Did Mary have metaphorical sex with the Holy Spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StAthanasius

Sep 3, 2020
Los Angeles
✟7,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have always wondered how we should understand the metaphorical role of the Holy Spirit in Immaculate Conception. My assumption has been that the Holy Sprit's role is symbolically masculine. Catholic teaching refers to the Holy Spirit as Mary's spouse because of her perpetual virginity and relationship to God.

This assumption was challenged recently as I read Luke 1:35:

The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you." (NIV)

This article proposes an alternative interpretation to this. Instead of describing one divine act, it is describing two. The first is an act of the Holy Spirit empowering Mary for immaculate conception. It is characteristic of a mother-in-law's relationship to the bride before the night of wedding. The post uses a Jewish mikvah bathing ritual as the foundation for this metaphor. The second is an act of God the Father metaphorically consummating the spousal relationship with Mary.

Do people think this is a valid interpretation? Is the Holy Spirit feminine, and does the metaphorical title of mother-in-law subvert the Trinity?

Reactions: Saint Steven

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope! If some type of literal physical action on the part of God or the Holy Spirit had occurred scripture would have clearly stated it. No point(s) of doctrine can or should be inferred from what is NOT stated in scripture.

Upvote 0

StAthanasius

Sep 3, 2020
Los Angeles
✟7,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nope! If some type of literal physical action on the part of God or the Holy Spirit had occurred scripture would have clearly stated it. No point(s) of doctrine can or should be inferred from what is NOT stated in scripture.
Do you think it is valid to call the Holy Spirt the spouse of Mary like the Catholics do?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that the Holy Spirit symbolically masculine?
God is referred to in Scripture by masculine terms and pronouns, but that's a long way from speculating about God impregnating Mary in the human way, albeit invisibly, etc. And to be sure, Jesus, who was and is God, became a male human. but again, God does not have gender in the sense that we understand it.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

StAthanasius

Sep 3, 2020
Los Angeles
✟7,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God is referred to in Scripture by masculine terms and pronouns, but that's a long way from speculating about God impregnating Mary in the human way, albeit invisibly, etc. And to be sure, Jesus, who was and is God, became a male human. but again, God does not have gender in the sense that we understand it.
How do you interpret Luke 1:35?

Upvote 0

StAthanasius

Sep 3, 2020
Los Angeles
✟7,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The power of the Holy Spirit (i.e. God) shall cause Mary to conceive (without her having had sexual relations).
Why would using sex as a metaphor for understanding this relationship constitute as sexual relations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StAthanasius

Sep 3, 2020
Los Angeles
✟7,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, let me clarify. I think that sex is a metaphorical pattern that is repeated throughout nature and the divine. For example, this pattern is repeated in pollinating flowers and even making art. A creative dynamic relationship between masculine and feminine forces can be seen in both. Immaculate conception appears to be another example of this pattern. Using this pattern to frame immaculate conception isn’t the same as sexual relations though.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Immaculate conception appears to be another example of this pattern.
I don't get that part.

But you aren't referring to the Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, I assume, as it refers to the belief that Mary was kept from original sin at her own conception which was otherwise normal.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Considering that the sons of God (divine beings - sometimes called angels, which are spirits) had sexual relations with human women and were punished, it wouldn’t make sense for the Holy Spirit to then have sexual relations, even metaphorically, with a woman, to produce the Messiah.

The Holy Spirit caused Mary to conceive without a sexual relation. It’s not that deep.

Reactions: hluke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mary was the incubator ... God provided everything necessary for the miraculous conception to happen within her.
Do you wish the woman who birthed you a "Happy incubators day" on the 2nd Sunday of May?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always wondered how we should understand the metaphorical role of the Holy Spirit in Immaculate Conception. My assumption has been that the Holy Sprit's role is symbolically masculine. Catholic teaching refers to the Holy Spirit as Mary's spouse because of her perpetual virginity and relationship to God.

This assumption was challenged recently as I read Luke 1:35:

The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you." (NIV)

This article proposes an alternative interpretation to this. Instead of describing one divine act, it is describing two. The first is an act of the Holy Spirit empowering Mary for immaculate conception. It is characteristic of a mother-in-law's relationship to the bride before the night of wedding. The post uses a Jewish mikvah bathing ritual as the foundation for this metaphor. The second is an act of God the Father metaphorically consummating the spousal relationship with Mary.

Do people think this is a valid interpretation? Is the Holy Spirit feminine, and does the metaphorical title of mother-in-law subvert the Trinity?

No.
There was no sex suggested or otherwise inferred by the Holy Spirit towards her. She was a virgin and remained one until the birth of Jesus.

Mary was not a perpetual virgin, she went on to half a dozen or more children with her husband Joseph.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the sons of God (divine beings - sometimes called angels, which are spirits) had sexual relations with human women and were punished...
They were punished?
Furthermore, doesn't the text say they married them? (thus legitimizing the relationship)
Perhaps they conceived in the same way as Mary?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was no sex suggested or otherwise inferred by the Holy Spirit towards her.
Well, it certainly seems inferred in that the Spirit "overshadowed" her and she conceived.
God created sex, yet we treat it like a dirty thing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.