Democratic Mayor Doubles down on reducing police as the crime rate soars.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quote from link:

Mayor Bill de Blasio on Tuesday once again decried Gotham’s gun violence epidemic without offering any concrete solutions — while doubling down on the department’s decision to disband its gun-hunting anti-crime unit — during another press conference attended by no members of NYPD brass.
he is combating gun violence by disbanding the gun hunting and anti crime unit.

Brilliant.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Truth About New York’s Rising Murder Numbers
Murders rose in 2019 for the first time in three years, yet they are still extremely low compared with past eras, and reports of other violent crimes crept up only slightly or declined.

iu

Mayor Bill de Blasio on Tuesday once again decried Gotham’s gun violence epidemic without offering any concrete solutions — while doubling down on the department’s decision to disband its gun-hunting anti-crime unit

Crime in New York City fell even as the policing tactic was abandoned.
Like many conservatives, I had grave concerns about curtailing the New York City police department’s controversial tactic of stopping and frisking potential suspects for weapons. I was inclined to defer to the police when they protested that they needed the option to stop, question, and frisk New Yorkers on a mere reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing instead of probable cause that the targeted person had committed a crime. Restricting the tactic, I thought, would cause an uptick, maybe even a spike, in crime rates. Mayor Bill de Blasio, who made ending stop-and-frisk the centerpiece of his successful 2013 campaign for mayor, struck me as a man who was cynically willing to tolerate an increase in crime if he thought it to his political advantage to amplify leftist voters’ core belief that policing was out of control.

Today in New York City, use of stop-and-frisk, which the department justified via the 1968 Terry v. Ohio Supreme Court ruling, has crashed. Yet the statistics are clear: Crime is lower than ever. It’s possible that crime would be even lower had stop-and-frisk been retained, but that’s moving the goalposts. I and others argued that crime would rise. Instead, it fell. We were wrong.

New York City & Stop-and-Frisk: Crime Decline Shows Conservatives Were Wrong | National Review

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Murders rose in 2019 for the first time in three years, yet they are still extremely low compared with past eras, and reports of other violent crimes crept up only slightly or declined.

iu

Crime in New York City fell even as the policing tactic was abandoned.
Like many conservatives, I had grave concerns about curtailing the New York City police department’s controversial tactic of stopping and frisking potential suspects for weapons. I was inclined to defer to the police when they protested that they needed the option to stop, question, and frisk New Yorkers on a mere reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing instead of probable cause that the targeted person had committed a crime. Restricting the tactic, I thought, would cause an uptick, maybe even a spike, in crime rates. Mayor Bill de Blasio, who made ending stop-and-frisk the centerpiece of his successful 2013 campaign for mayor, struck me as a man who was cynically willing to tolerate an increase in crime if he thought it to his political advantage to amplify leftist voters’ core belief that policing was out of control.

Today in New York City, use of stop-and-frisk, which the department justified via the 1968 Terry v. Ohio Supreme Court ruling, has crashed. Yet the statistics are clear: Crime is lower than ever. It’s possible that crime would be even lower had stop-and-frisk been retained, but that’s moving the goalposts. I and others argued that crime would rise. Instead, it fell. We were wrong.

New York City & Stop-and-Frisk: Crime Decline Shows Conservatives Were Wrong | National Review

your article is from January of 2018

The good mayor is dealing with the last 30-60 days.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NYC Homicides Soar 21 Percent in First 6 Months of 2020, Shootings Up 46 Percent

This is what is happening 2020

• According to the NYPD, 178 homicides were reported in New York City so far this year. The statistics include information through June 30. This is a 21 percent increase from the number homicides reported during the same time last year when the city saw 147 homicides.
  • The city has seen 528 shooting incidents and 636 shooting victims this year through June 30. This translates to a 46 percent increase in incidents and a 53 percent increase in shooting victims compared to the same time last year when the city reported 362 incidents and 415 victims.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NYC Homicides Soar 21 Percent in First 6 Months of 2020, Shootings Up 46 Percent

This is what is happening 2020

• According to the NYPD, 178 homicides were reported in New York City so far this year. The statistics include information through June 30. This is a 21 percent increase from the number homicides reported during the same time last year when the city saw 147 homicides.
  • The city has seen 528 shooting incidents and 636 shooting victims this year through June 30. This translates to a 46 percent increase in incidents and a 53 percent increase in shooting victims compared to the same time last year when the city reported 362 incidents and 415 victims.
I expect it to get much worse until the police are given the respect they deserve.

Upvote 0

Crimson Dragon

Jul 15, 2020
Texas
✟8,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Respect is earned, not commanded.

I won't put up with a police officer who behaves like an obnoxious jerk toward me or toward anyone else I know. All that gets the officer is me filing a disgruntled complaint against them to their superior officers. The officer gets a dressing down by their superior officer(s) and I get an official apology. I've filed complaints against belligerent officers before and I won't hesitate to do it again if necessary.

The video I'm sharing was sent to me by a friend and it offers one of the best explanations on the subject of people mistrusting and turning against the police. I recommend watching the entire video.

Video summary:

Recent protests and riots have made one thing abundantly clear: Some people hate police officers. Why do some people become enraged at an entire police force and the entire criminal justice system when a particular officer kills someone? Why are some people so angry that they want to defund the police or abolish police entirely? David Wood (an ex-con) discusses various examples of misconduct by police officers and correctional officers, and the impact these encounters have on suspects, inmates, and entire communities. He concludes with some suggestions for police reform.

Upvote 0