✟84,015.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV, 1 Tim 3:

8 In the same way, deacons [G1249] are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons [G1247].
11 In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
12 A deacon [G1249] must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
Could a woman be a G1249-deacon?

I think so. NIV, Romans 16:

1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon [G1249] of the church in Cenchreae.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whatever they meant, they were the same words written by the same Paul
we don't actually know that for sure.
but what i'm asking is... what is a decon
what is an elder.
what is an apostle.
the answers aren't clear.

most presbeterian churches seem to have male and female decons but not elders.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty clear Paul used the same word in reference to Pheobe in Romans that he used in 1 Timothy.
if he actually wrote 1 timothy, a lot of people don't believe it. and hebrews.. i really don't think Paul wrote hebrews.

personally, i tend to think that he did write some of the later letters, and the substantial difference in tone of voice and language between his earlier letters and the latter is because.. well.. look at yourselves. don't you learn a lot in a decade? i know people today hardly recognize me compared to 10 years ago.

anyhow you all are missing the point of the question.
what is a decon.
what is an elder.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
NIV, 1 Tim 3:

Could a woman be a G1249-deacon?

I think so. NIV, Romans 16:
Yes, female deaconate served in the early Church and are allowed in the oldest Churches, the Eastern Orthodox. However, their roles were quite different than the Deacons of today.

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if he actually wrote 1 timothy, a lot of people don't believe it. and hebrews.. i really don't think Paul wrote hebrews.
I don't think Paul wrote Hebrews, either. In fact, I don't know anyone personally who does. My men's bible study group just started Hebrews (again), and none of us thinks Paul wrote it. It wasn't even a controversial opinion.

personally, i tend to think that he did write some of the later letters, and the substantial difference in tone of voice and language between his earlier letters and the latter is because.. well.. look at yourselves. don't you learn a lot in a decade? i know people today hardly recognize me compared to 10 years ago.

anyhow you all are missing the point of the question.
what is a decon.
what is an elder.
No, that's a different question that you just brought up. Start your own thread.

The question posed in this thread is: Whatever Paul considered a deacon, did he consider that both men and women could be one?

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, female deaconate served in the early Church and are allowed in the oldest Churches, the Eastern Orthodox. However, their roles were quite different than the Deacons of today.
ah yes, finally someone who understands the problem.

since the roles are so different, of what validity is proving Paul had female decons?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ah yes, finally someone who understands the problem.

since the roles are so different, of what validity is proving Paul had female decons?
It shows that Paul had women doing more than sitting in the pews, in roles of some significant responsibility.

Upvote 0