Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have several Orthodox prayer books, but right now I am using the Daily Devotional Guide from the Fellowship of St. James, edited and commentary by Fr. Patrick Reardon (Orthodox priest). It includes psalms, morning and evening prayer, and readings from Scripture to take you through the NT each year (the Gospels a little more often) and the OT every 2 years.

I am also in the process of becoming a Benedictine oblate, since the Western Rite churches have developed an Orthodox Benedictine fellowship. This probably won't change my devotions too much, except for adding a monthly communal prayer session.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
An oblate is a lay person taking on the rule and fellowship of a religious order while still living in the world. This would include those with families or other obligations that preclude joining that order in full. One can participate to the extent that one is capable. We can go from year to year or we can commit with an oath.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I had looked into becoming a Benedictine Oblate when I was in Nashville through St. Meinrad Archabbey, but now that I'm in FL, I'll have to search out a new community that's a little closer. I never got the process rolling. They have such a wonderful sense of spirituality.

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
22nd March 2003 at 08:23 PM Gideon4God said this in Post #7

I've never heard of an Orthodox oblate...

This is something brand new-I don't know if it is just in the Denver or SW area, or if it extends further. Since St. Benedict was pre-schism he is considered Orthodox, and the Celtic saints are major ones for us and they were to a large extent Benedictine (I think). Anyway, this is Western Rite Orthodox, although we are considered to be in fellowship with RC Benedictines. We would be treated as brethren if we visited a RC abbey, but we wouldn't take communion.

Neal, I hope you find an abbey, then we could be in fellowship! We could share our experiences.

Thanks jukes for your well wishes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.