Did Paul have knowledge of Moses and the Law before conversion?

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟327,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is the translation of the above into English (the entire paragraph)...

Matthew 23:1-4, "Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them."

What are the numbers: 23, 2, and 3? They're not part of Scripture, so why are they there?
What does "spake" mean? I haven't heard that word spoken by anyone, ever.
Why should anyone "observe" what they said? Were their words visible?
What on earth does "but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not" mean?

There are over 30 English Translations, including the KJV.

If you were to consider other scriptures, from the Same Christ, you might be better informed.

For instance, you are promoting the religious philosophy that Jesus wants the Disciples to do "Everything" the Pharisees told them to do, in order to prove that the Pharisees were "Experts" in the Law and Prophets. I tried to explain to you the Biblical Truth that the Levites had sole custody of the Oracles of God, and there was no other way to hear the Words God gave to Moses, except when the Scribes and Pharisees read from the Book of the Law. This is just Biblical Truth. It's different today as God has delivered HIS Oracles into our own homes, our own mind, before our own eyes. So we don't need some "minister of righteousness" to tell us what God is talking about. We just need faith in His Word's over the philosophy of "other" religious voices. As the example of Eve shows us.

But at that time, the Levitical Priesthood was growing old and "ready" to vanish away. We are in the New Covenant now, Jesus is our High Priest, and the Levitical Priesthood which gave Levi sole authority over the Oracles of God has become obsolete. Yes, the Pharisees were not willing to let it go, just as many mainstream preachers today still promote aspects of this old covenant.

But when we consider "Every Word" inspired by God, we can better understand Biblical Truth, if we "continue therein".

Matt. 16:5 And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.

6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.

8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

So then for those interested in God's Truth, He answers your question perfectly.

"What on earth does "but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not" mean?"

The Answer is clear. They "read" from the Book of the Law, but they didn't "Teach" from the Book of the Law.

As I have been trying to show you from Scriptures, The Pharisees had created a religion which "Taught for DOCTRINES the Commandments of men.

So Jesus, understanding the importance of God's Instruction, told every one, and His Disciples also, to listen to Moses, being read every Sabbath Day in the Synagogues.

But don't follow the "Doctrines" these mainstream preachers teach. Because they "say" they are teaching the Law of Moses, but they do not.

In Acts 15 this exact same thing took place. Peter and James kept the New Converts away from those religious men who claimed to preach Moses, and directed them instead, directly to the Law God gave Moses, and to the place where they could hear it, being read by the Scribes and Pharisees every Sabbath Day at the synagogues.

It's in every English translation, even yours.

Matt. 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, (Law of Moses) and from fornication,(Law of Moses) and from things strangled,(Law of Moses) and from blood.(Law of Moses)

21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

If the Pharisees were "experts" in the Law of Moses, they would have known Jesus like Zacharias and Simeon did.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are over 30 English Translations, including the KJV.

If you were to consider other scriptures, from the Same Christ, you might be better informed.

For instance, you are promoting the religious philosophy that Jesus wants the Disciples to do "Everything" the Pharisees told them to do, in order to prove that the Pharisees were "Experts" in the Law and Prophets. I tried to explain to you the Biblical Truth that the Levites had sole custody of the Oracles of God, and there was no other way to hear the Words God gave to Moses, except when the Scribes and Pharisees read from the Book of the Law. This is just Biblical Truth. It's different today as God has delivered HIS Oracles into our own homes, our own mind, before our own eyes. So we don't need some "minister of righteousness" to tell us what God is talking about. We just need faith in His Word's over the philosophy of "other" religious voices. As the example of Eve shows us.

But at that time, the Levitical Priesthood was growing old and "ready" to vanish away. We are in the New Covenant now, Jesus is our High Priest, and the Levitical Priesthood which gave Levi sole authority over the Oracles of God has become obsolete. Yes, the Pharisees were not willing to let it go, just as many mainstream preachers today still promote aspects of this old covenant.

But when we consider "Every Word" inspired by God, we can better understand Biblical Truth, if we "continue therein".

Matt. 16:5 And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.

6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.

8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

So then for those interested in God's Truth, He answers your question perfectly.

"What on earth does "but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not" mean?"

The Answer is clear. They "read" from the Book of the Law, but they didn't "Teach" from the Book of the Law.

As I have been trying to show you from Scriptures, The Pharisees had created a religion which "Taught for DOCTRINES the Commandments of men.

So Jesus, understanding the importance of God's Instruction, told every one, and His Disciples also, to listen to Moses, being read every Sabbath Day in the Synagogues.

But don't follow the "Doctrines" these mainstream preachers teach. Because they "say" they are teaching the Law of Moses, but they do not.

In Acts 15 this exact same thing took place. Peter and James kept the New Converts away from those religious men who claimed to preach Moses, and directed them instead, directly to the Law God gave Moses, and to the place where they could hear it, being read by the Scribes and Pharisees every Sabbath Day at the synagogues.

It's in every English translation, even yours.

Matt. 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, (Law of Moses) and from fornication,(Law of Moses) and from things strangled,(Law of Moses) and from blood.(Law of Moses)

21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

If the Pharisees were "experts" in the Law of Moses, they would have known Jesus like Zacharias and Simeon did.

You wrote "I tried to explain to you the Biblical Truth"... Well, I guess that you failed! Please tell us how you became the embodiment of all truth.

P.S. What are all those line-by-line numbers? They aren't part of the Bible, they're an addition. But I guess you know that, oh great teacher.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

One among us is adamant that Paul was not knowledgeable concerning Moses and the Law before conversion.

I would appreciate insight on this issue.

I have always had the impression that he was quite well informed in such matters.

Thanks for your help.
Hi and in Phil 3:6 and concerning the LAW having become FAULTLESS / AMEMPLOS is in the NOMINATIVE CASE which is the subject !!

And in Phil 2: 14 and 15 only the BODY OF CHRIST can also become FAULTLESS !!

The only other one to become FAULTLESS is found in Luke 1:6 and uses the same Greek / AMEMPLOS !!
There is NO ONE that compared with Paul !!

dan p

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0