Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought this was a nice story - gave me goosebumps.

-------

The Rev. Donald Ashman says he knows he was on the train and survived so he could pray for the dead. 'I was where God intended me to be,' he says.

Still in a daze from the crash, Donald Ashman walked over to the first body.

Ashman knelt down and lifted a corner of a white blanket covering the body, placed his hand on the man's forehead and said the words he had said so many times before, almost always at a hospital:
"May God Almighty have mercy upon thee, forgive thee thy sins and bring thee to everlasting life."

The prayer took just a few seconds. Ashman returned the blanket and turned to the next victim, not far from the mangled Metrolink train.

He didn't know their names, their ages, their stories. He knew only that they had died and that they had probably been heading home to their families, as he was, after the workday.

Read the rest here: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-priest18-2008sep18,0,791232.story

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good story. We need to read more of these. Especially in todays society.

Mike, isn't the prayer to perhaps to help souls go from purgatory to heaven? That is what I thought, but could have missed the mark on it. LOL, like I usually do.

That's kind of what I was wondering - if we're judged at the momment of death (has that ever been stated with authority?), then dead people are either in heaven (unlikely), purgatory, or hell. If they're in purgatory, we know that they will eventually be in heaven. If they are in hell, we know that they won't ever get out.

Upvote 0

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of what I was wondering - if we're judged at the momment of death (has that ever been stated with authority?), then dead people are either in heaven (unlikely), purgatory, or hell. If they're in purgatory, we know that they will eventually be in heaven. If they are in hell, we know that they won't ever get out.

Well from what I understand, if a person doesn't need the prayers (like because they are in hell) then the Lord never lets a prayer be waisted, and it he puts it toward someone else who needs it. That's what I have always been taught. Same thing with praying for someone in purgatory, if they are already in heaven and don't need the prayers, then it goes to someone else.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought this was a nice story - gave me goosebumps.

-------

The Rev. Donald Ashman says he knows he was on the train and survived so he could pray for the dead. 'I was where God intended me to be,' he says.

Still in a daze from the crash, Donald Ashman walked over to the first body.

Ashman knelt down and lifted a corner of a white blanket covering the body, placed his hand on the man's forehead and said the words he had said so many times before, almost always at a hospital:
"May God Almighty have mercy upon thee, forgive thee thy sins and bring thee to everlasting life."

The prayer took just a few seconds. Ashman returned the blanket and turned to the next victim, not far from the mangled Metrolink train.

He didn't know their names, their ages, their stories. He knew only that they had died and that they had probably been heading home to their families, as he was, after the workday.

Read the rest here: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-priest18-2008sep18,0,791232.story
Beat ya yesterday. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sianelle

Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Always pray for the Dead and those at the point of Death. It is a blessed vocation and those who want to debate over the whys and wherefores have altogether far too much time on their hands. In praying for the Dying we stand with Our Blessed Mother at the foot of the cross and witness with her the death of her Beloved Son+.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

Sianelle

Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus told St. Faustina that some souls perish because no one prays for them, but that other souls go on to heaven because someone prayed for God's mercy on them while they were dying.

Yes! - thankyou for reminding me about St. Faustina. Prayer is such a wonderful and blessed gift!

christ_of_divine_mercy_and_his_apos.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.