Did the Old Testament allow mercy for criminals?

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I've been wondering about this recently. Given that Mosaic law requires criminals bring brought to the Elders for judgement, was it possible for someone to forgive someone and have the charges dismissed. For instance, could a husband in ancient Israel forgive a wife for adultery and not have her stoned, or a repentant criminal be granted a reduced sentence? I understand if this is unknown, I have just wondered about this recently.

Also, I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the site, please let me know if I need to move it. God bless you all.

It is not easy to sentence someone to death according to the code of Jewish law.

The Sanhedrin consisted of 23 judges,

There is no such thing as prison sentence in Jewish law,
it is counted as torture.

If going to prison is torture ,

how much more so stoning?

I cannot even picture someone being stoned to death.

Am sure Moses would never have allowed it.

A person can be stoned in other ways than stoning them to death literally.

Though it says that Paul helped the stoning of Stephen,
Why was Jesus not stoned?

It had nothing to do with the Romans, they were not intrested in religious squables, only when they upset and caused unrest in society.

Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
It is not easy to sentence someone to death according to the code of Jewish law.

The Sanhedrin consisted of 23 judges,

There is no such thing as prison sentence in Jewish law,
it is counted as torture.

If going to prison is torture ,

how much more so stoning?

A person can be stoned in other ways than stoning them to death literally.

It had nothing to do with the Romans, they were not intrested in religious squables, only when they upset and caused unrest in society.

It should be mentioned that it is said that,

Moses was the most humble person to walk on earth,

though pushed and pressured to the limit by the people,
he still stood and took them under his wing.

He stood in the breach for them otherwise they would have been destroyed.

He pleaded for them.

And put before himself.

"If You cannot forgive them of this their sin,
then strike my name out of the book You are writing."

And he is not named for the rest of that chapter.

Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been wondering about this recently. Given that Mosaic law requires criminals bring brought to the Elders for judgement, was it possible for someone to forgive someone and have the charges dismissed. For instance, could a husband in ancient Israel forgive a wife for adultery and not have her stoned, or a repentant criminal be granted a reduced sentence? I understand if this is unknown, I have just wondered about this recently.

Also, I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the site, please let me know if I need to move it. God bless you all.

The Mosaic Law was so harsh that if a woman had sexual relations with a boyfriend prior to meeting her husband and then tried to pass herself off as a virgin, the penalty for her so-called crime would be death by stoning on her father's porch. I'm not kidding. Here is what Deuteronomy 22:20-21 says: "If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you."

Fortunately, we believers no longer bound by the Mosaic Law and instead have God's grace (Romans 6:14).

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Moses facilitated it at least twice (Leviticus 24:10-16, Numbers 15:32-36).

Perhaps it was the rage of the mob.
Perhaps since they had recently handed Jesus over to be crucified and that hadn't contained his disciples's message, they decided to try something different.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus forgave the woman caught in adultery and in doing so did not contravene the law.

Jesus didn't condemn her (of course he had no authority to do that).

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Moses facilitated it at least twice (Leviticus 24:10-16, Numbers 15:32-36).

Execution can easily be done in an instant, if it meant taking the life of another human being.

What do you think is meant by,
"Let the dead bury their dead." ?

Put them outside the camp, for a limited time or indefinately.

"Jew" has become a curse word,

but the correct description is,
"Sons and daighters of Israel"

What do you say about a brother executing a brother,

or a sister?

Perhaps it was the rage of the mob.
Perhaps since they had recently handed Jesus over to be crucified and that hadn't contained his disciples's message, they decided to try something different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that justice, mercy, and faith are weightier matters of the law.

Sanhedrin.jpg

Upvote 0