Did Pope Francis Just Endorse ‘Parish Shopping’?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,724,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: The canonical anomaly, suggested by the Holy Father in an interview with CBS News, was once an anomaly but has become the norm among Catholics.

In an interview released on Wednesday, Pope Francis endorsed a practice that used to be frowned upon but now is a robust phenomenon among practicing Catholics: choosing their own parish.

Pope Francis granted an interview to Norah O’Donnell of CBS News — his first such television interview with an American network. While the full interview will be aired on 60 Minutes next month, excerpts were released on Wednesday dealing with the wars in Ukraine and Gaza, as well as climate change. The Holy Father’s responses were in line with his recent and frequent comments on those issues.

This comment though will not be considered as newsworthy, but remains noteworthy:

“I would say that there is always a place, always,” Pope Francis said, addressing those who do not see a place for themselves in the Catholic Church. “If in this parish the priest doesn’t seem welcoming, I understand, but go and look elsewhere, there is always a place. Do not run away from the Church. The Church is very big. … You shouldn’t run away from her.”

Pope Francis is suggesting what once was derisively known as “parish shopping.”

In canon law, a Catholic belongs to the parish in the territory of which he resides. There are exceptions to that, notably “personal parishes,” in which the parish includes those in certain “personal” categories, such as language, ethnicity, associations, campus, professions or liturgical traditions. Those are exceptions, though. The norm is that your parish is where you live.

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I would say that there is always a place, always,” Pope Francis said, addressing those who do not see a place for themselves in the Catholic Church. “If in this parish the priest doesn’t seem welcoming, I understand, but go and look elsewhere, there is always a place. Do not run away from the Church. The Church is very big. … You shouldn’t run away from her.”
Thank you, Holy Father. I will bear that in mind. :) I have done that in the past, many times, when I could not stand the abuses or the rock bands or the starry-eyed hippies spouting weird ideas; hopefully, I won't ever have to do that again in the future.

I'm not exactly within my parish jurisdiction, insofar as geography goes; but the parish closest to me is clustered with two others (all the same pastor), and the parish I'm attending now, I absolutely love.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟790,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think ideally it is better to go to the parish nearest you (it's just more convenient and you develop community with those who live near you instead of an hour away) but I don't follow my own advice. I do go to the second-closest one because it retains the old-school vibe.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟162,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't even really know parishes had territories until I read this article, though it does say that they don't really matter much anymore (I don't even know how one finds that information, unless it's just "whatever parish is closest to you").

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟762,154.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think what Pope Francis is saying is that it is better to go to another non-local (Catholic) parish than leave the church altogether, if someone is thoroughly disillusioned with their local church.

Obviously we should stick with our local parish if we can but there might come a time when it's not realistic.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think what Pope Francis is saying is that it is better to go to another non-local (Catholic) parish than leave the church altogether, if someone is thoroughly disillusioned with their local church.

Obviously we should stick with our local parish if we can but there might come a time when it's not realistic.
I completely agree. I remember hearing someone say once that the best Bible version to get is the one you'll actually read, the one that you can understand the best. I'd say the same thing applies to a parish: the best one to choose is the one where your spirit gets fed and leads you closer to Christ. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,245,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thank you, Holy Father. I will bear that in mind. :)
Pope John Paul II allowed it because he could see how many bad parishes were out there and he didn't want the faithful stuck in bad parishes. So, although not ideal, go for that which is good and true and beautiful and forget about the failing parishes where Jesus isn't King.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟762,154.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These days its easy for most people to get around, at least in the West. There was a time when there was a church in every suburb as people walked, and public transport is usually meagre on Sunday.

Some people drive quite a long way to get to mass. We've got 3 churches in our parish, with distances from our home around 5kms, 8kms and 20kms. I sometimes attend the 20kms church as the time suits me on Sunday evening (although I've been more involved with the closest church lately).

It's not parish shopping as it's in the same parish with the same priest, but it illustrates how easy it is to move around. My wife travels about 14 kms each way to her Baptist church even though there at least one much closer.

It's only since World War II that most people in Australia gradually managed to buy cars.

Increased mobility has had a lot to do with "church shopping".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums