Moreno Valley, Ca
✟7,653.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First of all to the mods: if what I am about to write is in some way against the rules of this forum, please remove this thread and I apologize in advance.

I tried to join another forum whose name I will not give but it does hold to the reformed Calvinistic doctrines and I was denied membership because of my Credobaptist beliefs. I would like to know from those of you that hold to the Paedobaptist belief if any of you believe that the doctrine of Credobaptist is a heresy and if it is so important to ones theology that it is a concern to divide?

I have never seen it as a concern to disassociate one whe believes the other and see it as something that should not divide.

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would not see this as a matter for disassociation under ordinary circumstances. It can become a divisive matter when proponents on both sides of the topic move beyond civil discourse and begin calling for the repentance of the other. So there is good reason why a forum may restrict discussion of either view depending upon that forum's owners and their confessional basis (if they have one).

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
It happens. Frankly modern "reformed" people take this issue as unimportant but the reformers among many of their decents did consider it as highly important. I personally don't consider baptist as reformed but I do hold a high view of the westminster confession of faith.

Upvote 0

JasonLibertad

Historical Christianity
May 28, 2011
Moreno Valley, Ca
✟7,653.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you lived 400 years ago they would have done much worse than that ;)

Yes and 400 years ago they burned people at the stake as well.

I would not see this as a matter for disassociation under ordinary circumstances. It can become a divisive matter when proponents on both sides of the topic move beyond civil discourse and begin calling for the repentance of the other. So there is good reason why a forum may restrict discussion of either view depending upon that forum's owners and their confessional basis (if they have one).

I understand if I was engaged in discussion in a topic that causes strife and discord among brethren but I simply tried to join the forum and and in order to do that you have to write in what you believe and the reason they gave for the denial was not holding to the Paedobaptist belief. Shame because the forum has a wonderful structure with great information. It's ok because I enjoy this forum as well.

It happens. Frankly modern "reformed" people take this issue as unimportant but the reformers among many of their decents did consider it as highly important. I personally don't consider baptist as reformed but I do hold a high view of the westminster confession of faith.

Why may I ask do you not consider Baptist to be "Reformed"? If they hold to all the doctrines of Grace are they not reformed in mind?

Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Why may I ask do you not consider Baptist to be "Reformed"? If they hold to all the doctrines of Grace are they not reformed in mind?
I don't want to get into a 100 post debate on what the term reformed means. But historically anyways it has been defined by confessions, usually 3 forms of unity and the westminster confession of faith. Now a days if you hold 4 out 5 points of calvinism people call themselves reformed. Not for us old school types.

Obviously this is a big point of contention for baptists and old school presbyterians/reformed dudes.

Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand if I was engaged in discussion in a topic that causes strife and discord among brethren but I simply tried to join the forum and and in order to do that you have to write in what you believe and the reason they gave for the denial was not holding to the Paedobaptist belief. Shame because the forum has a wonderful structure with great information. It's ok because I enjoy this forum as well.
Must be a very restrictive discussion site. One of the most restrictive ones I know, and am a member at, is The Puritan Board, but even there both views are allowed within narrow restrictions in order to preserve the peace.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First of all to the mods: if what I am about to write is in some way against the rules of this forum, please remove this thread and I apologize in advance.

I tried to join another forum whose name I will not give but it does hold to the reformed Calvinistic doctrines and I was denied membership because of my Credobaptist beliefs. I would like to know from those of you that hold to the Paedobaptist belief if any of you believe that the doctrine of Credobaptist is a heresy and if it is so important to ones theology that it is a concern to divide?

I wouldn't want to join a forum that leaves so little room for disagreement. I do not believe it is heresy, and neither view should cause division. I lean towards Paedobaptist, and Covenant Theology, however I may differ slightly in my understanding and just how strongly or firmly I hold them. And so far as emphasis goes, some may disagree, but personally, I see many greater (in my mind) issues deserving emphasis and attention.

I have never seen it as a concern to disassociate one whe believes the other and see it as something that should not divide.

I agree 110% :amen:

Reactions: file13
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I guess I hold to a softer view of WCF, and not looking for heated debate, and the word "reformed" might be debatable, but I would not go so far as to say Reformed Baptists are not Reformed, unless Reformed by definition necessarily entails Covenant Theology. In my mind, the Doctrines of Grace and the Five Sola's are the heart and soul of Reformed Theology, as such I would consider any Baptist holding to them as Reformed. The great Baptist preacher C.H. Spurgeon, was a staunch defender of Calvinism. The way I see it, Reformed Baptist's and Presbyterian's have Reformed Theology in common, the contrast (Covenant Theology) is represented more in the "Baptist" and "Presbyterian" distinctions than the "Reformed" distinction. Just my thoughts...

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jason - looks like you are new around these parts - Welcome!

Just curious - which forum? Is it here at CF? If it is (and its the one I'm thinking of) - I can give you an explanation as to why you were denied membership. I think you'd understand if you got the full story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I guess I hold to a softer view of WCF, and not looking for heated debate, and the word "reformed" might be debatable, but I would not go so far as to say Reformed Baptists are not Reformed, unless Reformed by definition necessarily entails Covenant Theology. In my mind, the Doctrines of Grace and the Five Sola's are the heart and soul of Reformed Theology, as such I would consider any Baptist holding to them as Reformed. The great Baptist preacher C.H. Spurgeon, was a staunch defender of Calvinism. The way I see it, Reformed Baptist's and Presbyterian's have Reformed Theology in common, the contrast (Covenant Theology) is represented more in the "Baptist" and "Presbyterian" distinctions than the "Reformed" distinction. Just my thoughts...
Certainly Spurgeon, James White and even Piper are great preachers. The problem is that they would not adhere to the historic reformed confessions in many areas therefore are not reformed.

But that's the last thing I would post about that subject unless something else that is important comes up.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes and 400 years ago they burned people at the stake as well.

Thats what i was talking about. 400 years ago we would have been hunted like animals by reformers for practicing in and adhering to biblical baptism.

Bro, baptists have never been reformed thats what i was trying to get through on another thread. Spurgeon and Gill would horrified to see what many sovereign grace baptists call themselves today, reformed baptist. Baptists have a glorious history that goes much farther back than the reformation, all the way to the apostolic churches. Hear Mr Spurgeon,

"We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at the reformation, we were reformers before Luther or Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, (thus baptists cannot be reformed, because we were never papists) but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves.

We have always existed from the very days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel underground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents.

Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor I believe any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man.

We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with the government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men". (From The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol.VII, Page 225).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jason, hear some more from Mr Spurgeon,

"History has hitherto been written by our enemies, who never would have kept a single fact about us upon the record if they could have helped it, and yet it leaks out every now and then that certain poor people called Anabaptists were brought up for condemnation.

From the days of Henry II to those of Elizabeth we hear of certain unhappy heretics who were hated of all men for the truth's sake which was in them. We read of poor men and women, with their garments cut short, turned out into the fields to perish in the cold, and anon of others who were burnt at Newington for the crime of Anabaptism.

Long before your Protestants were known of, these horrible Anabaptists, as they were unjustly called, were protesting for the 'one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.' No sooner did the visible church begin to depart from the gospel than these men arose to keep fast by the good old way.

The priests and monks wished for peace and slumber, but there was always a Baptist or a Lollard tickling men's ears with holy Scriptures, and calling their attention to the errors of the times. They were a poor persecuted tribe.

The halter was thought to be too good for them. At times ill-written history would have us think that they died out, so well had the wolf done his work on the sheep. Yet here we are, blessed and multiplied; and Newington sees other scenes from Sabbath to Sabbath.

As I think of your numbers and efforts, I can only say in wonder - what a growth! As I think of the multitudes of our brethren in America, I may well say, What hath God wrought! Our history forbids discouragement." (From the Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, 1881, Vol. 27, page 249.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yield no principle, no, not the breadth of a hair of that principle. Stand up for every solitary grain of truth; contend for it as for your life.

Remember your forefathers, not merely your Christian forefathers but those who are your progenitors in the faith as Baptists.

Remember those who of old were cast out with contempt, because they would not bend to the errors of their times.

Think of the snows of the Alps, and call to mind the Waldenses, and the Albigenses, your great forerunners. Think again, of the Lollards the disciples of Wycliffe; think of your brethren in Germany, who, not many centuries nay, but a century ago, were sewn up in sacks, had their hands chopped off, and bled and died -- a glorious list of martyrs.

Your whole pedigree, from the beginning to the end is stained with blood.

From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been made to suffer the violence of men; and you! will you yield?

Shall these soft times, these gentle ages, take away your pristine valor and make you the craven sons of heroic fathers?

Never, I entreat of you, grow faint in your course, but bring more of the love of your hearts into the service of your lives. Never yield one tittle of the truth which God has committed to you.” New Park Street Pulpit. (London: Passmore & Alabaster, 1860). Volume 6, Pages

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jason, what do you think Mr Spurgeon would say about a baptist taking the name of reformed after reading the following quote ?

“We tell these gentlemen who are so set upon fusing the Paedobaptists and the Baptists, that we hope all who think with them will avail themselves of the plank so conveniently and temptingly offered to them, but we take liberty to say again that there is one Baptist at least who will never be absorbed into the projected unity, and we believe that, with the exception of a score or so whom we could well spare, there are none among the Baptists who would consider for a moment the question of breaking up our ancient and useful Christian community.” The Sword and The Trowel. (London: Passmore & Alabaster, 1867). Volume 1, (March, 1867) Pages 327-328.

By ancient community he is referring to our baptist heritage of the spiritual principles of free grace and believers baptism all the way to the apostolic churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thats what i was talking about. 400 years ago we would have been hunted like animals by reformers for practicing in and adhering to biblical baptism.

Really? I would very much like to see documentation for your claim. Because it is no small claim, and the broad sweeping nature of it. Even so, let's say there was a Reformer (names?) that did such a thing (for adhering to biblical baptism??), this is no different from a black person blaming you and me for slavery (of our ancestors) when you and me have never owned a slave in our life, have no desire or need for one, neither would we be supporters of such a law, especially in a secular society. I cannot help but see such a claim as a poisoning of the well, if you will.

Bro, baptists have never been reformed thats what i was trying to get through on another thread. Spurgeon and Gill would horrified to see what many sovereign grace baptists call themselves today, reformed baptist. Baptists have a glorious history that goes much farther back than the reformation, all the way to the apostolic churches.

The Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Church of Christ, etc. also make such claims, in fact most people would like to think their Church, Theology, etc go back to apostolic Christianity, ie. is THE Biblical tm denomination. It seem everyone wants to lay claim to that apostolic successive pie and extrapolate it to their pet denomination. I understand you are proud of your Baptist heritage and you probably should be, but there are as many different types of Baptist denominations as there are colors in a rainbow, and all of them would claim to be Biblical, and apostolic successors. Free will Baptists and Sovereign grace Baptists do not even preach the same gospel. Free will Baptists preach the gospel according to synergism while Sovereign grace Baptists preach the gospel according to monergism? Which is Biblical? Both cannot be in line with apostolic teaching.

Hear Mr Spurgeon,
"We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at the reformation, we were reformers before Luther or Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, (thus baptists cannot be reformed, because we were never papists) but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves.

Well, Mr. Spurgeon is entitled to believe what he did, however that does not make it so. I believe born again Christians (the only real kind) have existed in every Christian denomination. Born again Christians are the apostolic successors because their authority is based on their being filled with the Holy Spirit, this God given authority, God given successorship. I also believe there were many true Christians in Church of Rome, such as Luther, however they were in no position to start a Reformation, and rightly feared Roman authorities. I am familar with much Church history, however I would be interested in some kind of evidence to support the claim Baptists were reformers before Luther or Calvin, and how a group of only non-conformists actively "reformed" outside of their little group. For you see, owning just a single book of the Bible was no small thing in those days before the printing press and costs associated with it. The average layman did not have easy access to any Scripture, the clergy read and interpreted it for them. Those poor people did not choose where and when they were born, nevertheless God almighty in His divine providence did use imperfect means to accomplish His will according to His purpose. The unbroken lineage, is the universal invisible body of Christ, His Church and people that He has chosen to awaken spiritually (born again Christians) throughout all ages throughout the earth. His Church is not and never has been a denomination (or made of brick and stone), as much as I can appreciate denominations.

We have always existed from the very days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel underground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents.

Most every denomination can say the same...

Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor I believe any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man.

I fail to see the advantage of trying to separate Baptists from Romanists and Protestants, any more than Amish or Mennonites would. Speaking of persecution in generalizations of broad sweeping claims is not helpful, when their have likely been persecutors on every side. I have heard of Baptists becoming atheists, becoming catholics, etc. Were they not true Baptists? Have Baptists never persecuted Baptists in some manner or form? I wonder how many Baptists have walked away from SBC feeling just a little persecuted...

We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with the government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men". (From The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol.VII, Page 225).[/SIZE]

Here Spurgeon is merely giving his view of government, and specifically the government of his day in the area where he lived. I would hope, if Mr. Spurgeon, had lived in King David's day, if he were an Israelite, would have submitted to the anointing of David and his rule based on the will and authority of God. On another note, the only Presbyterian government, or closest thing to, I know of, which is on a small scale, would be Calvin over Geneva. The Puritans did have an influence in the founding of government in America. Personally, I do not feel "separatist" views will solve the countless problems with government. But the topic of Church and government is too lengthy and off topic for this thread.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Really? I would very much like to see documentation for your claim. Because it is no small claim, and the broad sweeping nature of it. Even so, let's say there was a Reformer (names?) that did such a thing (for adhering to biblical baptism??), this is no different from a black person blaming you and me for slavery (of our ancestors) when you and me have never owned a slave in our life, have no desire or need for one, neither would we be supporters of such a law, especially in a secular society. I cannot help but see such a claim as a poisoning of the well, if you will.

Right. Names ? Calvin for one, he persecuted anabaptists. Would you like to look up what kind of words he used to describe people who practice baptism by immersion upon a proffesion of faith ? Would you like to see what he thinks should be done with them ? There many more names. The reformers that were sympathetic to the anabaptists were in the very tiny minority. The rest treated them no different than the papists. Do your own research. Start with baptist martyrologies.

The Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Church of Christ, etc. also make such claims, in fact most people would like to think their Church, Theology, etc go back to apostolic Christianity, ie. is THE Biblical tm denomination. It seem everyone wants to lay claim to that apostolic successive pie and extrapolate it to their pet denomination.

It is not subjective. Papists, EO's, were state churches; religion + politics = antichrist. Church Of Christ are Cambellites no more than 100 years old. Baptists have a spiritual kinship with free churches that taught believers baptism and free grace, throughout the centuries, persecuted by papists and protestants alike. This is not subjective. There indeed is a line to be drawn between various groups going by various names with the same spiritual principles, believers baptism and free grace, throughout the last 20 centuries.

I understand you are proud of your Baptist heritage and you probably should be, but there are as many different types of Baptist denominations as there are colors in a rainbow, and all of them would claim to be Biblical, and apostolic successors. Free will Baptists and Sovereign grace Baptists do not even preach the same gospel. Free will Baptists preach the gospel according to synergism while Sovereign grace Baptists preach the gospel according to monergism? Which is Biblical? Both cannot be in line with apostolic teaching.

Im aware of will worshiping baptists and their "another gospel". My point has been the spiritual kinship of free churches throughout the last 2000 years teaching the same spiritual principles, believers baptism and free grace.

Well, Mr. Spurgeon is entitled to believe what he did, however that does not make it so. I believe born again Christians (the only real kind) have existed in every Christian denomination. Born again Christians are the apostolic successors

I said apostolic churches, which means New Testament Churches. The free churches over the last 2000 years were persecuted by papists and later protestants for adhering to the new testament church model. Read the martyrologies.

I have heard of Baptists becoming atheists, becoming catholics, etc. Were they not true Baptists?

What ? Not only were they not baptist to begin with they were infidels. Real baptists adhere to a regenerate church membership, and are quickened converted believers. Sad all majority of modern baptists do for church membership today is ask if they repeated a sinners prayer. Majority of modern baptists are baptists in name only, with very little in common with historic baptists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just curious - which forum? Is it here at CF? If it is (and its the one I'm thinking of) - I can give you an explanation as to why you were denied membership. I think you'd understand if you got the full story.
Jason,

Like BB, I am interested in knowing more. Can you tell us what forum you are speaking about?

Upvote 0