Describe your understanding of evolution.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,264.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Guys, this isn't a thread about a discussion about evolution. It's just asking about people's personal definitions of evolution, that's all.
Acknowledged. I'll bow out with the observation that clarity of the definitions ought to have some relevance. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since there's a lot of threads lately from pitabread about trying to get creationists to explain their positions (without a lot of success sadly) with regards to evolution, I thought I'd try something which I feel does need to be touched on slightly.

To those who accept theory of evolution and to those who do not, please can you explain what you think of when someone says evolution?

I'm not talking about if you have a degree in science and what you know about it, I'm not talking about a diatribe or religious screed on it. I'm not interested in a discussion about macro vs microevolution. I just mean the bare bones definition in your mind that comes up when you hear/read the word 'evolution'.

My person definition is: the change in alleles in a population in response to a change in the environment. Simple as that.

Sure no problem, it’s complete garbage. And that concludes what I think about the theory of evilution. Have a blessed day :)

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Sure no problem, it’s complete garbage. And that concludes what I think about the theory of evilution. Have a blessed day :)

That's not a definition, that's an opinion.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Well that all depends on whether or not the theory is true. If it’s not then it’s garbage.

But that's not what I'm asking.
I am asking for your personal definition of evolution. This isn't a thread to debate on whether or not you think that the theory of evolution is false, correct, evil or whatever. It is simply asking what your personal definition of evolution is.

If you can't answer that question, then I simply request that you leave the thread.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But that's not what I'm asking.
I am asking for your personal definition of evolution. This isn't a thread to debate on whether or not you think that the theory of evolution is false, correct, evil or whatever. It is simply asking what your personal definition of evolution is.

If you can't answer that question, then I simply request that you leave the thread.

Ok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
you know according to the genealogy records in the Bible the earth is only just over 6,000 years old? How old do evolutionists calculate?

Not the topic of the thread. This thread, as I said, is about people's personal definitions of evolution. It's not a place to debate evolution.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,969.00
Faith
Atheist
Meh. Red herring. I'm done with the minutia on a basic and easily answered question. You guys have fun with this. I've got bigger fish to fry.

I've said, for decades, and internet forums amplify it: You could wake up and say "What a beautiful blue sky today", and someone might say, "Well, you know, technically, it's not really blue" and try to argue the point. But it's still a beautiful blue sky and I'd like to enjoy it on the porch with a nice cup of coffee and a biscotti.
Yeah; if you make an unsubstantiated sweeping and unrealistic claim, be prepared to have it questioned by people with experience of the topic.

If you don't want to discuss your claims, a discussion forum is probably not the best place to post them.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah; if you make an unsubstantiated sweeping and unrealistic claim, be prepared to have it questioned by people with experience of the topic.

If you don't want to discuss your claims, a discussion forum is probably not the best place to post them.

Although, to be fair to him, this isn't the thread to discuss evolution, it's just about asking people's personal definitions of evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since there's a lot of threads lately from pitabread about trying to get creationists to explain their positions (without a lot of success sadly) with regards to evolution, I thought I'd try something which I feel does need to be touched on slightly.

To those who accept theory of evolution and to those who do not, please can you explain what you think of when someone says evolution?

I'm not talking about if you have a degree in science and what you know about it, I'm not talking about a diatribe or religious screed on it. I'm not interested in a discussion about macro vs microevolution. I just mean the bare bones definition in your mind that comes up when you hear/read the word 'evolution'.

My person definition is: the change in alleles in a population in response to a change in the environment. Simple as that.

I agree definitions are important

We can talk about the evolution of the automobile, ancient Rome, music, biological life, computers, etc

My 'understanding' would be that they all share a similar mechanism, essentially driven by purpose, desire, will, creativity, but with some inevitable chaos in the mix!

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I agree definitions are important

We can talk about the evolution of the automobile, ancient Rome, music, biological life, computers, etc

My 'understanding' would be that they all share a similar mechanism, essentially driven by purpose, desire, will, creativity, but with some inevitable chaos in the mix!

That's not really what I'm asking for. Like, I have the example of a definition of evolution in the OP you quoted. That's the sort of thing I'm asking about.

Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's not really what I'm asking for. Like, I have the example of a definition of evolution in the OP you quoted. That's the sort of thing I'm asking about.

regarding biological life, I guess I'd define that in wider terms than yourself- Like; the apparent change in biological form occurring within natural history

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
regarding biological life, I guess I'd define that in wider terms than yourself- Like; the apparent change in biological form occurring within natural history

And that's a fair definition and the sort of thing I was after, thank you.

Upvote 0