Did Judas Kiss Jesus on the Lips?

2ducklow

angel duck
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,570.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
(Darby) Matthew 26:49 And immediately coming up to Jesus he said, Hail, Rabbi, and covered him with kisses.

Judas covered Jesus with kisses enthusiastiaclly so some of them had to of landed on his lips. the Greek word is kataphelema which literally means kiss down that is to say to kiss repeatedly. Shotgun effect of kisses is that some are gonna land on Jesus lips. one reason people in our culture can't see it is cause a man kissing a man in our culture means something different than in other cultures. Which is also the reason most bibles change what God's word said from 'covered with kisses' to "a kiss'. They can't handle the word of god on this point so they all just about all change it.

Even strongs concordance shows that kataphileo or kataphelema means kiss again and again and again. but of course it's not translated the way that it means.

New Testament Greek for ' kissed '
2705 kataphileo {kat-af-ee-leh'-o}}
of Latin origin; TDNT - 9:114,1262; v
AV - kiss 6; 6
1) to kiss much, kiss again and again, kiss tenderly
(strong's number 2705)
It's also interesting that Judas told the pharasees that the one he would kiss , singular, would be Jesus, then he goes and plants kisses all over Jesus face. It suggests he was trying to avoid suspicion of being the one who betrayed Jesus.

(Darby) Matthew 26:48 Now he that delivered him up had given them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, he it is: seize him.

Actually strongs doesn't even say phileo means kiss they just translate it that way, so I dunno if strongs is right totally here. but other sources I've checked all agree that kataphileo means repeated kissing.
New Testament Greek for ' I shall kiss '
5368 phileo {fil-eh'-o}
from 5384; TDNT - 9:114,1262; v
AV - love 22, kiss 3; 25
1) to love
1a) to approve of
1b) to like
1c) sanction
1d) to treat affectionately or kindly, to welcome, befriend
(strong's number 5368)

Last edited: