Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think Jesus Christ is lying or telling the truth?

When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel. Matthew 10:23

You ever been persecuted for your faith?

Did you do what Jesus said? Grab all your things and pick up and leave for the next town?

Did Jesus Christ lie to his apostles about coming back before they reached all the towns of Israel ?

Already knowing my own belief that Jesus did not lie, do you do what he says? Run to the next town when persecuted? I do not.

God bless you and your families, and loved ones who may be imprisoned!

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel. Matthew 10:23

Did you do what Jesus said? Grab all your things and pick up and leave for the next town?

Did Jesus Christ lie to his apostles about coming back before they reached all the towns of Israel ?

Already knowing my own belief that Jesus did not lie, do you do what he says? Run to the next town when persecuted? I do not.

Jesus wasn't lying. He hadn't even gone into Heaven yet, they didn't know there was going to be a Second Coming, they thought he had already come and was there. The passage has been interpreted to mean that as they are ministering on this mission trip, they would see miracles done because they were preaching in his name.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There was back then, now, and in the future persecutions going on.

No He did not lie ... God's "Israel" are all believers ... there will be believers up until His return.

True Israel of God

"Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Galatians 3:7. "For they are not all Israel which are of Israel; neither because they are the seed of Abraham are they all children… but the children of promise are counted for the seed." Romans 9:6-8.

The children of promise are those who put their faith in Jesus. "And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise" Galatians 3:29.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,662.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a different take on this...

Firstly this is not the only passage advising we flee persecution.

See Matt 24:16

Now as for The Son of Man coming - this happened after the resurrection - Daniel 7:13 describes this.

From that point He is for ever enthroned with the Father.

Now consider those who have the anointing to remain in the face of persecution - Stephen is a prime example...

As he was being stoned, what did he see?

Acts 7:55

being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56and he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse. 58When they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him; and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” 60Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them!” Having said this, he fell asleep.

Yes... Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

Having fully ascended to the Father, He was therefore able to appear to them at critical times.

Now this happened before they had fled through all the cities of Israel

Jesus kept His Word and came (appeared) to Stephen as promised.

There are no lies in the scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

They were ministering and moved from town to town regularly, and it has nothing to do with us moving because we are persecuted where we live.

You are correct, Jesus just doesn't lie, and you don't have to leave, again, yours is a different situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of course. No Christian is exempt from it.
Jesus said that to his disciples that he had commissioned them to preach to all. Jesus wouldn't send out the children of God to preach if they aren't ready to go. Many people are called to salvation but few of them are chosen specifically to preach the gospel.

The apostle Paul in Ephes.4:11 listed the ministries "Apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelists, teachers." He also asked the question in 1 Cor.12:28, "Are all teachers?, (pastors, preachers)?".. the understood answer is 'no'.
Did Jesus Christ lie to his apostles about coming back before they reached all the towns of Israel?
What Jesus said in Mat.10:23 is addressed to all who are chosen to preach the gospel from that timeframe and on through the centuries. The example of 'the towns of Israel' is applied to the original disciples, but to every person chosen to preach throughout the centuries it would refer to all the communities that every chosen believer could reach in their own lifetime.. the continued practice is evident in that Jesus said "until the Son of Man returns." Therein referring to himself.
Jesus meant that the preacher must not stop preaching just because they're persecuted for it, but if they and the message of the gospel will not be received in one town, then "shake the dust off your feet" Mat.10:14. And go on to the next. The idea is that once you start, don't quit. "For no one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Lk.9:62.

Looking at the problems and troubles that the apostle Paul had, he's a good example of one who in spite of any one of the obstacles.. beat up and left for dead, buffeting of the thorn in the flesh, almost drowning in a great storm at sea, bit by the deadly snake.. and all adversities that he had, yet he didn't quit.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

To be honest Paul also believed that the end will come soon and only Apostles might see death to give testimony but rest will see the Lord comming back.
Like the end was comming any time , some Christians believed they were alredy in day of the Lord .

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The difficulty in that scripture is, it can mean several things and has several options:

1. It is told to disciples that are persecuted, happens when they are persecuted. It is not necessary about those disciples at that time, but it can mean future disciples that are persecuted.

2. It did already happen. Jesus was dead three days and came after that back. In that time, they probably would not have had enough time to go in every town.

Because of these two, I think we can’t say Jesus lied. And I personally think it is about future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,662.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a different take on this...

Now as for The Son of Man coming - this happened after the resurrection - Daniel 7:13 describes this.

From that point He is for ever enthroned with the Father.

Now consider those who have the anointing to remain in the face of persecution - Stephen is a prime example...

As he was being stoned, what did he see?

Acts 7:55

being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56and he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse. 58When they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him; and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” 60Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them!” Having said this, he fell asleep.

Yes... Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

Having fully ascended to the Father, He was therefore able to appear to them at critical times.

Now this happened before they had fled through all the cities of Israel

Jesus kept His Word and came (appeared) to Stephen as promised.

There are no lies in the scripture.

Funny how no one responded to this interpretation.

John 20:17 clearly states Jesus was not yet ascended to the Father.

It was all about relationship with the believers - they couldnt reach out to Him yet but soon they would - even to thrust a hand in His side.

So He did return and meet with them at critical times.

The passage in question then has nothing to do with the second coming.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟279,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

He seems to be saying that the gospel will be preached to the Jews and Gentiles until his second coming.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A little context might help. See below.

The persecution being referred to here is the threat of death. They are fleeing for their lives. Jesus is promising them that there will always be a place for them. They could literally go to every town in Israel and not run out of places to go to flee persecution. That's my take.

Although it makes you wonder why the church was scattered outside of Israel when the persecution did come. And certainly the ministry went beyond "the lost sheep of Israel" to "the Gentiles" and "the Samaritans". (see Matthew 10:5-6)

I suppose it requires some discernment to understand who Jesus was speaking to and how it should be applied.

We certainly don't send missionaries out under the direction given here. (Matthew 10:9-15) Missions organizations require those being sent to raise the funds needed before they leave. Which is wise counsel, but not what Jesus was asking of his closest disciples/Apostles.

Would we declare what the missions organizations are doing to be unbiblical on this basis? According to what Jesus said, they should raise enough money for a one-way ticket to their destination and then trust the Lord for the rest. And bring neither a wallet nor a suitcase. Just the clothes on their back.

Some people call the Bible an "answer book"; it seems to be more of a question book to me. Meaning, I always come away with more questions than answers. - lol

Matthew 10:21-23
“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's the reference (chapter) I was reminded of as well.

In fact the verse in question seems to fit the context of that chapter better than Matt.10, which seems to be a collection of snippets presented as a cohesive whole, which I question. A synoptic comparison may be in order here.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I saw your topic title I wondered if you might be referring to this one.

John 18:20
“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.

Steven, the topic was made just randomly it serves somewhat of a purpose. Hopefully it helped some :p Good morning.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is another controversial one which has been adequately answered. (see footnote)

John 7:6-10
Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. 8 You go to the festival. I am not[a] going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” 9 After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.
10 However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret.

Footnotes
[a] John 7:8 Some manuscripts not yet

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steven, the topic was made just randomly it serves somewhat of a purpose. Hopefully it helped some :p Good morning.
Yes, good morning. Happy Lord's Day to you.

So, topics happen randomly? - lol
This might be an area for the insurance industry to look into.
They could sell random topic insurance. (with a no-fault clause)
"It came out of nowhere, honest." - lol

• Haha
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol! That is funny Steven.

Sometimes I like to challenge people and their thought process though it seems its about time for me to numb it back down again at least for a week. Life here at home has had its ups and downs as of the past several days and today is my last and final day off!

I can't offer insurance though challenging systematic belief systems. Though we have insurance founded in the Lord Jesus Christ that is for sure, even if people dont even know him by that name, or read the bible, and simply look up to the stars and say ' GOD I KNOW YOU ARE THERE' show me the way I should go. :)

Gonna try to make the most of it, it is so good to hear from you and see you active, Steven my brother.

How has home life, and work been your way?

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How has home life, and work been your way?
All is well.
I'm living with the same challenges as the rest. It was nice to get a day off though. Kinda paid for it on Friday though. (wild one)

• Winner
Upvote 0