Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Since we are comparing Psalms to Isaiah, I'd like to point out another passage:

Psalm 22:17-18

17I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.19But You, O LORD, be not far off; O You my help, hasten to my assistance.…

What do you think this means? Sounds like Jesus.
Does not sound like Jesus. Why? Because it sounds like David. The out of context part is not a prophecy, it's a song.How can I be sure? Using the Christian theology. Christians maintain that Jesus is God or at least of the same substance as God, that he preexisted the creation itself- the great I AM. So, how can the line from the psalm "from my mother’s womb you have been my God" be explained? And that's only a single line that destroys the whole argument for Jesus in the text of Psalm 22. Never mind the rest of the Psalm.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...However, the sons of God were fallen angels. That is what the Bible says.
The sons of God are angels. Some of them fell in Genesis 6 and are now chained in the underworld (Jude, 2 Peter). Others did not, and inherited the nations after the flood.

Genesis 6:2
"the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose"
We know these are not angels because angels can not marry.
Matthew 22:30New King James Version (NKJV)
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.
Jesus said angels don't marry in heaven. But the sons of God in Genesis 6 had left heaven, so his words don't disqualify the almost universal ancient belief that those beings were angels who sinned.

And the offspring of the sons of God were the Nephilim.
Yes.

It's not that strange. We have had many narratives were extraterrestrials breed with humans.
Believe in an extraterrestrial explanation of Genesis 6 if you wish, but I don't see that belief as driven by the data. The ancients (the Ugarits, the Israelites, the early church, etc.) believed the sons of God were high-ranking beings in God's heavenly assembly, and I've found nothing to convince me otherwise.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The sons of God are angels.

Evidence?

Some of them fell in Genesis 6

Doesn't say the fell. It says they took wives from the daughters of men.

and are now chained in the underworld (Jude, 2 Peter).

Talks about fallen angels but doesn't call them sons of God.

Jesus said angels don't marry in heaven. But the sons of God in Genesis 6 had left heaven, so his words don't disqualify the almost universal ancient belief that those beings were angels who sinned.

Actually that belief is first found in the Book of Enoch which never makes it into the Bible. (okay, it made it into the Coptic Bible.)

Yes.

Believe in an extraterrestrial explanation of Genesis 6 if you wish

I don't. I think it simply reflects the fact that the Hebrew people were not yet fully monotheistic when Genesis was written.

The ancients (the Ugarits, the Israelites, the early church, etc.) believed the sons of God were high-ranking beings in God's heavenly assembly, and I've found nothing to convince me otherwise.

Okay. But that doesn't make them angels.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Evidence?
Lots and lots. Among modern scholarship, for starters I can recommend the following:

Deuteronomy 32:8 and the Sons of God, by Michael Heiser​

On the Origin of Watchers: A Comparative Study of the Antediluvian Wisdom in Mesopotamian and Jewish Traditions, by Amar Annus.
Among the early church writers I can recommend Justin Martyr, Lactantius, Commodianus, and Athenagoras. Each of them wrote on the events described in Genesis 6.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Lots and lots. Among modern scholarship, for starters I can recommend the following:

I was looking for something from the Tanakh itself. I'm a bit suspicious of anything coming out of Liberty University, but I looked at Heiser's credentials and he looks solid. Besides I'm all for anyone who debunks alien astronaut theories. I still think there is more to be said about Israel progression towards monotheism, however, which he seems to reject.

This one looks better:

On the Origin of Watchers: A Comparative Study of the Antediluvian Wisdom in Mesopotamian and Jewish Traditions, by Amar Annus.

I'll check it out.
Among the early church writers I can recommend Justin Martyr, Lactantius, Commodianus, and Athenagoras. Each of them wrote on the events described in Genesis 6.

Yeah, but they would have all had access to the Book of Enoch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Evidence?

Doesn't say the fell. It says they took wives from the daughters of men.

Talks about fallen angels but doesn't call them sons of God.

Actually that belief is first found in the Book of Enoch which never makes it into the Bible. (okay, it made it into the Coptic Bible.)

Yes.

I don't. I think it simply reflects the fact that the Hebrew people were not yet fully monotheistic when Genesis was written.

Okay. But that doesn't make them angels.

For one you see it plainly spelled out in the book of Enoch. No, Enoch is not scripture. HOWEVER, Jude in the book of Jude quotes this book:

Jude 1:
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Enoch 2 Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him. (Quoted by Jude, vss. 14, 15.)

While it is not today considered scripture, it is impossible to ignore its veracity since Jude clearly is quoting Enoch. This tends to lend strong consideration for the position that Angles did take women as wives and the resulting offspring were the 1st generation Nephilium

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
While it is not today considered scripture, it is impossible to ignore its veracity since Jude clearly is quoting Enoch. This tends to lend strong consideration for the position that Angels did take women as wives and the resulting offspring were the 1st generation Nephilim
I agree. Also, 2 Peter 2 mentions it. And Josephus. And Targum Pseudo-Jonathan. And early church fathers. The idea was clearly both widespread and considered orthodox in the early Judeo-Christian world.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
For one you see it plainly spelled out in the book of Enoch. No, Enoch is not scripture. HOWEVER, Jude in the book of Jude quotes this book:

He does indeed. Christian conceptions of demonology are largely informed by the Book of Enoch, not the Tanakh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly a lot of demons running around in the gospels, but conceptions like Satan as a fallen angel are from the Book of Enoch.
That conception is from the mouth of Christ himself.

Earlier than that, it can be read into Job via the divine council scenes in the beginning of the book, where the sons of God are assembled and Satan crashes in.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That conception is from the mouth of Christ himself.

I don't recall Christ saying anything about Satan being a fallen angel, at least not in the gospels.

Earlier than that, it can be read into Job via the divine council scenes in the beginning of the book, where the sons of God are assembled and Satan crashes in.

Doesn't say he "crashed" that council. Sounds like he just attending it like all the rest. After all, God greets him with a 'What's you been up to?' If he was really a fallen angel at that point, how'd he even get up there?

Upvote 0

Claire Evans

Jun 1, 2012
✟305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
\He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.

- We know that Israel was violent. It was because sheer violence that Israel was established in the first place. Israel is not blameless.

Jesus whipped people out of the Temple, a violent act. So.... whatever justification you use for Jesus doing that, just apply it to Israel and there we go.

No comparison. This was righteous anger. Those trading in the temples were committing blasphemy. Now the Israelites, they left corpses everywhere trying to conquer lands that weren't theirs. Yes, Israel was occupied before the Israelites even got to Israel. Not to mention just how evil the current Israel is. What deceit came out of Jesus' mouth? Was Israel violent? Yes or no? If you say yes, then this cannot be referring to Israel.

Yep.

Isaiah 41: "But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off.”" We see here a change from the beginning of Isaiah to the servant songs. It's comes down to what is said in Isaiah 49: "The redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins," declares the LORD.

The servant represents those who have repented of their sins and turned back. When we say the servant is Israel, we're talking about people who have turned back and have been called back to our home.

Actually what I'm contending is that Isaiah 53 is about Jesus. Clearly this is about Israel.

I see a bunch of quotes in the New Testament where Jesus says things and cries out. So... whatever justification you use for Jesus doing that, just apply it to Israel and there we go.

That is in reference to when Jesus was led to be crucified. He did not defend Himself. He had no resistance. Israel is not like that.

- The whole of Israel died with the wicked yet Israel was wicked herself? Israel was not peaceful and was deceitful. The whole of Israel did not die.

I refer to my Isaiah 41 and 49 quotes above.

Can't change the fact that Israel was not peaceful and was deceitful.

- So Isaiah says that the suffering servant was offered as a guilt offering for sin. Since Israel was full of sin, it could not be Israel that is the guilt offering. The suffering servant has killed and brought back to life because of the sins of transgressors. Sounds like Jesus.

Actually, it sounds nothing like Jesus. His days were not prolonged nor did he have physical children, which Isaiah references by using the Hebrew word for seed/sperm. I'd also point out that the word death in the Hebrew used in Isaiah 53 is plural, it's DEATHS. How many times did Jesus die?

Please stop dodging the part that Israel cannot be be a guilt offering. The word for offering is asham referring to the Law where the offering had to be without blemish. It most certainly does not apply to Israel. I'm just like to mean that in verse 8, it says the suffering servant was cut off. Cut off means execution. Israel was not executed. Now about seed. It was probably meant in a figurative way.

“. . . the final promise that he will see his offspring and that his work will bear fruit in the end would imply that he lives on in the prophetic following dedicated to perpetuating his message.”

You should not have a problem with deaths being mentioned in the plural. It was the same with Israel. The Lord addressed it in the plural and singular as well.

Isaiah 43:10
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

So in Isaiah, the suffering servant which is Jesus is referred to in the singular and associated with the plural deaths.

Another example is

Ezekiel 28:8

They shall bring thee down to the pit, and thou shalt die the deaths of them that are slain in the midst of the seas.

So we can see a person can die "deaths".

"Babylonian Talmud: "The Messiah --what is his name?...The Rabbis say, The Leper Scholar, as it is said, `surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him a leper, smitten of God and afflicted...'" (Sanhedrin 98b)"

Man, I hope whoever ripped that from the text took it to dinner before having their way with it. The Talmud does say that but also applies Isaiah 53 to Moses, David, Isaiah himself, Israel, and all righteous people who suffer. Moses, David, and Isaiah certainly weren't killed for the sins of the world.

It appears both you and me forgot about the leper part.

"The Talmud also "records" a supposed discourse between the great Rabbi Joshua ben Levi and the prophet Elijah. The rabbi asks "When will the Messiah come?" And "By what sign may I recognize him?" Elijah tells the rabbi to go to the gate of the city where he will find the Messiah sitting among the poor lepers. The Messiah, says the prophet, sits bandaging his leprous sores one at a time, unlike the rest of the sufferers, who bandage them all at once. Why? Because he might be needed at any time and would not want to be delayed. Elijah says he will come "Today, if you will listen to his voice." (Sanhedrin 98a)

Okay, so this is definitely not about Israel.

"Where did this "Leper Messiah" idea come from? This odd concept must have arisen from the rabbis as they struggled with Isaiah 53. They either saw the Messiah's sufferings as leprosy or split the Messiah in two, one a sufferer and one a conqueror. (See the section on the "Two-Messiahs" theory.) The Hebrew words in Isaiah 53:4, stricken (nagua) and smitten (mukkay) are interpreted as referring to a leprous condition. Either word can refer to being stricken with a disease, yet they need not be understood in that way, much like our English work "stricken" can refer to stricken with disease or just simply stricken, as with a fist. Either way, Jesus was stricken. He was certainly made sick by the Roman floggings and beatings and the tortuous ordeal of crucifixion. He was certainly stricken with the Roman lash. As a leper was despised and rejected of men, so also was the Messiah despised and rejected. And still today there are many who see Jesus as being as repugnant as leprosy and his followers as those who should be isolated and shunned."

http://www.chaim.org/leper.htm

Where did you get the idea that Isaiah 53 may be talking about Moses, David, etc?

"Rabbi Moses Maimonides: "What is the manner of Messiah's advent....there shall rise up one of whom none have known before, and signs and wonders which they shall see performed by him will be the proofs of his true origin; for the Almighty, where he declares to us his mind upon this matter, says, `Behold a man whose name is the Branch, and he shall branch forth out of his place' (Zech. 6:12). And Isaiah speaks similarly of the time when he shall appear, without father or mother or family being known, He came up as a sucker before him, and as a root out of dry earth, etc....in the words of Isaiah, when describing the manner in which kings will harken to him, At him kings will shut their mouth; for that which had not been told them have they seen, and that which they had not heard they have perceived."(From the Letter to the South (Yemen), quoted in The Fifty-third Chapter of Isaiah According to the Jewish Interpreters, Ktav Publishing House, 1969, Volume 2, pages 374-5)"

Nothing inconsistent with the modern Jewish view at all. Not sure what you're getting at. Isaiah 53 is clearly describing the Messianic age where Israel is redeemed.

Messiah:

"the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible."

Israel can't deliver Israel.

"Rabbi Mosheh Kohen Ibn Crispin: This rabbi described those who interpret Isaiah 53 as referring to Israel as those: "having forsaken the knowledge of our Teachers, and inclined after the `stubbornness of their own hearts,' and of their own opinion, I am pleased to interpret it, in accordance with the teaching of our Rabbis, of the King Messiah....This prophecy was delivered by Isaiah at the divine command for the purpose of making known to us something about the nature of the future Messiah, who is to come and deliver Israel, and his life from the day when he arrives at discretion until his advent as a redeemer, in order that if anyone should arise claiming to be himself the Messiah, we may reflect, and look to see whether we can observe in him any resemblance to the traits described here; if there is any such resemblance, then we may believe that he is the Messiah our righteousness; but if not, we cannot do so." (From his commentary on Isaiah, quoted in The Fifty-third Chapter of Isaiah According to the Jewish Interpreters, Ktav Publishing House, 1969, Volume 2, pages 99-114.)"

Nothing inconsistent with the modern Jewish view at all. Not sure what you're getting at. Isaiah 53 is clearly describing the Messianic age where Israel is redeemed.

"Rabbi Mosheh Kohen Ibn Crispin: This rabbi described those who interpret Isaiah 53 as referring to Israel as those: "having forsaken the knowledge of our Teachers, and inclined after the `stubbornness of their own hearts,' and of their own opinion, I am pleased to interpret it, in accordance with the teaching of our Rabbis, of the King Messiah....This prophecy was delivered by Isaiah at the divine command for the purpose of making known to us something about the nature of the future Messiah, who is to come and deliver Israel, and his life from the day when he arrives at discretion until his advent as a redeemer, in order that if anyone should arise claiming to be himself the Messiah, we may reflect, and look to see whether we can observe in him any resemblance to the traits described here; if there is any such resemblance, then we may believe that he is the Messiah our righteousness; but if not, we cannot do so." (From his commentary on Isaiah, quoted in The Fifty-third Chapter of Isaiah According to the Jewish Interpreters, Ktav Publishing House, 1969, Volume 2, pages 99-114.)"

The book is in error as the guy was not some kind of prominent rabbi. That book is in error and I could even provide you a few Messianic sites that have conceded that this is the case.

Sure, give me those sites. I am assuming you are expecting a messiah to redeem Israel?

All Jews ARE Israel. What do you think we're discussing? The Nation State?! Israel IS the Jewish people.

That is wrong. There are very few Jews out there that come from the Abrahamic line. In fact, they come from the Khazar Jews.

"The “Jews” of America, Europe, and Israel are descendants not of Father Abraham but of King Bulan and the people of ancient Khazaria. Khazaria was an amalgam of Turkic clans who once lived in the Caucasus (Southern Russia) in the early centuries CE. These Turkic peoples were pagans who converted to Judaism in the eighth century. As converts, they called themselves “Jews,” but none of their blood comes from Israel."

How else do you think you get white Jews?

http://www.texemarrs.com/042013/jews_not_descendants_of_abraham.htm

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Jude 1:
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Enoch 2 Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him. (Quoted by Jude, vss. 14, 15.)

While it is not today considered scripture, it is impossible to ignore its veracity since Jude clearly is quoting Enoch. This tends to lend strong consideration for the position that Angles did take women as wives and the resulting offspring were the 1st generation Nephilium

We would do well to remember, also, that St. Paul quotes the Greek poets Epimenides and Aratus. Epimenides in the Cretica has King Minos speaking to Zeus, "in you we move we live, and move, and have our being"; this does not, however, give veracity to the sublimity of Zeus as chief of the gods and therefore Christians should understand Zeus as a true god.

Jude uses Enoch for a particular task, much as Paul uses Epimenides and Aratus for a particular task. None of these render the referenced material in any sense authoritative.

Ultimately:

Enoch is a piece of pseudepigrapha written in the Second Temple Period. Its contents are not taken as historically accurate by any serious scholar, even those who otherwise believe Enoch was an historical person and take a literalist approach to Genesis. Apart from the Ethiopian Tawehedo Church it has never had a canonical place in the history of global Christianity. And has been regarded mostly as little more than a curiosity.

Jude is generally recognized as being a 2nd century text not authored by St. Jude himself; and in antiquity was regarded as highly suspect--it made it into the Canon by the skin of its teeth basically. As historical Antilegomena it has largely not been regarded as one of the more important texts of the New Testament; indeed in the Western Lectionary it is one of the few books from which there are no readings (the others being 2 and 3 John also part of the historic Antilegomena). That doesn't mean Jude shouldn't be taken seriously, but it does mean that we should be far more interested in why the author of Jude references Enoch than trying to use Jude to try and establish Enoch as somehow veritable evidence of angel-man giant hybrids.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The fact that you offer a link to a completely insane person like Texe Marrs' website speaks answers a lot of questions about the content of your posts.

For others participating in this thread or spectating and have never heard of Texe Marrs, first of all consider yourselves fortunate. When I was about 12 or 13 I was given a couple of his books about New Age satanic conspiracies and, being an impressionable young kid, took it pretty seriously. Texe Marrs subscribes to the Khazar Theory and sells the Protocols on his website as well as this little gem: (link). And that's really just the tip of the iceberg. He's a conspiracy theorist loon that, arguably, at times makes Jack Chick seem almost reasonable.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay so does anyone understand why I believe that Adam and Eve did not sin? Let go over it again. When God place Adam and Eve in the Garden he gave them two commandments. First was to multiply and replenish the and the second was to not eat of the fruit of tree of knowledge of good and evil. God told them that if they are the fruit they would die. Since they were innocent they did not understand what the consequences of disobedience just like a little child. Not that they were little but were as a little child. God allowed satan to tempt them and they ate the fruit. Even though God had told them not to eat the fruit they disobeyed him. Since I have tried to explain the difference between sin which is the willful act of disobedience having a knowledge and understand of the consequences for that that disobedience vs just disobedience with knowing or knowing but not understanding the law and the consequences of that disobedience. I will give you an example of not knowing the law but innocence means notjing to justice. Years ago two Mormon missionaries were site seeing on their day off. I can't remember what country but they were taking pictures of churches and monuments. One missionary got on a statue to pose while his companion took a picture. They were both arrested and thrown in jail. The officials did not care that they were not aware of a law prohibiting this act. This is the way justice is. Even though Adam and even were innocent the consequences are the same as if the not only knew the law but understood the consequences of their choice. So did these missionaries sin? They certainly bike the law. The mission president had to pay their fines because they did not have that much money to get out of prison. So they didn't sin but they did transgress the law. Again transgression is breaking or disobedience to the laws. If those missionaries were smart enough to find out what they could or could not do they would not have disobeyed. So they did not sin becaus they did not know. They may have sinned in being stupid though.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So they didn't sin but they did transgress the law.

Hogwash.

Romans 5: 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin

Romans 5:17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hogwash.

Romans 5: 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin

Romans 5:17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.
As I said justice does not difereniate between knowing and not knowing. Disobedience brings the same consequences. So through one man brought sin or imperfection into the world. The world and mankind fell from transgression or disobedience. It did not matter whether they knew the law and understood it or did not know the law by not understanding it the law the consequences were the same.

Upvote 0