Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are any of you able to read the Bible when you're depressed? I just can't find a way to do it... I don't know what it is about me, but anytime I get depressed and all, I have a lot of trouble turning to God at all. It's like I want to selfishly keep all that pain to myself and not allow myself to burden it on anyone else or do anything that might help me feel better. I don't know, I don't really understand myself. Do any of you struggle with this too?

PaulDavid

NOOB
Aug 7, 2009
Zombies. Yes, Zombies.
✟15,735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It depends on who I am reading, Peter is depressing to me. Paul makes me want to martyr myself. Matthew/mark/luke make me feel squishy.. Stories about King David and Jonathan make me want to go beat someone up in a testosterone overload and the books by moses remind me of high school and make me want to cheat instead of study.

When you are too depressed to read the word brother... take a break for a night and get into some intensive prayer. Shut off all outside audible and visual distractions and sit alone with just you and Him for a while and just... pour out everything thats on your heart. Be honest, he already knows anyways.. but.. talking helps.

That seems to help me anyways, brother

Upvote 0

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a tough time reading the word when upset.... I just want to hear the voice of someone for comfort. Often God will have it where someone comes up to me and a offers a few words of encouragement and a passage to read. When that happens, i'll pick up the bible to see what it is. But I know I have to just turn to God. I should seek him first but don't always. I understand though....

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

Nope. Just a little bit of anger, bitterness, and resentment left. That's all.

There was a ray of hope today though. While I was attempting to fast to break my burden and yoke, (Isa. 58:6) God told me to get up from my rest and get something to eat. It wasn't for the food though, because on the way to the store, there was program on the Moody radio network that was dealing with the exact problem I'm having. I spent 30 minutes sitting in my car outside of the store listening in. Hopefully if I'm still alive by next week they're going to discuss solutions to help find resolutions to these issues. Depression, anger, or whatever sin. It comes natural to us and the knee-jerk reaction is turn from God whenever it happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While the Bible does contain help for people who are depressed, it contains references to people who are depressed and shares their experiences, because depression wasn't something that they had as much knowledge about it isn't as clear.

One of the reasons it is nice to read other inspired books rather than only the Bible. You just have to be more careful about what you read than with the Bible.

JM

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are more ways to turn to God than just to read the bible. People have already suggested prayer but spending time with other people in fellowship or getting out into nature are another couple. God can be found in a profound way in both community and creation. At the end of the day you need to understand the personality God gave you and do what it takes to help it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Riddik7

I'm The Captain Of This Paper Boat!
Aug 21, 2009
Holloman AFB
Visit site
✟16,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ya i find if i'm depressed i cant just sit and read or sumthin.. i have to get up and do something, listen to some music (usualy hard rock or metal to shock my system out of its funk... doesnt always work though) or failing all else pass out for a few hours...

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the responses y'all! I think next time, I'll try taking a walk and praying, or something along those lines.

worship is another thing thats very helpful. Its something you'll again have to force yourself to do, but once you do it becomes impossible to look inward when you're remembering everything God has blessed you with and praising Him for that.

Upvote 0

contrabar

Sep 18, 2009
on earth :)
✟8,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are more ways to turn to God than just to read the bible. People have already suggested prayer but spending time with other people in fellowship or getting out into nature are another couple. God can be found in a profound way in both community and creation. At the end of the day you need to understand the personality God gave you and do what it takes to help it.
i sometimes do this as well... and also when I am depressed, for me, sports with wonderful friends really help

I struggle with that too and I think I know why. When I am depressed, I get so self absorbed and sometimes wallow in it all. I end up getting used to that and almost not willing to give that up. Does that make sense?
all too well... it gets like that sometimes at night, when I'm trying to get to sleep, and all of these negative thoughts and images of sadness and death enter my mind, and I sometimes just engulf myself in it... it can bring me to tears, but recently, I've been asking God to give me something better and positive to think and dream about

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I have trouble with this too. I also find it hard to pray. I think I get into a mindset where I think nothing will make me feel better, so then I don't do anything about it, so then I don't feel better! You just have to make yourself do it, but it's easier said than done. I still quite often go into my shell and just feel sorry for myself when I'm down. Sometimes I do manage to break the cycle though. I actually read Job a while ago when I was struggling with things and it helped. For a start, my struggles are not much in comparison! And for me it helped to answer the 'why suffering?' question.

Upvote 0