sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In between dying on the cross and rising from the dead,did our Lord Jesus Christ, go to Hell,with our sin?
he did enter into hell on the second day to whip the devil! and washed our sins away with his blood on the first day! i don`t know for sure but i think our sins were all gone with his blood and his death , we get everlasting life with his rising on sunday!

Upvote 0

Time4AChange

Feb 20, 2007
Kansas City, MO
✟8,159.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've also heard this since i came to CF, i forgot where i seen it but someone said that Jesus went to hell, i dont know if i believe that, so for those that say he did go to hell, where did you guys get that from? Does it speak about it in the Bible?

Thanks

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've also heard this since i came to CF, i forgot where i seen it but someone said that Jesus went to hell, i dont know if i believe that, so for those that say he did go to hell, where did you guys get that from? Does it speak about it in the Bible?

Thanks
another term for hell is the grave, or being excluded from god`s presence. he whiped ole satan by rising up from the grave on the third day! you know when you die and then raptured out to be with jesus, we too will whip satan. if this dosen`t happen then satan won the fight. praise jesus for being in our corner! yes this will be the next to the last fight the last fight we will be dressed in white!

Upvote 0

Time4AChange

Feb 20, 2007
Kansas City, MO
✟8,159.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
another term for hell is the grave, or being excluded from god`s presence. he whiped ole satan by rising up from the grave on the third day! you know when you die and then raptured out to be with jesus, we too will whip satan. if this dosen`t happen then satan won the fight. praise jesus for being in our corner! yes this will be the next to the last fight the last fight we will be dressed in white!
Another term for hell is grave? I don't quite get that. There's a big difference between being in hell and being in a grave, i.e an actual physical grave (or tomb) where Jesus was. His body being in the tomb doesn't mean that He was in hell.

If you look at Luke 23:43, it says where Jesus' spirit went. He said "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit, and having said thus, He gave up the Ghost (or He died).

That shows that when Jesus died, His spirit went to be with His Father, our God....not to be in hell.

Also in John 19:30 Jesus said "It is Finished", then He bowed His head and gave up the ghost (i.e He died).

That shows that He had conquered the debts of our sins, there's nothing else that needs to be done for Him to pay for our sins. He wouldn't say "It is finished" knowin that He still has to go fight the devil in hell. Him having to fight the devil would completely negate Him saying "It is finished" because in actuality it wouldnt be finished.

Upvote 0

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Another term for hell is grave? I don't quite get that. There's a big difference between being in hell and being in a grave, i.e an actual physical grave (or tomb) where Jesus was. His body being in the tomb doesn't mean that He was in hell.

If you look at Luke 23:43, it says where Jesus' spirit went. He said "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit, and having said thus, He gave up the Ghost (or He died).

That shows that when Jesus died, His spirit went to be with His Father, our God....not to be in hell.

Also in John 19:30 Jesus said "It is Finished", then He bowed His head and gave up the ghost (i.e He died).

That shows that He had conquered the debts of our sins, there's nothing else that needs to be done for Him to pay for our sins. He wouldn't say "It is finished" knowin that He still has to go fight the devil in hell. Him having to fight the devil would completely negate Him saying "It is finished" because in actuality it wouldnt be finished.
amen

Upvote 0

Ramon96

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. Well first lets understand that the word "hell" in Greek have 3 different words, each, though translated to the English word "hell", has different meaning (Hades, Tarturus, Gehenna), and one Hebrew word "sheol"

Both hades and sheol are =the "abode of the spirits". However, Jesus taught that hades, before he ascended to heaven, had some type of division (Luke 16:19-31). One side was where the good people went (OT saints), called "paradise". The other side is the place of torment (not Gehenna or "lake of fire").

Jesus went to the paradise side of Hades. However, the Bible said that after he died, he went to preached to the angels (i.e., spirits) who rebel against God (i.e., they went and mated with the daughters of men in Gen 6:1-5), during the time of Noah (1 Pet 3:19).

Jesus did not burn in Hades as some preached. This is a heresy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ramon96

Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 3:19 "By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison"

Between Christ's death and resurrection (v.18), His living spirit went to the angels bound in the Abyss and proclaimed that, in spite of His death, He had triumphed over them.

Most say that the "spirits" are humans spirits that were in Paradise side of Hades. But, these spirits are not in prison. We learn that these spirits were disobedient during the time of Noah (v.20).

Because their disobedient during the time of Noah, they were sent to prison. Gen 6:1-4 places angels mating with the daughters of men. This was obliviously during the time of Noah.

Thereby, Jesus after His death, went to preached to the angels who sinned (
2Peter 2:4; Jude 6-7), in Genesis 6:1-4.

The sin was "going after strange flesh" (Jude 7-8). These specific angels lusted after the daughter of men and created Nephilims. These offspring were hybrid species. Because of this wicked and unholy union, and the all the wicked things happening on earth, God destroy the earth.

Upvote 0

Connecticutsaint777

Apr 12, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The short answer to this question is: "No." The biblical authors were more accurate in their use of words than some of our Bible translators or creed writers. There are two Greek words for the abode of the dead. (Greek is the language in which the New Testament of the Bible was originally written.) Hell (Geenna in Greek, also called the lake of fire and the eternal fire) was made for the Devil and his minions (Matthew 25:41) and will be occupied by all the unrighteous after the last judgement (Revelation 19:20-21 and 20:10-15). There is no biblical evidence that anyone has gone there or will go there until after Jesus' Second Coming (Revelation 19:11-16). This includes Jesus Himself. The other Greek word is Hadas (from which we get the English word Hades). This is the region of the dead. Before Jesus' ascension, the spirits of all people went to Hades. After His ascension, only the spirits of unbelievers go to Hades, while the spirits of believers go directly to be with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:1-8). It is into this region that Jesus entered after His crucifixion (Acts 2:25-31 in which Peter quotes from Psalm 16:9-10). Ephesians 4:8-10 says that Jesus, "had descended into the lower parts of the earth." This may also speak of Jesus' visit to Hades before His ascension. Finally, Romans 10:7 refers to Jesus in "the abyss" while He was among the dead. After the final judgment, Hades will be cast into Hell (Revelation 20:14). Therefore, the longer answer is: "Yes, Jesus descended into Hades but not into Hell."

Upvote 0

CindyisHis

I am my Beloved's and He is mine.
Jun 28, 2006
seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus
✟44,598.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, yes, yes! And oh, how I thank Him that He did! :clap: We can live forever because He did. We are in right standing with God because of this. We've been made the righteousness of God because He was made sin for us.

He made a show of satan openly, totally defeated him, and every principality and power.

Colossians 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

When Jesus took our place He had to suffer in every way. The Bible says the wages of sin is death. This is not a mere physical death. He bore everything we should have for our sin.

Upvote 0

CindyisHis

Jun 28, 2006
✟44,598.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks
Yes, it does.

Ephesians 4:8 Therefore He says:

“ When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”
9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it does.

Ephesians 4:8 Therefore He says:

“ When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”
9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

I went to a book that explain the greek word earth (because I have never heard before that earth should be translated as hell)
This scripture you say mean hell (lower part of earth) say in this book

The greek word for earth is ge (ghay) means

1) arable land
2) the ground, the earth as a standing place
3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water
4) the earth as a whole
a) the earth as opposed to the heavens
b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals 5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

So I couldn`t see that means Hell.When I thinking of hell I thinking of fire and punishment.Why should Jesus go to Hell when he was perfect and did everything God wanted he should do?

My thoughts about Hell is that is people that are sinner and don`t want to follow God and have faith in Jesus

Upvote 0

TheGloryisHere

Sep 13, 2006
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟21,481.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Jesus didn't suffer for himself; He suffered for sinners. Jesus didn't go to hell because of anything He did; He went there because He took our sins upon Himself. If He truely took our sins upon Himself, wouldn't it be logical to conclude He took your punishment as well? If He became sin, then you have to follow to the conclusion. He did this so He could make us righteous; we didn't do anything righteous just as He didn't commit any sin. He made an exchange with us, our sin for His righteousness. But, thankfully, after three days, the staggering payment for our sin was paid, and Jesus rose triumphantly from the dead.

When He was talking to Mary, He told her not to touch Him, because He "had not" seen His Father yet. He had to go and take His blood to His Father so everything would all legal and we could be set free from the enslavement of sin, and the conseqences which is hell, and become righteous and have the legal right to live in Heaven when our mission is up upon the Earth.

The word earth in Greek just means land. Can you believe it? All the planets get named except ours; our planets name is Land in English. What planet do you live on? Land. No, what planet do you live on? LOL

Upvote 0

CindyisHis

Jun 28, 2006
✟44,598.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a book that explain the greek word earth (because I have never heard before that earth should be translated as hell)
This scripture you say mean hell (lower part of earth) say in this book

The greek word for earth is ge (ghay) means

1) arable land
2) the ground, the earth as a standing place
3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water
4) the earth as a whole
a) the earth as opposed to the heavens
b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals 5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

So I couldn`t see that means Hell.When I thinking of hell I thinking of fire and punishment.Why should Jesus go to Hell when he was perfect and did everything God wanted he should do?

My thoughts about Hell is that is people that are sinner and don`t want to follow God and have faith in Jesus
Could it not be this is hell's location?

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Could it not be this is hell's location?

Maybe Rev 12: 7 - 9.That I trying to say are that about the greek word earth have nothing to do with hell.
The greek word for hell is geenna {gheh'-en-nah} See Matthew 23:33

Upvote 0

Ramon96

Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nope. This is speaking of people.

Nope. Your interpretation is foreign in Scriptures. When one connect 1 Peter 3:19 to 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6-7, its made clear that the "spirits in prison" are in fact angels.

The Spirits in prison were angels who sin against God by "abandoning their proper abode" (Jude 6) in Sons of God/ Daughter of Men incident (Genesis 6:1-4). These angels were put in the Abyss (i.e., prison) because of their sin.[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

This is not talking about "people" as you falsely claim. God Bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.