Did Paul teach men to break one of these least commandments?

PostImpatica

Apr 15, 2019
Mckinney
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 19:16 a guy comes to Jesus and asks what he should do to enter heaven. Jesus responds by saying keep the commandments. Then the rich guy responds by asking which ones.

It's interesting that Jesus doesn't immediately respond by simply stating "the Ten Commandments". He only states 6. Then in Matthew 22:37 he states: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind". This makes 7 and then in John 13:34 Jesus states: A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

So in total Jesus only mentions 8 commandments total that I'm aware of.

Then in Matthew 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven

So the least of which commandments? the 8 or the 10. Actually he gave us one more so it would have to be 11? If we are to assume he was talking about all 11 then why does Paul say that we don't have to keep the 4th commandment? Is Paul guilty of teaching men to break one of the commandments?

Paul said in Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

Maybe Paul isn't teaching men to break the least of Christ's commandments because I never heard Christ mention the 10 commandments by name anywhere in the new testament. So maybe we do have a new set of commandments under Christ. I'm just trying to get my head around all of this.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 19:16 a guy comes to Jesus and asks what he should do to enter heaven. Jesus responds by saying keep the commandments. Then the rich guy responds by asking which ones.

It's interesting that Jesus doesn't immediately respond by simply stating "the Ten Commandments". He only states 6. Then in Matthew 22:37 he states: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind". This makes 7 and then in John 13:34 Jesus states: A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven

So the least of which commandments? the 8 or the 10. Actually he gave us one more so it would have to be 11? If we are to assume he was talking about all 11 then why does Paul say that we don't have to keep the 4th commandment? Is Paul guilty of teaching men to break one of the commandments?

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

Maybe Paul isn't teaching men to break the least of Christ's commandments because I never heard Christ mention the 10 commandments by name anywhere in the new testament. So maybe we do have a new set of commandments under Christ. I'm just trying to get my head around all of this.
Paul was speaking to the church in Rome, which had Jews (who were brought up to be Sabbath keepers) and Gentiles (who were never commanded to keep Sabbath). Jesus however, had a primarily Jewish audience. He wanted to make it clear that he wasn't advocating breaking the Law.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

At Mark 10:19 he repeats a list of commandments including "defraud not" from Leviticus 19:13. So to say "there are ten commandments" is a misnomer. To compile a list of "do's" and "don't's" would be extensive, so Jesus sums them all up with the first and second great commandments. If for love of God we do not do those things that offend God we have kept the first great commandment; if we do not do things that offend our neighbor we have kept the second great commandment.

Paul certainly never taught anyone to violate the law, in fact he said the law is good because it teaches us what sin is:

Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

And then again:

1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Paul even condemned the "discrepant Corinthian" for having a sexual relationship with a woman who previously had a sexual relationship with his father:

1Co 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you...that one should have his father's wife.

That isn't listed as a commandment at all, but is an especially grievous act against God:

Amo 2:7 A man and his father go in to the same girl, To defile My holy name.

In sum, all those things we are to avoid have been taught by the Church since the beginning. All those things we are required to do have also been taught. All-inclusive lists are lengthy and sometimes futile.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, we are under the New Covenant Law.... the Law of the Spirit Life (Romans 8:2). God writes these laws directly on our hearts by the Holy Spirit. Listen for the Holy Spirit, test the spirits by asking it if Jesus Christ has come in flesh, and then obey whatever the Holy Spirit tells you to do. Everything He says to do will be fulfilling the 2 greatest commandments, which are to 1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength, and 2) To love your neighbor as yourself.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Be more aware.
He always honored TORAH. All the commandments.

And said it will not pass away even to the end of the world.

And it won't

So maybe we do have a new set of commandments under Christ. I'm just trying to get my head around all of this.
No - no new set. TORAH is still TORAH, unchanged.

Don't struggle so hard to get your "head around all of this".

(I think)

Just read Scripture and believe God's Word is TRUTH.

Upvote 0