Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to try to defend every person who calls himself a conservative or Republican, they can speak for themselves. I'm less concerned about individuals, some of whom might be crazy, than I am about the larger populations of the parties. In general conservatives are common sense, limited government, individual responsibility people, and liberals are collectivist, big government, no individual responsibility people. Conservatives are general sane, liberals not even close. So I'll go with conservatives, where we'll have at least a chance of saving the country we love.

The problem is for a policy that is sane, it tends to breed widely insane people.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps you should remember Sen Robert Byrd, liberal Democrat and Ku Klux Klan member.

Perhaps you should remember that not that many years ago Democrats where routinely lynching young black men, hanging them in trees: strange fruit indeed!

Perhaps you should remember Bull Connor, Democrat politician and police official in Birmingham Alabama, noted for turning dogs and fire hoses on blacks.

Perhaps you should remember Sen Ted Kennedy, liberal Democrat, killed young woman by driving off bridge while drunk,...and then swimming away to let her die.

Perhaps you should remember Rep Alcee Hastings, impeached federal judge, now Democratic member of conference who, with all the intelligence of a stump, recently proudly proclaimed concerning the Constitution: "There ain’t no rules here, we’re trying to accomplish something. . . .All this talk about rules. . . .When the deal goes down . . . we make ‘em up as we go along."

Vote for Democrats? Are you insane???

Most of you have forgotten, or maybe never knew, that the Democratic party has from the beginning been the party of slavery, the KKK, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, and now the newest, fashionable among liberals, racism, affirmative action.

Not a chance in the world I will ever vote for a Democrat! I'm not that gullible, but I fear that many of you here are.

Again, I find this hilarious that I'm being called a liberal when two years ago I was supposedly just as conservative as Voegelin or GodGunsandGlory. You guys are hilarious it is starting to drive me insane.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mcswan - you are completely missing my point. I'm not suggesting you vote for democrats. I'm suggesting that conservatives start backing other rational conservatives or the November elections may not be as great as you think. They should stick to key issues like fiscal responsibility and immigration reform and avoid supporting the Obama-Wants-to-Put-You-In-A-Concentration-Camp candidates. Those folks won't do as well in a national election.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
mcswan - you are completely missing my point. I'm not suggesting you vote for democrats. I'm suggesting that conservatives start backing other rational conservatives or the November elections may not be as great as you think. They should stick to key issues like fiscal responsibility and immigration reform and avoid supporting the Obama-Wants-to-Put-You-In-A-Concentration-Camp candidates. Those folks won't do as well in a national election.

Too late.

And honestly? I think that if the liberals were given the opportunity to be this crazy, they probably would be the same. ('08, great example, even though that wasn't near that kind of potential).

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
[quote=Grizzly;55468955]the Republicans give us the best chance for limited government.
I know that this is the common belief, but I suggest that you really research that. The reality is that the largest (both in number and scope) expansions of government occured under the watch of Republicans.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Hey WWE fans, I hope you’re all enjoying the program tonight,” Obama said to wrestling fans two years ago . . . “Do you smell what Barack is cooking?” Obama added, a reference to the famous catchphrase of former WWE personality “The Rock,” played by actor Dwayne Johnson . . .

Dems blast WWE even though their presidential candidates appeared on ‘WWE RAW’ in 2008 | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
There's a difference between making an appearance on a show, and choosing to be part of a plot line where the crowd chanting a derogatory sexist ephihet at your biological daughter.

Agree?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

meh

Legend
Feb 22, 2006
✟52,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
mcswan said:
Perhaps you should remember Sen Robert Byrd, liberal Democrat and Ku Klux Klan member.

Perhaps you should remember that not that many years ago Democrats where routinely lynching young black men, hanging them in trees: strange fruit indeed!

Perhaps you should remember Bull Connor, Democrat politician and police official in Birmingham Alabama, noted for turning dogs and fire hoses on blacks.

Perhaps you should remember Sen Ted Kennedy, liberal Democrat, killed young woman by driving off bridge while drunk,...and then swimming away to let her die.

Perhaps you should remember Rep Alcee Hastings, impeached federal judge, now Democratic member of conference who, with all the intelligence of a stump, recently proudly proclaimed concerning the Constitution: "There ain’t no rules here, we’re trying to accomplish something. . . .All this talk about rules. . . .When the deal goes down . . . we make ‘em up as we go along."

Most of you have forgotten, or maybe never knew, that the Democratic party has from the beginning been the party of slavery, the KKK, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, and now the newest, fashionable among liberals, racism, affirmative action.

Not a chance in the world I will ever vote for a Democrat! I'm not that gullible, but I fear that many of you here are.

mcswan said:
[quote=Grizzly]mcswan - you are completely missing my point. I'm not suggesting you vote for democrats. I'm suggesting that conservatives start backing other rational conservatives or the November elections may not be as great as you think. They should stick to key issues like fiscal responsibility and immigration reform and avoid supporting the Obama-Wants-to-Put-You-In-A-Concentration-Camp candidates. Those folks won't do as well in a national election.

Oh boy,..do I really dare ask what you think a "rational conservative" is?

Look, let me explain a few things about my political philosophy. Now that we've gotten some emotionally satisfying rants out of the way, maybe it's time for serious dialogue.

I am registered Republican, not because I slavishly follow the party line, but because, of the two parties, the Republicans give us the best chance for limited government. I am much closer to being Libertarian, not all the way there, but close. I fear government power because I know it will always be inefficient and corrupt and seeking greater power. I'll post a few quotes here to let you get a feel for my beliefs.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." Thomas Jefferson

"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive." Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."Thomas Jefferson

"The powers delegated ... to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, [such] as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce. ... The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people." James Madison, father of the U.S. Constitution

"If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may appoint teachers in every State, county and parish and pay them out of their public treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children,
establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may assume the provision of the poor; they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads; in short, every thing, from the highest object of state legislation down to the most minute object of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress.... Were the power of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for, it would subvert the very foundations, and transmute the very nature of the limited Government established by the people of America."
James Madison

"... government can do little positive good to the people, [but] it may do an immense deal of harm. And here is where the beauty of the Democratic principle comes in. Democracy would prevent all this harm. It would have no man's benefit achieved at the expense of his neighbors ... this one single rule, rationally construed and applied, is enough to form the starting point of all that is necessary in government; to make no more laws than those useful for preventing a man or body of men from infringing on the rights of other men." Walt Whitman

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant, and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."George Washington

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson

This last quote by Jefferson is forever engraved in the Constitution, and should be thrust in the face of every politician every day before any legislation is passed, and the question asked "Where is the authority for you to do this?"

"Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled." U.S. Constitution, 10th Amendment, described by Thomas Jefferson as "The foundation of the Constitution."

Perhaps you have forgotten

Thomas Jefferson- slave owner
James Madison- slave owner
George Washington- slave owner

[/B]As to your comment that some Republican candidates are idiots, I agree. I do not feel obligated to defend every candidate, of any party or political philosophy.

But you do feel the need to tell Democrats we are 'not sane' and gullible and you seem to imply we either do not love America or have no interest in saving it. Though I'm not sure what we're saving it from. Liberals, I suppose. You also feel the need to write up a post about really bad Democrats and imply we shouldn't vote for Democrats because the party started with or had/has some very unsavory characters. Yet you quote and seem to greaty admire (and rightly so) the writings of men who kept other human beings as chattle. So I find you a little confusing in that some people we admire despite their faults, yet others we not only don't admire, we use their faults to condemn an entire party. I find your reasoning as confusing as the CF quote system.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Well said.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well said.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Are you worried that democrats are going to try and bring back Jim Crow laws?

The Dixiecrats that mcswan listed there were also opposed by other Democrats during the 50's and 60's in fact, it was the democratic support for the Civil Rights act that turned the south against the Democrats and for the Republicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

The Dixiecrats that mcswan listed there were also opposed by other Democrats during the 50's and 60's in fact, it was the democratic support for the Civil Rights act that turned the south against the Democrats and for the Republicans.
There is really no reason to travel back in time and dig up the ghosts of long dead democrats in order to support opposition to them today when there are plenty of living democrats to oppose. It is todays democrats and todays leftist ideology that needs to be defeated. Whether certain past members of their party were saints or sinners is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is really no reason to travel back in time and dig up the ghosts of long dead democrats in order to support opposition to them today when there are plenty of living democrats to oppose. It is todays democrats and todays leftist ideology that needs to be defeated. Whether certain past members of their party were saints or sinners is irrelevant.

That's the argument I should have made (well, without the references to today's dems :) ).

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

A number of posters on this website are ignorant of US history during the '50's and 60's. I, having lived through it, have a more complete picture. Many people don't know that it was the Jewish community and conservatives like Charlton Heston who were walking along side civil rights activists like Rev. Martin Luther King. All the while people like Democratic Governor George Wallace were standing in school entrances preventing minority students from entering. Was this indicative of all Democrats, certainly not. I found many to vote for on a local and national level. But the current standard bearers have lost their way and no longer represent the American people. The current Democratic Party is lost.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I don't get is the statement that the Democratic Party doesn't represent the American people. "The people" voted democrats into the white house and "the people" voted enough dems to control the senate and the house of reps.

I fear that you think your views are the "views of the people" and people who don't share your views are "not the people". Look at the makeup of the federal government today. If they aren't representing you, then perhaps it is YOUR views that are in the minority.

Upvote 0