Los Angeles Area
✟829,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Trump and his Administration's attack on facts and fact-based public health policies have hurt the CDC's reputation and morale. And the nation's health.

There have been politically altered CDC reports.
Public information on COVID-19 disappearing from the CDC website.
Altered CDC health advice on COVID-19 testing.
Roadblocks put up in front of CDC leaders reporting to Congress.
Trump personally questioning CDC information, and calling for changes to be made.

And we have one of the worst fatality rates of COVID-19 to show for it.

The situation is taking a toll on CDC staff.

In interviews with half a dozen current and former CDC officials, they described a workforce that has seen its expertise questioned, its findings overturned for political purposes and its effectiveness in combating the pandemic undermined by partisan actors in Washington.

"I have never seen morale this low. It's just, people are beaten down. People are beaten down partially by a public who not only distrusts us but who actually think we want to infringe on their civil liberties," said one current CDC employee. "The other factor is the active undermining by senior members of our own administration."

They expressed frustration that the CDC, long an independent voice of dispassionate science, has bent to the whims of an administration that does not acknowledge the severity of a pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people in the U.S.

"As I talk to former colleagues at CDC, the feeling I get is just an overwhelming sense of despair. People are working incredibly hard to reduce the impact of the pandemic and the sense that they're being blocked by people at the political level, and that the work that they're doing is not being appreciated by the American public," said Rich Besser, a former CDC director who now runs the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

"The feeling right now is that public health is not being allowed to lead and to demonstrate the path forward to reduce transmission and increase economic activity," he said.

"It's horrifying. I don't know of any other situation like this, when things have been dictated to be put on the CDC website that aren't defensible science. The idea that you shouldn't test contacts is just indefensible," said Tom Frieden, who led the CDC during the Obama administration.

"It's incredibly sad to all of us that the recent guidance is causing a loss of trust for CDC in general. I'm very nervous about what is going to happen when a vaccine is available, especially if the phase three trials are cut short for political reasons," said a current CDC employee. "Public health messaging is so important and it's been disregarded since the early days of the pandemic."

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Trump showed many young adults in June that not wearing a mask was acceptable (appeared like a reasonable thing to do; not wear one because one doesn't really want to...), by his example, which they saw....

Even after his own taskforce Dr. Birx had said people should wear masks when less than 6 feet apart on May 24th....

This is how Trump helped create a situation where on the order of 100,000 additional Americans will die this year, due to actions after May -- after it already was clear the danger and how masks would help, as announced at administration podiums by excellent public health officials serving under Trump.

And here on CF, some claiming to be 'pro-life' -- their own representation -- are supporting Trump....

That's not good.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wellllll...ummm...how many of them voted for him? This makes me think about a line in a movie that went something like, "you don't change the devil...the devil changes you". What did people really expect? It's not like they're the only collateral damage of this administration. I'm just saying...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
by his example, which they saw....

Except there was no "by example", Trump didnt wear a mask when he din't need to wear a mask.

Why are you people still trying to slip someting in there that's generally not true?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Trump and his Administration's attack on facts and fact-based public health policies have hurt the CDC's reputation and morale. And the nation's health.

There have been politically altered CDC reports.
Public information on COVID-19 disappearing from the CDC website.
Altered CDC health advice on COVID-19 testing.
Roadblocks put up in front of CDC leaders reporting to Congress.
Trump personally questioning CDC information, and calling for changes to be made.

And we have one of the worst fatality rates of COVID-19 to show for it.

The situation is taking a toll on CDC staff.

In interviews with half a dozen current and former CDC officials, they described a workforce that has seen its expertise questioned, its findings overturned for political purposes and its effectiveness in combating the pandemic undermined by partisan actors in Washington.

"I have never seen morale this low. It's just, people are beaten down. People are beaten down partially by a public who not only distrusts us but who actually think we want to infringe on their civil liberties," said one current CDC employee. "The other factor is the active undermining by senior members of our own administration."

They expressed frustration that the CDC, long an independent voice of dispassionate science, has bent to the whims of an administration that does not acknowledge the severity of a pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people in the U.S.

"As I talk to former colleagues at CDC, the feeling I get is just an overwhelming sense of despair. People are working incredibly hard to reduce the impact of the pandemic and the sense that they're being blocked by people at the political level, and that the work that they're doing is not being appreciated by the American public," said Rich Besser, a former CDC director who now runs the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

"The feeling right now is that public health is not being allowed to lead and to demonstrate the path forward to reduce transmission and increase economic activity," he said.

"It's horrifying. I don't know of any other situation like this, when things have been dictated to be put on the CDC website that aren't defensible science. The idea that you shouldn't test contacts is just indefensible," said Tom Frieden, who led the CDC during the Obama administration.

"It's incredibly sad to all of us that the recent guidance is causing a loss of trust for CDC in general. I'm very nervous about what is going to happen when a vaccine is available, especially if the phase three trials are cut short for political reasons," said a current CDC employee. "Public health messaging is so important and it's been disregarded since the early days of the pandemic."

Are you saying the CDC is not guilty of anything they are accused of, and that it doesn't make perfect sense their moral should be low if they did botch some of what they are accused of?

Why is this a surprise?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are you saying...

No, the title of the thread and the linked story are quite clear. The cause is Trump's meddling with the CDC and its statements to the public for his own political benefit, rather than what is best for the American people.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the title of the thread and the linked story are quite clear. The cause is Trump's meddling with the CDC and its statements to the public for his own political benefit, rather than what is best for the American people.

I'm not sure what you are answering no to. Would you please clear that up?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Oh, i see yours is another opinion that what is happening is all polotics, and nothing more.

I reckon many will be making that claim between now and election day, and if their opinion is wrong, we need to count them as making political benefit as well by using untruths against the opposition.

I have no good reason to believe you are correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The CDC boned some big things all on their own. Trump made it worse.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's unfortunate that the CDC has become subject to political influence and lost its independence. I'll default back to the collective wisdom of the world through WHO rather than relying upon a CDC that has become part of our national propaganda arm. I have no more confidence in the CDC.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except there was no "by example", Trump didnt wear a mask when he din't need to wear a mask.

Why are you people still trying to slip someting in there that's generally not true?
No one can be expected to have all information. This kind of situation happened many times, way back in May/June.

5494.jpg

Donald Trump goes maskless to tour medical equipment facility
(one of very many sources where you can see examples, from across the spectrum of diverse unalike news sources)

To see accurately, a person needs a wide range of information sources -- a totally unalike source can fill in the missing gaps that very similar sources will not.

So, to be able to be accurate about stuff like this very thing you mention, I recommend to people to have at least 3 unalike news sources, that tend to report different things.

And: reporting of information without much opinion in the report.

Ideally, information without opinion. This graphic below is a real aid in 2 ways: it shows what news sources give you information more than opinion (higher up on the graph, and also shows there tendency of bias, so that if you rely on one side, you can add sources from the middle or other side, to get a more full and accurate information.

Third-Edition-Full.jpg

The Chart, Version 3.0: What, Exactly, Are We Reading? - Ad Fontes Media

(good to add at least one source or more from near the top and inside the first section of 2 from center, such as Reuters or AP, etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one can be expected to have all information. This kind of situation happened many times, way back in May/June.

5494.jpg

Donald Trump goes maskless to tour medical equipment facility
(one of very many sources where you can see examples, from across the spectrum of diverse unalike news sources)

To see accurately, a person needs a wide range of information sources -- a totally unalike source can fill in the missing gaps that very similar sources will not.

So, to be able to be accurate about stuff like this very thing you mention, I recommend to people to have at least 3 unalike news sources, that tend to report different things.

And: reporting of information without much opinion in the report.

Ideally, information without opinion. This graphic below is a real aid in 2 ways: it shows what news sources give you information more than opinion (higher up on the graph, and also shows there tendency of bias, so that if you rely on one side, you can add sources from the middle or other side, to get a more full and accurate information.

Third-Edition-Full.jpg

The Chart, Version 3.0: What, Exactly, Are We Reading? - Ad Fontes Media

(good to add at least one source or more from near the top and inside the first section of 2 from center, such as Reuters or AP, etc.)

Since Trump is tested daily he didn't need a mask in that picture.

Also, you are likely not tested daily, have you ever not worn aask when you should have?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since Trump is tested daily he didn't need a mask in that picture.

Also, you are likely not tested daily, have you ever not worn aask when you should have?
2 significant effects.

First, around Trump himself:
While he is indoors in a place not his usual home or office, he could breathe in virus from some other person that isn't tested daily and isn't wearing a mask very well or coughed without a mask in a restroom or wherever -- because the virus lingers indoors instead of dissipating.

But there is a bigger issue.

When Trump has an indoor rally, as he has been doing:

Where most people aren't wearing masks, the risks are increasing exactly because it's all indoors and lasts quite a while! -- so that any virus shed stays around all the people, instead of blowing away in the wind or getting destroyed by sunlight.

Trump could of course easily get the virus from someone that is just beginning to shed the virus but isn't yet having symptoms and wasn't just tested.

Also, by encouraging people to not worry about masks, trying to appeal to everyone, even the anti-maskers, then during an indoor rally, Trump becomes partially responsible for the likely outcome that some virus may get spread at the rally, resulting in deaths later (about a month later) that would not have otherwise happened.

It doesn't end there either.

Thousands watch the rally online, and millions watch in a news segment on TV about the rally, and some of those watchers learn by example to not wear masks indoors when they should.....

• Winner
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 significant effects.

First, around Trump himself:
While he is indoors in a place not his usual home or office, he could breathe in virus from some other person that isn't tested daily and isn't wearing a mask very well or coughed without a mask in a restroom or wherever -- because the virus lingers indoors instead of dissipating.

But there is a bigger issue.

When Trump has an indoor rally, as he has been doing:

Where most people aren't wearing masks, the risks are increasing exactly because it's all indoors and lasts quite a while! -- so that any virus shed stays around all the people, instead of blowing away in the wind or getting destroyed by sunlight.

Trump could of course easily get the virus from someone that is just beginning to shed the virus but isn't yet having symptoms and wasn't just tested.

Also, by encouraging people to not worry about masks, trying to appeal to everyone, even the anti-maskers, then during an indoor rally, Trump becomes partially responsible for the likely outcome that some virus may get spread at the rally, resulting in deaths later (about a month later) that would not have otherwise happened.

It doesn't end there either.

Thousands watch the rally online, and millions watch in a news segment on TV about the rally, and some of those watchers learn by example to not wear masks indoors when they should.....

I think your going to pick this to death no matter what, and since all you experts on the matter know better than those in charge if keeping Trump and others safe, I'll leave it with you.

FWIW, you haven't changed my view on a thing.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think your going to pick this to death no matter what, and since all you experts on the matter know better than those in charge if keeping Trump and others safe, I'll leave it with you.

FWIW, you haven't changed my view on a thing.
It's just a fact that Trump was the biggest influence in a tendency to consider masks highly optional, the single voice among all that had the most influence that way.

While few would bother to read some unusual viewpoint of some maverick dissident trying to claim masks are useless (as if they don't block droplets from a cough or sneeze or such from someone producing the virus), many would pay attention to what the president does.

He had the big bullhorn, the 'bully pulpit' -- the outsized giant influence.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's just a fact that Trump was the biggest influence in a tendency to consider masks highly optional, the single voice among all that had the most influence that way.

While few would bother to read some unusual viewpoint of some maverick dissident trying to claim masks are useless (as if they don't block droplets from a cough or sneeze or such from someone producing the virus), many would pay attention to what the president does.

He had the big bullhorn, the 'bully pulpit' -- the outsized giant influence.

I was also a "fact" in some minds there was Russian collusion.

The left has no credibility here....and that, my friend, is a fact.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was also a "fact" in some minds there was Russian collusion.

The left has no credibility here....and that, my friend, is a fact.
Who cares about the 'left' when the question is about facts, virus, exposure, illness, and death?

Reality isn't 'left' or 'right' of course, it's....the laws of nature, and sometimes also the amazing help from God when someone truly believes and prays with faith.

I don't generally recommend to most people they throw themselves off a high place to test their faith.

Christ didn't accept that temptation, when Satan tried it on Him in Matthew chapter 4. No doubt some will innocently get the virus without knowing they could have avoided the big exposure (the worse exposure with a higher initial viral start) by preventing that with a mask...and then get very ill, or near to death, and have some pray for them individually, one to one to the Lord, and with faith He will aid. But we aren't to carelessly risk ourselves or others by knowingly taking unnecessary risks that are easy to avoid, that we are aware are quite dangerous.

Upvote 0