Did Jesus empty out both sides of the underworld ?

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is for those who believe that Jesus went to the land or realm of the dead before his rising from the grave, its not a discussion about whether it happened . So if you do believe that Jesus went and preached to the dead and he lead the captives free , do you think he emptied one side or both ? Let me know what you think and why,

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is for those who believe that Jesus went to the land or realm of the dead before his rising from the grave, its not a discussion about whether it happened . So if you do believe that Jesus went and preached to the dead and he lead the captives free , do you think he emptied one side or both ? Let me know what you think and why,
The grave/hades is never called prison in the Bible and prison is never called the grave/hades.
If Jesus' purpose in preaching to the "spirits in prison" was their salvation, it was a failure, only eight were saved and they were alive, not dead when they were saved.
1 Peter 3:18-20
(18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
(19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
(20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.​

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The grave/hades is never called prison in the Bible and prison is never called the grave/hades.
If Jesus' purpose in preaching to the "spirits in prison" was their salvation, it was a failure, only eight were saved and they were alive, not dead when they were saved.

1 Peter 3:18-20

(18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

(19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

(20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
boy you lost me on this one , usually I understand what you are saying maybe I am looking at your post wrong , but you say the grave is never called a prison then you give a verse that says he preached to the spirits in prison ? I see Eph 4:8-9 and Ps 68:18 Eph 4:8 When he ascended on high he captured captives he gave gifts to men vs9 he descended to the lower regions of the earth. Ps 68:18 You ascend on high you have taken many captives , You receive tribute from men including even sinful men . So from this I get the idea that captives means that they are held someplace by someone or something and that Jesus set them free. and in the passage that you gave seems to me about the same thing . I see these verses as why I think both sided were emptied out because in 1Pet I see the just for the unjust as those not on Abrahams side which to me are the same as those in Ps 68:18 men including even sinful rebels . Also as a UR guy this fits with the idea of Apokatastasis .

abr

abr

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From what I understand, when you died before Jesus, you had 2 options: either you went to the realm of the dead & had some kind of limited conscious, or went to heaven. Jesus’s descent allowed more of those dead into heaven if you were incredibly righteous like Elijah. There weren’t free & unfree, they were all unfree, captive to death. I have no idea how many were saved, the 8 in that verse is referring to those who were on the Ark.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
boy you lost me on this one , usually I understand what you are saying maybe I am looking at your post wrong , but you say the grave is never called a prison then you give a verse that says he preached to the spirits in prison ? I see Eph 4:8-9 and Ps 68:18 Eph 4:8 When he ascended on high he captured captives he gave gifts to men vs9 he descended to the lower regions of the earth. Ps 68:18 You ascend on high you have taken many captives , You receive tribute from men including even sinful men . So from this I get the idea that captives means that they are held someplace by someone or something and that Jesus set them free. and in the passage that you gave seems to me about the same thing . I see these verses as why I think both sided were emptied out because in 1Pet I see the just for the unjust as those not on Abrahams side which to me are the same as those in Ps 68:18 men including even sinful rebels . Also as a UR guy this fits with the idea of Apokatastasis .
You ain't going to like my answer. If I'm wrong, please show me where either grave or hell is ever called "prison?" What was Jesus earthly ministry?
Luke 4:18-19
(18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
(19) To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.​
Jesus' ministry did not involve preaching to anyone in in hell or the grave. There are no poor, brokenhearted, captives, blind or bruised in the grave, only dead bodies. The word translated "captives" literally means "prisoners of war."

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You ain't going to like my answer. If I'm wrong, please show me where either grave or hell is ever called "prison?" What was Jesus earthly ministry?
Luke 4:18-19

(18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

(19) To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Jesus' ministry did not involve preaching to anyone in in hell or the grave. There are no poor, brokenhearted, captives, blind or bruised in the grave, only dead bodies. The word translated "captives" literally means "prisoners of war."
did not Jesus say that God was the God of the living , in Matt 22:31-32 Now as for the resurrection of the dead , have you not read what was spoken to you by God. " I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob"? He is not the God of the dead but the living! I understand this as the people thought Jesus was only there for them not those who died , but Jesus didnt see them as dead and gone only their mortal body was dead but we are not our body this is just a tent we live in for a short time. He say them as living.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From what I understand, when you died before Jesus, you had 2 options: either you went to the realm of the dead & had some kind of limited conscious, or went to heaven. Jesus’s descent allowed more of those dead into heaven if you were incredibly righteous like Elijah. There weren’t free & unfree, they were all unfree, captive to death. I have no idea how many were saved, the 8 in that verse is referring to those who were on the Ark.
No, before Yeshua's death only Eliyahu and Hanokh were taken. Before Yeshua's death, everyone went to sheol...

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did none of that, when we die, the soul is at rest until GOD resurrects us, there are many passages in the bible pointing to the rest or loss of consciousness of the soul in the bible. here is one verse about it;

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Blessings.

JFF

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
did not Jesus say that God was the God of the living , in Matt 22:31-32 Now as for the resurrection of the dead , have you not read what was spoken to you by God. " I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob"? He is not the God of the dead but the living! I understand this as the people thought Jesus was only there for them not those who died , but Jesus didnt see them as dead and gone only their mortal body was dead but we are not our body this is just a tent we live in for a short time. He say them as living.
Am I missing something? How does this address my post #5?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Scriptures offer no second chance for those who have died with out Christ. Now some believe "spirits in prison" were the fallen angels and others believe or speculate that He preached to the wicked dead and gave them a second chance to be saved.

One said "Preached may mean simply that the reported to them saints in prison whoever they were his vicarious suffering and impending resurrection the thought being not of appeal but of announcement. "

Not here to debate or should I really say speculate on that which is not written

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Interesting question. Do you mean "Abraham's bosom" and "hell" (I,E. two parts of Sheol)?

Psalm 86:13 uses the phrase "lowest hell" (Deuteronomy 32:22 explains what that is.)
Psalm 88:6 uses the term "lowest pit"

And the speaker says he was delivered from both. Obviously psalms can be prophetic / Messianic. So thus if only those who've blasphemed the Holy Spirit are unredeemable; than Jesus would have had to bear the capacity to "reach" the "lowest pit" / "lowest hell"; or in the capacity of how it applies to sinner to be redeemed.

Is there a "lower pit" for disobedient angels that Christ would not have to had contended with? I don't know the answer to that question. Since there's no redemption plan for angels anyways; that question is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, Jeff.

These respondents are unable to follow simple instructions. (not a debate about the Harrowing of 'Hell")

I would say both sides, but I believe there was really only one, so ALL were resurrected.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, Jeff.

These respondents are unable to follow simple instructions. (not a debate about the Harrowing of 'Hell")

I would say both sides, but I believe there was really only one, so ALL were resurrected.
the only reason I said both sides is because of the rich man and Lazarus but being a parable it might not be literal , some say that it was one big holding tank I dont think its a hill to die on.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting question. Do you mean "Abraham's bosom" and "hell" (I,E. two parts of Sheol)?
Psalm 86:13 uses the phrase "lowest hell" (Deuteronomy 32:22 explains what that is.)
Psalm 88:6 uses the term "lowest pit"
And the speaker says he was delivered from both. Obviously psalms can be prophetic / Messianic. So thus if only those who've blasphemed the Holy Spirit are unredeemable; than Jesus would have had to bear the capacity to "reach" the "lowest pit" / "lowest hell"; or in the capacity of how it applies to sinner to be redeemed.
Is there a "lower pit" for disobedient angels that Christ would not have to had contended with? I don't know the answer to that question. Since there's no redemption plan for angels anyways; that question is irrelevant.
Abraham's bosom is not a place, it is a position. It is the position at a feast or meal immediately in front of or to the right of the host. In Bible times people were not seated in chairs at a waist high table they reclined on their left elbow with their feet extended out away from a low table. That is how an unknown woman was able to wash Jesus' feet with her tears and dry them with her hair. A woman did not crawl around under a table around the legs of strange men.
In John 13:23 when one of the disciples leaned on Jesus' bosom, he was leaning back so he could look in Jesus' face.
Sheol was a place that someone could be saved from. I don't think that is the grave.
Proverbs 23:13-14
(13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[​
שׁאול/sheol]

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Abraham's bosom is not a place, it is a position. It is the position at a feast or meal immediately in front of or to the right of the host. In Bible times people were not seated in chairs at a waist high table they reclined on their left elbow with their feet extended out away from a low table. That is how an unknown woman was able to wash Jesus' feet with her tears and dry them with her hair. A woman did not crawl around under a table around the legs of strange men.
In John 13:23 when one of the disciples leaned on Jesus' bosom, he was leaning back so he could look in Jesus' face.
Sheol was a place that someone could be saved from. I don't think that is the grave.

(13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[

שׁאול/sheol]
If you believe a soul is a real thing (though not "material" as a body is); than when someone dies, the soul "goes somewhere".

In the parable; "Abraham's bosom" was not a position; it was a place. Someone could "be in position" of "being in danger of hell" (under judgement) but not there yet, because they are still a whole living entity.

"Being in position of" ultimately can lead to "being in the place of".

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

(14) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.[

שׁאול/sheol]

Isn't this the source you like using? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the only reason I said both sides is because of the rich man and Lazarus but being a parable it might not be literal , some say that it was one big holding tank I dont think its a hill to die on.
That's actually a really good point.
And I often tie the chasm in the story of the rich man and Lazarus to this scripture below.
The question is, at what point was the chasm created? Was it always there, or the result of something?
Jesus was still alive, not yet crucified nor risen, having taken captivity captive. Who that was, is another mystery.
Those who were disobedient in the days of Noah? Is that it? - LOL --- Why?

John 5:24 NIV
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me
has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, the Abraham's bosom detail is perplexing. If there's any additional information about that concept some place else in the Scripture? I don't know where it is.
Jesus was still alive, not yet crucified nor risen, having taken captivity captive. Who that was, is another mystery.
Those who were disobedient in the days of Noah? Is that it? - LOL --- Why?
Good question.

There's only one passage I can think of that is relative to this question; but it's talking about disobedient angels. 2 Peter 2:5.

That very well may be the actual "unbridgable chasm". I don't know. It does seem though that's where the Medieval church got some of these concepts of "degrees of hell" from. Although I think that's more applicable to the Lake of Fire; in terms of the concept of punishing disobedient angels at least.

John 5:24 "crossing over" from death to life; I think has it's application to those who escape the judgment of God prior to death; on account of the atonement.

Upvote 0