Did Paul lose ability to heal as time went on?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
On another board, some guy was posting about this, people in the thread seemed to know about and agree with the idea that Paul "lost the ability to heal".

I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone know about this?
The scripture says no such thing, so not sure where they got that idea from.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's what I thought too, Michael, thanks.
No worries.

I took a look at The sermon on the mount just now, it's a good read regarding answered prayer. The story right after the sermon demonstrates it well that it is based on faith. Since trust in God grows as we mature in the faith, Paul's trust would have been stronger later on, not less. Otherwise, why would anyone listen to what he had to say?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On another board, some guy was posting about this, people in the thread seemed to know about and agree with the idea that Paul "lost the ability to heal".

I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone know about this?

You must be referring to his advice to Timothy, near the end of Paul's life on earth, when he advised him to drink a little wine for his frequent illnesses.

If you go back to Acts, Paul could have sent to him one of his miraculous healing handkerchiefs Acts 19:11-12 but he did not.

Why didn't he? How you address this will determine what doctrine you hold.

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Cor 13:8 speaks of 3 particular gifts - tongues, prophecy & word of knowledge - having a time when they would cease, when that which is perfect will have come. Healing was not on the list to cease, fail or vanish away.

I didn't bring up Paul advising Timothy to drink wine for stomach problems, but Paul telling Timothy that did not mean Paul's handkerchiefs would no longer work - it was just diet advice - why not give simple advice and save a handkerchief for some other injury?

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
C'mon, Rockytop, c'mon man...
Paul could heal with handkerchiefs, Peter could heal if his shadow landed on people - yes, we know that God did the healing, not men, but for this OP, bear with me - I am trying to disprove an allegation from elsewhere that Paul's ability to heal diminished over time. I think that's silly.

The gifts are irrevocable, as was said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul healed a young man that fell out a 3rd story window, might have even raised him from the dead, I dunno.

Paul himself got bit by a deadly snake and sufferred no poison at Malta.

Paul didn't just sit in an office mailing out prayer-cloths, he was out and about...

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 13:8 speaks of 3 particular gifts - tongues, prophecy & word of knowledge - having a time when they would cease, when that which is perfect will have come. Healing was not on the list to cease, fail or vanish away.

I didn't bring up Paul advising Timothy to drink wine for stomach problems, but Paul telling Timothy that did not mean Paul's handkerchiefs would no longer work - it was just diet advice - why not give simple advice and save a handkerchief for some other injury?

You are arguing from silence in your last paragraph.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
C'mon, Rockytop, c'mon man...
Paul could heal with handkerchiefs, Peter could heal if his shadow landed on people - yes, we know that God did the healing, not men, but for this OP, bear with me - I am trying to disprove an allegation from elsewhere that Paul's ability to heal diminished over time. I think that's silly.

The gifts are irrevocable, as was said.

What was laid to you are facts from the bible.

In Acts, his handkerchiefs could heal, regardless of whatever faith the receiver had.

In Timothy, at the end of Paul's life, he offered common sense. In another passage in Timothy, it was that 2 Timothy 4:20: "Trophimus I left at Miletus sick."

Those are facts. What conclusion can one draw, without making arguments from silence?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where in Scripture does it state that everyone Paul prayed for was usually healed? The same for believers today.

Acts 19:11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:

12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

Notice, no mention of whether or not those who received those garments had to exercise faith of any kind?

This was what Mark 16:17-18 really meant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Understand God used Paul in this area. I dont see 'all" were healed. Plus don't see when one person is named as being sick would lead to the conclusion that Paul wasnt being used in that area.

So you are trying to say that, you believe there was at least one whom did not get healed, even after he touch the hankerchief or apron?

Upvote 0