Did Job miss his old kids even though he got 10 new ones?

A.chilles

Nov 22, 2020
New York City
✟8,603.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I like to relate Bible stories to my own life to get a better idea of what people were dealing with in the Bible. Example, the story of Job who loses it all but remains loyal and is rewarded in the end. I was imagining in thought and feeling losing my little brother who I love and have shared happy memories for years with, I am wondering how people learn to move on from the death of a person like this. So Job lost all his kids but got new kids after, it speaks so easy of him being able to move on and live his rewarded life with 10 kids. Don't you think at the back of his mind is his old kids? Did he know what happened to his old kids? Did they go to heaven and will he meet them again? I imagine again losing my little brother and getting a replacement little brother... it's just saddening to even think about...

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He probably did miss his 10 old kids. Scripture never says he did not.

I don't know how people move on from the loss of one or more children, even if they have new ones. I don't think a person can know unless they've been there, and I don't want to go there.

While I have not lost anyone as close as a brother or a child, I have experienced loss of loved ones. Someone who was in your life who made contributions to it is no longer there, and not coming back. You can't have conversations or shared experiences with this person anymore. That person is not there to contribute what he or she gave to you and the family anymore. If you had hopes for this person to make healthier choices in life, that is no longer possible. For the Christian, you'll either see this person in Heaven again, or you won't. And if you do, it's a lifetime away.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Women and children were just property ! Since children died in childhood at horrifying rates during the Bronze Age and many women died in childbirth he probably didn’t grieve much . You be upset if your property was damaged but you’d get over it unless you were especially attached to a woman or a child. Since they aren’t mentioned specifically probably not. Unlike the man who sacrificed the daughter he was fond of. An even then it was more like losing a pet that you knew was going to be killed for food . The misogyny in that patriarchal society was disgusting

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Humans have the capacity to mourn for lost loved ones and love anew without the two becoming mutually exclusive, or replacing each other. I'm sure he missed his children who had died and loved the ones who had been born. The scriptures don't fill in every psychological detail of the experiences of those involved, and shouldn't be expected to.

Loss takes time and time will never completely erase the pain. Love doesn't forget. I'm sorry for your loss. May you be strengthened in the hope we have been given. God is good.

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like to relate Bible stories to my own life to get a better idea of what people were dealing with in the Bible. Example, the story of Job who loses it all but remains loyal and is rewarded in the end. I was imagining in thought and feeling losing my little brother who I love and have shared happy memories for years with, I am wondering how people learn to move on from the death of a person like this. So Job lost all his kids but got new kids after, it speaks so easy of him being able to move on and live his rewarded life with 10 kids. Don't you think at the back of his mind is his old kids? Did he know what happened to his old kids? Did they go to heaven and will he meet them again? I imagine again losing my little brother and getting a replacement little brother... it's just saddening to even think about...
The oldest Book in the Bible.
Job said, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Job trusted God. The Bible stated that twice what Job lost was restored to him. I believe that, somewhere in the immensity and eternity of God's love, Job and all of his children are restored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Your questions are excellent as I also hear about the story of Job but I have never really heard anyone mention what about his kids. I thought about this a lot in the past, and here is the best answer I can give right now. Of course, Job got restored, the kids did not. The kids in this case were part of Job's test. Without their death, the test could not occur. The test was so important that God would even allow death. So how is this just, because we know God is just? My conclusion is that the kids received their full reward. I would go so far as to suggest that assuming they were believers, that whatever they would have accomplished in their life for God, was given to them. So eternally, they are made whole, maybe even compensated with extra rewards.
I am somewhat undecided about the cause of all deaths. Some seem natural. For instance, the genetic code put that person at risk even before they were born. Other deaths are more a direct accomplishment of Satan. Many likely did not have to occur, but Satan tries to take advantage of every situation as he kills, steals and destroys. Still, the question remains: Could some contemporary deaths be a part of testing people that are still alive? I think so but it probably is rare. Of course, it is Satan doing this, and from God's perspective, He can make both those left living and those who died whole. So to me this is just, though it may not feel like it as most of us place so much more on living in this mortal body that we don't always look at the eternal picture.
I came up with this somewhat loose interpretation, after contemplating two very public ministries that were taken away. One minister died, and the other became incapacitated. Both are well known and preached healing and faith. So how come they had bad things happen? Testing is the only reason I could come up with. Their followers have to overcome, as these ministers became the test. I know some will question this interpretation, and say that perhaps they had a lack of faith or some reason that was not public. Possibly, but again, maybe they became like Job's kids. Only in these cases their loss tested thousands of people. In fact, all of us will hear or experience someone close to us dying so in a sense we all are tested in our reaction. Are we bitter toward God or do we continue to serve Him as a result of these deaths? Like Job we do have a promise of restoration. No one else's death has to impede what we will do for God or what we will receive from Him. And again, the one dying certainly could and likely is made whole by God in eternity.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Job is wisdom literature, it was likely the oldest book of the O.T. It is common for wisdom literature to be allegory.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You can never "replace" a child. I'm a mother and went through the loss of a child, and there is no replacement.

However, for God to have given Job more children is comparable to salve for a wound. It has the effect of assisting in the healing process because regardless of not being able to replace the child you lost, children, each in their own right, are a joy all their own and precious.

Job could have died himself in his own grief, but God helped him heal, by giving him an abundance of precious gifts.

All of life is like this. We have our grief and our sorrows, but when our focus is on God and not our loss or our self, we find God healing our pain, and drying our tears.

Upvote 0