Did you grow up with firearms, or introduced later in life?

What's your history with firearms?

• I have been around firearms as long as I can remember; grew up with them.

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Developed a fondness for them later in life.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I'm visiting this forum out of curiosity and have no experience.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just thought it would be interesting to see where folks are coming from in their experience or sub-culture of firearms.

I grew up in Northern Idaho the son of a big game hunter and owner of a gun store. When my parents divorced, my mom married a cop.

My uncles were all log truck drivers and avid outdoorsmen. I grew up on the edge of town on a small horse ranch. I got my first BB gun at age 6 and my first .22 at age 10. I would routinely wander in the mountains of Idaho alone for hours at age 12. By 14, I was riding my horse 15-20 miles into the mountains and spending the night alone with nothing more than a .22 pistol and a Buck knife for protection.

Grew up with a gun on my hip, then went into the military. Got out and did some time in law enforcement as well. So I have been pretty much raised on firearms...
My Dad was a NYC Fireman and moonlighted as a security guard so guns were always in the house. Later we moved out of the city and my brothers and I got to target practice and hunt with both bows and rifles. My mom never liked guns so we were limited in our outings but gun safety was always a big deal around the house. Unfortunately safety wasn't as big a deal with some of my brother's friends and one of them left the safety off tripped and shot my brother in the leg. He wound up okay but nevertheless we didn't get to do too much hunting after that - it became more formal. We used to belong to a club where we'd have a big annual cookout after a hunt - those were fond memories of my childhood. In High School we had a rifle team and rifle club and the armory was located in the basement. That was the first time I ever shot a 45. I'm sure that armory is long gone in this age of school shootings but back then no one would have even thought that possible. It was all done very responsible and we were all raised to respect one another and always be cognizant of safety. After that I went into the military and became an Aviation ordinance petty officer. We were in G division embedded with Gunners mates and responsible for all the weapons on the ship. Needless to say I got to use many types of firearms. Hunting is really no longer a big focus of my life. My primary focus is bringing Christ to the nations these days but I do support responsible gun ownership. I really think our problem today isn't guns but the moral decay that is all around us that cheapens human life.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is intense, I know. The people in OBOB know me and my situation, but you and I have just met. I am female, four feet nine inches tall and I weigh about eighty five pounds. I was a victim of a brutal sexual assault twenty years ago. This will not happen again.

Pretty often, based on my appearance, I get rather condescending comments from men at the range. "You are an awfully small girl to be shooting that big gun, aren't you?" and the like. When I was drinking I won quite a few bottles of Jameson's over these comments. Now I shoot for checks written to support a local Women's Shelter.

My Poppa did three tours in Vietnam. He was not primarily a sniper. He and his wife currently live in Tel Aviv, but he belongs to the same gun club I do. When he lived here, he and I would go to the range together. He has a Weatherby rifle that he custom tuned and equipped with the finest optics available. He likes to shoot poker chips at 600 yards.

His gun safe sits next to mine. Israel frowns upon people bringing in firearms

You sound like a fighter with a lot of grit who has a firm grasp on her past and who she is. Very cool.

Your dad sounds very interesting as well. There is nothing harder than getting an old Marine from that era to share their experiences. My dad will not say a thing for 15 years about his tour, then one day just mention how much of a pain in the rear it was to bunk with Carlos Hathcock, the infamous "White Feather". What? Seriously?

And poker chips at 600yds is impressive. My only long range rifle is my old buffalo rifle, and at 1000yd competitions, I'm happy to hit a poker table...

Would love to hear more about your carry gun, which I'll be starting a thread about shortly...

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You sound like a fighter with a lot of grit who has a firm grasp on her past and who she is. Very cool.
Thanks ;o)

Actually the assault, coupled with another incident, left me with some pretty heavy baggage. I am doing better, but sometimes I peer into an abyss that threatens to overwhelm me.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks ;o)

Actually the assault, coupled with another incident, left me with some pretty heavy baggage. I am doing better, but sometimes I peer into an abyss that threatens to overwhelm me.

I would imagine so; shooting can be wonderful therapy that can restore a sense of security and control.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No experience with guns until my mid-50's. Jews as a rule aren't into hunting or firearms.
Did my first competition at age 61.
Now I am hooked on both!

I am a Jew (by birth) and I grew up with firearms. When I was a kid I went to a Jewish summer camp where shooting was one of the activities. I have hunted extensively and have done target shooting all my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is intense, I know. The people in OBOB know me and my situation, but you and I have just met. I am female, four feet nine inches tall and I weigh about eighty five pounds. I was a victim of a brutal sexual assault twenty years ago. This will not happen again.

Pretty often, based on my appearance, I get rather condescending comments from men at the range. "You are an awfully small girl to be shooting that big gun, aren't you?" and the like. When I was drinking I won quite a few bottles of Jameson's over these comments. Now I shoot for checks written to support a local Women's Shelter.

My Poppa did three tours in Vietnam. He was not primarily a sniper. He and his wife currently live in Tel Aviv, but he belongs to the same gun club I do. When he lived here, he and I would go to the range together. He has a Weatherby rifle that he custom tuned and equipped with the finest optics available. He likes to shoot poker chips at 600 yards.

His gun safe sits next to mine. Israel frowns upon people bringing in firearms

I believe that Annie Oakley, the legendary shooter, was a very small woman who could outshoot everyone.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
super visor.jpg
There's been a bit of a clean up in here
Please remember to
on target.jpg

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
No experience with guns until my mid-50's. Jews as a rule aren't into hunting or firearms.
Did my first competition at age 61.
Now I am hooked on both!
Unless you are a Jew in Israel then I'm sure you are into firearms a lot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Unless you are a Jew in Israel then I'm sure you are into firearms a lot

Actually there are quite a few Jews in Israel that are not into firearms, both religious and secular.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Law Enforcement family background so they have always been around. I seriously enjoy target and skeet as a "self challenge". I have several pellet rifles and when I can't get to the range or go hunting I will take them out to the woods and set up targets and shoot until the twitching is satisfied. None of my guns (about 20 of them) are what you would call top of the line. I don't worship them. (Actually, I like to visit pawn shops looking for a good deal and feel like I did something worthwhile when I rescue one. LOL.) I have several that are considered an insult by the "snub nosed" as I refer to people who are a bit snobbish. But the truth is I can't afford the best so I go for those I can tune with reloading and slight smithing techniques. One of my favorite sports here in Harris and Montgomery Co. Texas is hog hunting. I am still looking for that 200 pounder and would rather stalk all day and come home empty handed than to set up a trap.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks ;o)

If I may, I pray that you find the peace in Christ that he has for you. It is easy to say that nobody should have to go through that and they shouldn't. But I look forward to the day we can look backward from sitting at the foot of the throne of Christ and know that those days are gone. I have been sorely wronged in my life and found the best cure is to hand the rotten baggage to Christ and pray for the person to find salvation so that none should perish. It is difficult to do, but not impossible.

Upvote 0