Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Three of my children won't speak to me. Ever. I don't understand. I never disowned my atheist relatives (parents and siblings) . Two are atheists and one Eastern Orthodox. Question:

Matthew 18: 17
17 “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Seriously?

I don't understand that verse.

I know you'll advise me to pray for them. I don't think God will help them. I'm not a universalist.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three of my children won't speak to me. Ever. I don't understand. I never disowned my atheist relatives (parents and siblings) . Two are atheists and one Eastern Orthodox. Question:

17 “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Seriously?

I know you'll advise me to pray for them. I don't think God will help them. I'm not a universalist.
The verse is directed towards church function not family dynamics. It's probably time to actively seek why your children won't speak with you. Remember, we show our faith through love.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Seriously?

Do you continuously preach at your children trying to get them "saved" or chastise them for not believing?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The verse is directed towards church function not family dynamics. It's probably time to actively seek why your children won't speak with you. Remember, we show our faith through love.
Blessings
I've always loved my children. I can't contact them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's too late.
There has to be a reason. It’s hard to give an opinion when there is no reason why they cut you off. Surely they must of told you why? What is their issue with you?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There has to be a reason. It’s hard to give an opinion when there is no reason why they cut you off. Surely they must of told you why? What is their issue with you?
No, they won't tell me. And they won't allow me to ask. But I'm in a better state of mind. Sermon by John MacArthur:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
They have no common ground with you. They may not even know how to speak peaceably with you.

How old are your children and how long have they not spoken to you? And I'm assuming they are atheist?
They are married adults. We are talking about years. But I was just feeling somewhat down when I started this thread. I forget that God is in charge and it's okay to just accept His will for my life.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Mark chapter 9 :43 to 48 . And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter life maimed, than having two hands to go to hell.

If someone or something is causing you to sin. Cut it out of your life.

I have 3 adult brothers playing church. Involved in false doctrine. Using church as smoke screen. I keep distance from them. Get the picture.

Fools will drag you down with them. Impede on your spiritual growth.

Keep distance from them.
Proverbs chapter 1 tells us fools reject wisdom and knowledge.

Wise Christian people have better things to do than be ship wrecked with fools.

Take care.

Upvote 0