• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depressed About Liberty University

glenninindy

May 14, 2019
NW Indiana
✟11,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Brothers and Sisters; I am new here and need to talk about Jerry Falwel's son, Jerry Falwal Jr. Him and his wife's behavior was despicable and he does not seem very repentant. I am worried about the school no longer receiving as many students or donations because of those two. I was a student there and am so ashamed and sad about this. I have had depression for most of my life and going to Liberty helped me so much. I wonder if GOD will still bless the school? Judging from their unrepentant behavior, I don't think so. Why can't he truly repent and be humble? I saw a news article about his resignation with a quote from him saying, "Free at last!" Free to do what, live in more sin? This is not how a true Christian acts. If I was him I would separate from that wife, give most of my things to the poor, live in isolation, and repent for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Jeshu

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't get the impression that Liberty University itself is being seen as in disgrace simply because Jerry Falwell, Jr. is.

And plenty of major, state universities have suffered through significant scandals lately without becoming outcast or losing enrollment.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Brothers and Sisters; I am new here and need to talk about Jerry Falwel's son, Jerry Falwal Jr. Him and his wife's behavior was despicable and he does not seem very repentant. I am worried about the school no longer receiving as many students or donations because of those two. I was a student there and am so ashamed and sad about this. I have had depression for most of my life and going to Liberty helped me so much. I wonder if GOD will still bless the school? Judging from their unrepentant behavior, I don't think so. Why can't he truly repent and be humble? I saw a news article about his resignation with a quote from him saying, "Free at last!" Free to do what, live in more sin? This is not how a true Christian acts. If I was him I would separate from that wife, give most of my things to the poor, live in isolation, and repent for the rest of my life.
Welcome! I am sorry you feel depressed over the actions of a man and the consequences the institution will suffer. The "good news" is we as Christians do not need things of man we only need the power of His Holy Spirit to strengthen us daily. Turn your faith to Him and not to man and you will overcome this perceived obstacle. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

glenninindy

May 14, 2019
NW Indiana
✟11,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't get the impression that Liberty University itself is being seen as in disgrace simply because Jerry Falwell, Jr. is.

And plenty of major, state universities have suffered through significant scandals lately without becoming outcast or losing enrollment.

Thanks. I hope not, but as you know he was the president. I hate to admit this but I myself think that this unrepentant attitude does not set a good example for future students and I myself would hold back donations until I see a good GOD fearing person in the drivers seat there admonishing their behavior.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I hope not, but as you know he was the president. I hate to admit this but I myself think that this unrepentant attitude does not set a good example for future students and I myself would hold back donations until I see a good GOD fearing person in the drivers seat there admonishing their behavior.
Well, that attitude you are referring to doesn't earn him any sympathy, I'm sure. And that fact simply increases the distance and the difference between the former president and the university itself.

But as you say, a lot could depend on who it is that the board puts into the office of president. Someone with a solid reputation could cause this incident to wind up making the university even stronger in the public's eye, since a certain percentage of the population wasn't impressed (I am thinking) at the presidency being passed, in almost monarchistic fashion, to the founder's son.

That sort of thing can be seen as cult-like by some people or, if not that, 'bush league.' Now is the time when that can be rectified.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, he could become a monk. Or a hermit. Will he?

Don't get too depressed by people acting badly. It's the norm for human existence. Be happy when there is evidence of those rare people acting well. It is far more uplifting. Expecting too much from humans will always get you down. But sometimes you can be surprised.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thank you Folks. You've helped me very much. May GOD keep you and protect you all.
Well, it's about Jesus and not so much about Liberty University.

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not how a true Christian acts. If I was him I would separate from that wife, give most of my things to the poor, live in isolation, and repent for the rest of my life.

Just because his last name is Falwell and he held a job at Liberty....what makes you think he is a Christian?

I don't know if he is or not. But I do know this.....he isn't going to do any of those things you said.

People need to stop putting their hopes, blind trust, and personal dreams in other people. Why? Because people will let you down - especially people in power.

Yes, what he did was sickening. And that's not all he did.

He needs serious prayer. And you need to let go, move on with your life, live it for Christ, and help others.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would consider the possibility that the school should receive fewer students and donations. People high up in the institution knew Falwell Jr wasn’t living by all of the strict standards students are held to. If he was able to make the kind of comments he reportedly did to others in administration, that implies the hypocrisy and cynicism wasn’t limited to him. That is inexcusable.

Legalism doesn’t work. It drives people into hiding and causes many to be “fake” and to seek out the judgement of others to distract from one’s own sins. It’s destructive.

That’s my opinion, coming from experience as the daughter of a very legalistic fundamentalist leader. I’ve seen it from the inside. The worst perversions are born in such environments where self-hatred and shame are more prevalent than love and compassion.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is often true, IF it becomes apparent that the administration and faculty turned a blind eye towards wrongdoing on the part of the school's president.

In the case of Liberty, I don't know one way or the other if that happened or not.

However, this possible pitfall makes the choice of the next president even more critical. If he's known to be first-rate, probably the school will continue on without a major problem. But if not, then this issue you referred us to could grow worse.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
glenninindy,

I’m sorry recent events have upset and depressed you. We must remember God has many ways of pruning a tree. He told us all hidden things would be revealed. If the school’s intentions are genuine and He’s behind it despite human failings, they’ll be okay. There may be a period of discomfort to endure. But discipline is rarely pain free.

As a former attendee who is deeply moved, your mandate is prayer for the students, administration, and Mr. and Mrs. Falwell. Only God knows the truth. We are privy to the details that were revealed thus far. But He knows their hearts.

Don’t make friends with heaviness or any form of depression. When thoughts and feelings arise leading you in that direction cast them down and follow with words of praise.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0