Did Benedict’s death lift restraints on Pope Francis?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last week when I compiled my list of the top 20 news stories of 2023, I consciously passed over the death of Pope Benedict XVI, since he died on December 31, the final day of the previous year. But now as I reflect on the past year, I suspect that the death of the “Pope Emeritus” had an enormous impact on Vatican policies in the months that followed.

When he announced his resignation, Pope Benedict pledged his unswerving loyalty and obedience to his successor, and throughout the coming years he honored that promise. He never spoke a word of public criticism of Pope Francis; he never complained about the new policies that undermined his legacy. On the contrary, whenever he spoke of Pope Francis, Benedict expressed gratitude for his personal kindness.

Nevertheless, the mere presence of the former Pontiff inside the walls of the Vatican was widely seen as a restraint on Pope Francis. Although Benedict would not utter a word of criticism, his occasional public statements, though always carefully measured, sometimes contrasted sharply with those of Francis. And while he was mostly silent after his retirement, he had left a very full account of his thoughts before he stepped down. Everyone knew what the former Pope thought, and everyone could make an informed guess, at least, about what Benedict thought of his successor’s statements and policies.

Thus even in his silent retirement, the Pope Emeritus was available as a standard for comparison with Pope Francis. Admirers of the retired Pontiff could and did say that Pope Benedict would never have said X, would never have done Y. And there was always the possibility, however remote, that if Francis crossed some line—if he was too bold in his departures from Catholic tradition—Benedict would break from his self-imposed silence and protest. Such an overt conflict between two Popes—even with one having renounced his authority—could have provoked a crisis in the Church.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In the movie The Two Popes, they 'discussed many things' and Benedict knew Francis almost became Pope and knew he would be choosen.
And Francis came to him to sign off his retirement.

Sooooooo I wonder if much said is about those who surround them.

Upvote 0