Did Paul believe in an intermediate state (Sheol, Hades, Bosom of Abraham)?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul believed that after leaving his body he would be at home/present with the Lord:

Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. [2 Corinthians 5:8 ESV]

Similarly, Paul said:

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. [Philippians 1:21-24 ESV]

However, Luke 16:19-31 sheds some light on what happens to those who depart from the body. Specifically, the passage talks about the righteous being consoled in what is commonly known as the Bosom of Abraham:

19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’” [Luke 16:19-31 ESV]

Question: When Paul expressed his desire to depart from the body and be at home with the Lord, was he picturing himself being carried by angels to the Bosom of Abraham? Did Paul believe that Abraham's Bosom was a real place that he would immediately visit upon death (an intermediate state between death and the resurrection)?

Another way to phrase the question: what was Paul hoping would happen to him as soon as he died? What was Paul's theology on the afterlife?

• Informative
Reactions: Kilk1

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say pre-salvation, yes. However, once he learned what Jesus did, he should have eventually abandoned that belief realizing that the Bosom of Abraham was now empty.

When did Abraham's bosom become empty, and why?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul believed that after leaving his body he would be at home/present with the Lord:

Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. [2 Corinthians 5:8 ESV]

Similarly, Paul said:

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. [Philippians 1:21-24 ESV]

However, Luke 16:19-31 sheds some light on what happens to those who depart from the body. Specifically, the passage talks about the righteous being consoled in what is commonly known as the Bosom of Abraham:

19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’” [Luke 16:19-31 ESV]

Question: When Paul expressed his desire to depart from the body and be at home with the Lord, was he picturing himself being carried by angels to the Bosom of Abraham? Did Paul believe that Abraham's Bosom was a real place that he would immediately visit upon death (an intermediate state between death and the resurrection)?

Another way to phrase the question: what was Paul hoping would happen to him as soon as he died? What was Paul's theology on the afterlife?
"Absent from the body present with the Lord". Abraham's bosom or Sheol / Hades have passed for Christians. Those in the Body are now present with the Lord awaiting the ressurection of their bodies. Those not in the Body are in Sheol/Hades awaiting the final ressurection themselves where judgment will fall upon all. Some to everlasting life and others to condemnation.
Blessings

My take anyway. :)

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When did Abraham's bosom become empty, and why?

When Jesus was in the tomb for 3 days, he went to Sheol, which is the place that Old Testament people went. If they were deemed righteous, they went to "Abraham's Bosom" which was a paradise. However, if they were wicked and evil, they went to Hell. Hell is still there, but Abraham's Bosom is empty because when Jesus went down there, he took all of the occupants of the Paradise with Him to heaven.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,711.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would say pre-salvation, yes. However, once he learned what Jesus did, he should have eventually abandoned that belief realizing that the Bosom of Abraham was now empty.

"Absent from the body present with the Lord". Abraham's bosom or Sheol / Hades have passed for Christians. Those in the Body are now present with the Lord awaiting the ressurection of their bodies. Those not in the Body are in Sheol/Hades awaiting the final ressurection themselves where judgment will fall upon all. Some to everlasting life and others to condemnation.
How do you interpret the following regarding the intermediate state:

2Co 5:1 For we know that if our earthly tent we live inis destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal dwelling in the heavens, not made with hands. 2 Indeed, we groan in this tent, desiring to put on our heavenly dwelling, 3 since, when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 Indeed, we groan while we are in this tent, burdened as we are, because we do not want to be unclothed but clothed, so that mortalitymay be swallowed up by life.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
A little information on Abrahams bosom Luke 16:19-31

The first thing that should grab our attention is the way verse 16:19 of Luke starts out There was a certain rich man” Now take a look at Luke chapter 16:1 “There was a certain rich man....." Starting midway through chapter 14 and ending in chapter 16 verse 31 Jesus is teaching by way of parables. A parable is a comparison by sustained resemblance; it is an extended simile. The likeness or resemblance must be sought from the entire context.

(As an aside- Two ancient Greek manuscripts The Bezae Caulabrigiensis, and the Koridethian-Caesarean text include the words: eipen de kai heteran parabolen at the beginning of verse 19, which translate as “And He said also another parable” )

Now whether you agree this is a parable or not…. that is up to you; all contextual indications point in that direction ….. But the fact is… This (parable) is addressed to the Pharisees (Luk 16:14) The Pharisees, who believed in rewards and punishment immediately after death. Jesus told this to the Pharisees in light of their Talmudic traditions and beliefs. It was they… not Jesus, who coined the phrase “Abraham’s Bosom” as one of several afterlife locations. Jesus uses the parable to condemn the Pharisees and catch them in their own erroneous belief.
His intention was not to contradict the entire Old Testament by teaching survival after death. His primary intention was to show that the Pharisees were so evil that even if someone rose from the dead they still wouldn’t listen to him….. Just the opposite appears in Jesus teachings when we look at verses like in

Jhn 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
and
Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

And Jesus could not have denied the abundance of scripture from the Old Testament like that of Ecc 9:5,6,&10

5: For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
6: Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

10: Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest

How prophetic it was, as evidenced by his own resurrection from the dead, many of the Pharisees did not believe.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟41,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Good questions. We have been discussing this and related topics this week,
and some useful insights
have come out of the responses.
I have been considering this teaching:

2 Corinthians 12:
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know,
or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to
the third heaven.
And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—
4 how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not
lawful for a man to utter.

It occurred to me that until the death and resurrection, there was no way to ASCEND after death.
The Lord would have had to make that way. However, numerous verses on the coming
resurrection and day of judgment indicate that all await that day. Paul equates this third heaven
to paradise. So when the Lord seized the keys of Sheol, "He led captivity captive", he would have
brought forth the saints from below to a place "in the heavenlies".

1 Thessalonians 4:
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel,
and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds
to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Therefore, the "dead in Christ" arise from the dead, not from Sheol, but the new paradise
that he prepared for those who "sleep in Christ". This would include the thief on the cross,
as promised.
But what about natural Israel, or as Paul put it, "the circumcision", which was the sign of
the Abraham/Moses covenant? They would not have access to this third heaven paradise
"in Christ", if in unbelief of the Gospel, but if blameless under the Law, they should find
comfort in Sheol, until the resurrection.

Matthew 27:
Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth
quaked, and the rocks were split,
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
So, where are they now? Paradise, surely.
Then there is this:

Hebrews 12:
For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire,
and to blackness and darkness and tempest...
Referencing the covenant at Sinai.
22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem,
to an innumerable company of angels,
23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn registered in heaven, to God the
Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks
better things than Abel.

This indicates that the third heaven=the heavenly Jerusalem and Mount
Zion of the heavenlies=Paradise, but certainly not Sheol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blessings

My take anyway. :)

What is the biblical basis for this view? Can you share some Bible verses supporting this?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When Jesus was in the tomb for 3 days, he went to Sheol, which is the place that Old Testament people went. If they were deemed righteous, they went to "Abraham's Bosom" which was a paradise. However, if they were wicked and evil, they went to Hell. Hell is still there, but Abraham's Bosom is empty because when Jesus went down there, he took all of the occupants of the Paradise with Him to heaven.

What is the biblical basis for this view? Can you share some Bible verses supporting this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟41,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

2Co 5:1 For we know that if our earthly tent we live inis destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal dwelling in the heavens, not made with hands. 2 Indeed, we groan in this tent, desiring to put on our heavenly dwelling, 3 since, when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 Indeed, we groan while we are in this tent, burdened as we are, because we do not want to be unclothed but clothed, so that mortalitymay be swallowed up by life.
John 14:
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
2 In My Father’s house are many dwellings; if it were not so, I would have told you.
I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself;
that where I am, there you may be also.

Although He has prepared a dwelling place for those who "sleep in Christ",
all must await to receive their incorruptible body, "when He comes again
to receive His Own".

1 Corinthians 15:
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality,
then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Then there is this, which I will post without comments, because it is from Revelation.
Revelation 6:
When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been
slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until
You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”
11 Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should
rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren,
who would be killed as they were, was completed.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Probably best to read through starting at.....

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

...this sets the stage for chapter 5. It is all about not " loosing heart". The Holy Spirit is what clothes us and that life is temporal and death brings us into eternity.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟724,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Similarly, Paul said:

People have different views on the Lazarus story ... from the story itself it's debatable whether it is a parable or not (so we need to look at other texts) .... however .... here there is no doubt what Paul believed about death and resurrection when Jesus returns and is very clear here.

1 Thessalonians 4

The Return of the Lord

13Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.

15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.

17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

18Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jewish Encyclopedia: Abraham's Bosom
In the New Testament and in Jewish writings a term signifying the abodeof bliss in the other world. According to IV Macc. xiii. 17, the righteous who die for their faith are received by Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in paradise (compare Matt. viii. 11: "Many shall come from the east and the west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven"). In Ḳid. 72b, Adda bar Ahaba, a rabbi of the third century, is said to be "sitting in the bosom of Abraham," which means that he has entered paradise. With this should be compared the statement of R. Levi (Gen. R. xlviii.): "In the world to come Abraham sits at the gate of Gehenna, permitting none to enter who bears the seal of the covenant" (see Circumcision).
ABRAHAM'S BOSOM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People have different views on the Lazarus story ... from the story itself it's debatable whether it is a parable or not (so we need to look at other texts) .... however .... here there is no doubt what Paul believed about death and resurrection when Jesus returns and is very clear here.
1 Thessalonians 4
The Return of the Lord
13Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.
15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.
17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.
18Therefore encourage one another with these words
All of the early church fathers who quoted/referred to the story of Lazarus and the rich man, considered it factual
Whatever Lazarus and the rich man may be, it is NOT a parable. It may be one of the other 217 Figures of Speech Used in the Bible. See 1899 book by that title written by Dr. E.W. Bullinger, free online.
Figures of speech used in the Bible: : Bullinger, E. W. (Ethelbert William), 1837-1913 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
.....A parable has a specific structure something unknown/not understood is explained/clarified by comparison with something known/understood. E.g. "The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:"
• Irenaeus Against Heresies Book II Chapter XXXIV.-Souls Can Be Recognised in the Separate State, and are Immortal Although They Once Had a Beginning.
Ireneaeus, [120-202 AD], was a student of Polycarp, who was a student of John.
1. The Lord has taught with very great fulness, that souls not only continue to exist, not by passing from body to body, but that they preserve the same form [in their separate state] as the body had to which they were adapted, and that they remember the deeds which they did in this state of existence, and from which they have now ceased,-in that narrative which is recorded respecting the rich man and that Lazarus who found repose in the bosom of Abraham. In this account He states that Dives [=Latin for rich] knew Lazarus after death, and Abraham in like manner, and that each one of these persons continued in his own proper position, and that [Dives] requested Lazarus to be sent to relieve him-[Lazarus], on whom he did not [[formerly]] bestow even the crumbs [[which fell]] from his table.
ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
•Clement of Alexandria [A.D. 153-193-217] The Instructor [Paedagogus] Book 1
On the Resurrection.
This was the day. “And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at the rich man’s gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table.” This is the grass. Well, the rich man was punished in Hades, being made partaker of the fire; while the other flourished again in the Father’s bosom.
•Tertullian IX A Treatise On The Soul Chap. VII [A.D. 145-220.]
In hell the soul of a certain man is in torment, punished in flames, suffering excruciating thirst, and imploring from the finger of a happier soul, for his tongue, the solace of a drop of water. Do you suppose that this end of the blessed poor man and the miserable rich man is only imaginary? Then why the name of Lazarus in this narrative, if the circumstance is not in (the category of) a real occurrence? But even if it is to be regarded as imaginary, it will still be a testimony to truth and reality . For unless the soul possessed corporeality, the image of a soul could not possibly contain a finger of a bodily substance; nor would the Scripture feign a statement about the limbs of a body, if these had no existence.
•Tertullian Part First A Treatise On The Soul Chapter 57
9. Moreover, the fact that Hades is not in any case opened for (the escape of) any soul , has been firmly established by the Lord in the person of Abraham, in His representation of the poor man at rest and the rich man in torment.
•The Epistles Of Cyprian [A.D. 200-258] Epistle 54 To Cornelius, Concerning Fortunatus And Felicissimus, Or Against The Heretics
Whence also that rich sinner who implores help from Lazarus, then laid in Abraham’s bosom, and established in a place of comfort, while he, writhing in torments, is consumed by the heats of burning flame, suffers most punishment of all parts of his body in his mouth and his tongue, because doubtless in his mouth and his tongue he had most sinned.
•Methodius . [A.D. 260-312] XIX he Discourse on the Resurrection. Part III. [A.D. 260-312]
But souls, being rational bodies, are arranged by the Maker and Father of all things into members which are visible to reason, having received this impression. Whence, also, in Hades, as in the case of Lazarus and the rich man, they are spoken of as having a tongue, and a finger, and the other members; not as though they had with them another invisible body, but that the souls themselves, naturally, when entirely stripped of their covering, are such according to their essence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When Paul expressed his desire to depart from the body and be at home with the Lord, was he picturing himself being carried by angels to the Bosom of Abraham?
In Galatians our Apostle Paul speaks very highly of Abraham and how Abraham lived by faith.

So, even if Paul did not think there is a place called the bosom of Abraham, I would say Paul would say we are in the bosom of Abraham, right now . . . by living by Abraham's faith which is in his bosom >

"faith working through love" > in Galatians 5:6 > this means God's own love, I would say, in the Holy Spirit > Romans 5:5 > therefore, Heaven's own love in us now, so that now we are sharing in Heaven, as much as we have grown in Jesus who is Heaven's own blessing of God's own love.

In Galatians 2:20 > Paul says he lives by faith "in" or "of" Jesus. In either way of translating, I see that this can mean Jesus Christ's own faith living in Paul - - - faith which is "in" . . . within . . . Jesus . . . or faith which is "of" . . . of Jesus Himself, since it is the faith which lives in Him. Such faith now has us with Jesus in us, living His love in and through us.

So, now already, by faith we can be with our Lord Jesus . . . though not viewing Him at the throne. So, "whether we live or die, we are the Lord's," in any case > in Romans 14:8.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

So . . . actually . . . this does not answer your question, does it?

But I see this supports how Paul could be so blessedly sharing with Jesus in His love, even while Paul was still on this earth. And in God's love Paul was conscious . . . on this earth. So, I see it quite possible that he would be conscious after his body dies, since he would be alive in God's love which is alive and conscious in each person who is > "one spirit with Him" (in 1 Corinthians 6:17).

And we see in Revelation 6:9-11 how those souls were even communicating, in Heaven.

If Jesus is in us, I would say we will go with Jesus, wherever.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Similarly, Paul said:

Yes Paul expected to be with Jesus immediately after death.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abraham's bosom is not a place, it is a position. In that time people did not sit in chairs at a table but reclined at a low table on their left elbows, with their feet extended away from the table. The host was in the middle, the guest of honor was to the right or in front of the host, i.e. in the bosom. When John? laid his head on Jesus' breast he merely leaned back and looked up so he could be face to face with Jesus.
Also this accounts for the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears etc. A woman in that culture would not be crawling around under a table at the feet of men not known to her.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Abraham's bosom is not a place, it is a position. In that time people did not sit in chairs at a table but reclined at a low table on their left elbows, with their feet extended away from the table. The host was in the middle, the guest of honor was to the right or in front of the host, i.e. in the bosom. When John? laid his head on Jesus' breast he merely leaned back and looked up so he could be face to face with Jesus.
Also this accounts for the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears etc. A woman in that culture would not be crawling around under a table at the feet of men not known to her.
What is Abraham’s bosom? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0