Did Jesus Contradict the Old Testament’s Prohibition on Drinking Blood?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leonard Alt debates an anti-Catholic named Phil. He writes:

I have a choice: I can listen to the Evangelicals who confuse the blood of animals, with the blood of Christ and choose not to eat the Flesh and drink the Blood of Christ, or, I can listen to Jesus who said; “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day” (Jn 6:54). Who will you listen too?

Phil Wipperman in the Facebook group “The Catholic Church is NOT a Christian Church” says, “Leonard Alt claims that Jesus Christ endorsed sin by COMMANDING people to drink blood even though he has given CLEAR COMMANDMENTS in the Old Testament FORBIDDING the wicked behavior of the heathens. Why is this not shocking?”

Phil Wipperman cites the Old Testament, out of context, not mentioning that the blood they didn’t drink was the blood of animals. However, the drinking of blood of animals is a moot point because no one is recommending drinking the blood of animals in the New Testament.

Jesus commands us in the New Testament to drink of His blood and there is no prohibition against this. In fact, it was Jesus who said, “For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink” (Jn 6:55). At the same time Phil Wipperman says;“Why is this not shocking?”

Phil is actually correct; it was shocking. In fact, Jesus asked the same of those who were having difficulty believing Him; “Does this shock you?” (Jn 6:51). It was shocking because this is the only place in all of the Gospels where many of Jesus very own disciples “returned to their former way of life” (Jn 6:66). Of course, as shocking as it was, His twelve Apostles did not leave Him. Peter said, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life” (Jn 6:68).

When Jesus said “For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink” (Jn 6:55), it was very difficult for some of His disciples to believe; and it is difficult for some of us to believe today.

When Phil and other Evangelicals oppose drinking blood, they are confusing the prohibition against drinking the blood of animals in the Deuteronomy 12:27, with drinking the blood of Christ, which was commanded by Jesus. It was Jesus who said, “I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you” (Jn 6:53).

Many claim that the drinking of the Blood of Christ is not Biblical, even Pagan; however, that is not the way Jesus saw it.

Continued below.
Did Jesus Contradict the Old Testament's Prohibition on Drinking Blood? – Defenders of the Catholic Faith