretty much let lose for the Lord.

There is nothing in the Bible that says watch the choir sing or stand like a stiff board and mumble under our breath.

I am not saying that baptists don't praise the Lord just because they have a different approach. I know Baptist that lift hands and get fired up for Jesus when they sing. You don't have to lift your hands but if you want to there shouldn't be others restricting your worship style. There are plenty that attend Pentecostal churches that stand around and don't participate in the lifting of hands. Pentecostal churches just don't have a rule restricting people from clapping, dancing, or raising hands. We don't worry about how others worship. Biblically it says we can dance and shout to the Lord and have a free style of worship.

Often other say you are drawing attention to yourself or are a distraction. When we praise the Lord we should be in accord with one another and not worry what the other person is doing or how they sing. Everyone should be thanking the Lord personally for the blessings in their own life and how he is so faithful and true in everything we do.

Peace, Love, and Joy to all. :)

:scratch: What church have you been to?

Upvote 0

DawnTillery

Matthew 11:28
Aug 10, 2004
Michigan
✟25,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I attend a general baptist and I have attended pentacostal churches. I dont see really much difference besides pentacostals get a little more into their worshipping. Baptist tend to be a little bit more conservative, BUT.. I have seen some baptist get just as into their worshipping... I really ENJOY pentacostal preaching, I would really probably prefer to go to a pentacostal church, but I feel I was led to the church I am at now and if I ever left I would probably attend a pentacostal and if i felt comfortable I would stay there.
Now.. I am not cutting anyone down, but I have been at pentacostal churches where they set time aside for things that I dont believe will happen on a time frame. I think if the spirit hits you to do whatever, then thats fine, but not on a schedule. I also dont think there needs to be an hour of it, when we could be studying Gods word or singing praises, but thats my opinion not anyone elses. If I ever left my church I attend now because I moved or whatever, if I could find a pentacostal church, that didnt have things like that on a schedule but allowed people to worship as they wished I would attend there.
Thats my 2 cents.:)

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Heero Yuy said:
whats the difference between Baptist and Pentecostal
I think it would suprize us all if we realized just how many churches are "Bapticostal"-have a Baptist sign out front but are more Pentecostal than most churches with Pentecostal signs out front.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We left an important one out...Pentecostals believe if you are saved you will speak in tongues....then there's that pushing on the forehead thing that Baptists don't do.

I was so surprised no one had yet to mention the "Speaking intongues" thing.

;)

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Possibly also the belief about whether one can lose one's salvation. Most of the Baptists that I know (most of whom are SB) believe in once saved always saved. I'm thinking that that's not a Pentecostal belief, but maybe someone could enlighten me there.
Heero Yuy said:
So, the only difference is worship style? Baptist being more conservative?

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lenora56 said:
Possibly also the belief about whether one can lose one's salvation. Most of the Baptists that I know (most of whom are SB) believe in once saved always saved. I'm thinking that that's not a Pentecostal belief, but maybe someone could enlighten me there.

You're right. Pentecostals tend to be OSNAS.

Ginn said:
We left an important one out...Pentecostals believe if you are saved you will speak in tongues....then there's that pushing on the forehead thing that Baptists don't do.

Really? I've never been to a pentecostal church that teaches that. It's taught as the initial sign of baptism of the holy spirit, but not salvation.

I think the "one-ness" pentecostals, I can't recall the name of their denomination, do believe that but they are a minority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heero Yuy said:
diffrent language tonguse?:confused:

Well, yes and no.

Baptists generally believe that tongues are different human languages, which someone on the earth should be able to translate. The Bible general supports this view, although there is one part in Acts (Cornelius household) that is a little hard to understand. I know I sure don't understand it. At any rate, we do not deny that the Spirit can be manifested through tongues, but there are several criteria...first, an earthly language, secondly, as a sign to unbelievers, ie folks who know that you don't speak their language, and are thereby aware that a miracle of God is taking place. Generally, we believe that God has given us his entire word, and a knowledge of earthly language, and so since His entire word is revealed to all humanity, the gift of tongues is rarely, if ever, needed. This whole business of the nature of signs is essential. The Bible teaches in 1 Corinthians 14 that the gift of toungues is a sign not to believers, but to unbelievers. So what then is the point of manifestation of the Spirit in a room full of believers? Either someone is an unbeliever, or it's not really the Spirit of God, but it can't be both!

(Some) Pentecostals believe that tongues is a heavenly language, which only God knows, but is unknown to humanity and Satan and his demons. This position seems to require a creative interpretation of scripture, and an absurd stretch of logic. The stretch is that Satan and his demons used to live in Heaven, and Satan still goes to Heaven where he talks face to face with God....so how come he wouldn't know the "heavenly" language?

So obviously, I know more about the Baptist position on tongues than the Pentecostal one. In my opinion, this issue is one on which we can happily agree to disagree. While I disagree with my Pentecostal brethren, I do not feel that they are adding to or taking away from the gospel, so I take the position that "he who is not against us, is for us."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.