Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I realize there is already a thread about the RNC's failure to create a new platform (and also my own similar one from two months ago), but this new statement from the RNC on the eve of the GOP convention bears further attention.

Please read the statement. It won't take long. The main upshot is that, in essence, the Republican Party stands for whatever Trump says it does. And whatever we said 4 years ago is just fine today.

RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda;

RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.

Curiously, the RNC explicitly blames "strict restrictions on gatherings and meetings" for their inability to create a new platform. The reason for these restrictions is unnamed, but of course it is "their new hoax", the coronavirus. It's curious, I say, because the Democrats have managed to put together a 2020 platform, while it is actually the Republicans who are using COVID-19 as an excuse for not getting things done.

Anyway, for comparison, the Democratic 2020 Platform. Yes, it's TL;DR, but Plank #1 is
PROTECTING AMERICANS AND RECOVERING FROM THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. It would be nice to be able to compare that against the GOP platform on the topic, but of course, they are recycling their platform from 4 years ago, so the topic is not worthy of mention. All we know is they enthusiastically support the president, presumably on this issue as well as every other.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
f955c17220dbd726bdfea143466bbaa2.jpg

Platform?! We don't need no stinking platform!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Good grief...

So it's the battle of "We Are Not The Other Guy" platforms.

No. As I mentioned, the DNC platform has a plan for PROTECTING AMERICANS AND RECOVERING FROM THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.

There are also detailed sections on many other topics, but none for 'not the other guy'.

Creating Millions of Jobs Across America
Raising Wages and Promoting Workers’ Rights
Enacting Robust Work-Family Policies
Building A Fair System of International Trade for Our Workers

Putting Homeownership in Reach
Reforming the Tax Code to Benefit Working Families
Curbing Wall Street Abuses
Protecting Consumer Rights and Privacy
Guaranteeing a Secure and Dignified Retirement 25

ACHIEVING UNIVERSAL, AFFORDABLE, QUALITY HEALTH CARE 26
Expanding Access to Mental Health and Substance Use Treatment 30
Investing in Health Science and Research 34

Ending Violence Against Women
Supporting Faith and Service
Supporting Press Freedom
Supporting the Arts and Culture

RESTORING AND STRENGTHENING OUR DEMOCRACY 55
Protecting and Enforcing Voting Rights
Reforming the Broken Campaign Finance System

PROVIDING A WORLD-CLASS EDUCATION IN EVERY ZIP CODE

Revitalizing American Diplomacy
Ending Forever Wars
Keeping Faith with Our Veterans and Military Families

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I realize there is already a thread about the RNC's failure to create a new platform (and also my own similar one from two months ago), but this new statement from the RNC on the eve of the GOP convention bears further attention.

Please read the statement. It won't take long. The main upshot is that, in essence, the Republican Party stands for whatever Trump says it does. And whatever we said 4 years ago is just fine today.

RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda;

RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.

Curiously, the RNC explicitly blames "strict restrictions on gatherings and meetings" for their inability to create a new platform. The reason for these restrictions is unnamed, but of course it is "their new hoax", the coronavirus. It's curious, I say, because the Democrats have managed to put together a 2020 platform, while it is actually the Republicans who are using COVID-19 as an excuse for not getting things done.

Anyway, for comparison, the Democratic 2020 Platform. Yes, it's TL;DR, but Plank #1 is
PROTECTING AMERICANS AND RECOVERING FROM THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. It would be nice to be able to compare that against the GOP platform on the topic, but of course, they are recycling their platform from 4 years ago, so the topic is not worthy of mention. All we know is they enthusiastically support the president, presumably on this issue as well as every other.
Wow! Is this normal, for an incumbent party not to have a platform? Or is it as odd as it seems?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! Is this normal, for an incumbent party not to have a platform? Or is it as odd as it seems?

...not normal at all. It's also not normal for a party to completely capitulate to the whims of one man. Maybe the GOP should use the convention to announce a new party name that reflects the current reality. TNP - Trump Nationalist Party.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creating Millions of Jobs Across America
Raising Wages and Promoting Workers’ Rights
Enacting Robust Work-Family Policies
Building A Fair System of International Trade for Our Workers

Ok...
This section right here.

We've seen some of these things in the past.
Trump just finished pulling us out of a bunch of treaties where the other party in the treaty was not fulfilling their part.
(I'm especially disturbed @ Iran's treaty as I love their saffron)
Most of these were put in place by the Obama administration. Hamstringing American companies while allowing foreign companies free reign.

And repeats of increasing the minimum wage that destroys jobs and increases costs causing inflation on basic need consumables isn't exactly wise coming out of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Most of your food processing plants that clean chicken, pork, beef, frozen vegetables, and other grain or fruit related products all usually pay minimum wages because there isn't much margin in these processed foods.

Ground beef is already at $5+ per pound...you want it worse? Or having people completely replaced with robotics?

There's a segment of every population group that is not cut out for utilizing post secondary educations. That's who does these low skill jobs.

On top of this 60% of the world consumes the food America creates and pays top dollar for the food as it is considered the safest food in the world. So now the whole world will face food inflation.

So...
This portion sounds good...but the objectives for how the Democrats have done this in the past have not worked but actually done more to destroy the existing economy and jobs and work/home life balance.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you agree the Democratic platform is not at all what you originally said it was.

ROFL....I was expecting it last week.
But yes they now have what you would call a platform.
I would call it Obama redux...or basically a "we aren't republicans" platform.

There really isn't anything new in this platform from past years...
It seems as recycled as the Republican's platform. (Other than "we are going to cure Covid-19")
Which to give the Trump and Obama administration both their due...both have literally dumped money into research.

Now to Trump's credit he has removed the Chinese scientists' pilfering of information from the investment of the USA's tax dollars...which Obama didn't seem to care about.
The Wuhan facility was tapped into doing research funded by USA dollars that resulted in this pandemic...so some blame can be cast on both presidential administrations for the current situation. Everyone knew that their controls were lax and that was why they were the cheapest place to do the lab work.

What isn't clear is how the Democrats are going to accomplish this cure that no one is cognizant of.
There's already an antiviral in the works as well as the overly hyped vaccines.

Yes, it's a platform...just a recycled one with no real specifics that still says "We aren't the other guys".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok...
This section right here.

We've seen some of these things in the past.
Trump just finished pulling us out of a bunch of treaties where the other party in the treaty was not fulfilling their part.
(I'm especially disturbed @ Iran's treaty as I love their saffron)
Most of these were put in place by the Obama administration. Hamstringing American companies while allowing foreign companies free reign.

And repeats of increasing the minimum wage that destroys jobs and increases costs causing inflation on basic need consumables isn't exactly wise coming out of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Most of your food processing plants that clean chicken, pork, beef, frozen vegetables, and other grain or fruit related products all usually pay minimum wages because there isn't much margin in these processed foods.

Ground beef is already at $5+ per pound...you want it worse? Or having people completely replaced with robotics?

There's a segment of every population group that is not cut out for utilizing post secondary educations. That's who does these low skill jobs.

On top of this 60% of the world consumes the food America creates and pays top dollar for the food as it is considered the safest food in the world. So now the whole world will face food inflation.

So...
This portion sounds good...but the objectives for how the Democrats have done this in the past have not worked but actually done more to destroy the existing economy and jobs and work/home life balance.

increases in minimum wage have not destroyed jobs. Ref:Why Does the Minimum Wage Have No Discernible Effect on Employment? Center for Economic and Policy Research

It does reduce employee turn over and it increases worker productivity. ref Institute for Research on Labor and Employment

Current beef prices are the result of drought not employment

According to a recent piece of economic research that examined the effect of prices on minimum wage increases in various states in the U.S. from 1978 through 2015, they found that the largest increase on product pricing from any minimum wage increase only accounts for around a 0.36% increase in prices.
The Effects of Increasing the Minimum Wage on Prices: Analyzing the Incidence of Policy Design and Context Upjohn Institute for employment research

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...not normal at all. It's also not normal for a party to completely capitulate to the whims of one man. Maybe the GOP should use the convention to announce a new party name that reflects the current reality. TNP - Trump Nationalist Party.
Sounds to me like Trump didn’t want to present a platform that he would be held accountable for delivering or answering questions about.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Wuhan facility was tapped into doing research funded by USA dollars that resulted in this pandemic...so some blame can be cast on both presidential administrations for the current situation. Everyone knew that their controls were lax and that was why they were the cheapest place to do the lab work.

That’s not true, it’s a conspiracy theory with no factual basis.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

If you remove the 'N', then it becomes simply "TP."

Infer from that what you will.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What isn't clear is how the Democrats are going to accomplish this cure that no one is cognizant of.
I think they were pretty clear that they intend to allow the CDC and the FDA to do their jobs and to follow their recommendations. They don't intend to claim they are smarter than doctors and scientists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s not true, it’s a conspiracy theory with no factual basis.
It was a university in Texas (I'm forgetting which one at the moment) that was involved with researching coronaviruses as a class of virus as part of an NIH funded research grant because not a whole lot is known about this virus.

Universities may or may not have the means to complete live virus studies. (The facilities required are expensive to maintain and clean) The grant may have been requested including the use and costs from the Wuhan facility by name. (Much cheaper than any American lab)
Coronavirus or any virus doesn't have to be engineered....there are billions to choose from.
And the escaping virus could have happened from something as simple as throwing away the lining of a mice cage in the wrong trash receptacle which scavenging animals then accessed. Not intentional but disastrous just the same.

After all it isn't just one strain they are fighting it is three...which has turned into 9 (I think ) currently.

It's not a conspiracy theory or anything like that...stupid mistakes from the Chinese being cheap and careless and trying to steal American research.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The DNC platform is nothing but " Cheeto man bad, do opposite what he says.,"

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It was a university in Texas (I'm forgetting which one at the moment) that was involved with researching coronaviruses as a class of virus as part of an NIH funded research grant because not a whole lot is known about this virus.

Universities may or may not have the means to complete live virus studies. (The facilities required are expensive to maintain and clean) The grant may have been requested including the use and costs from the Wuhan facility by name. (Much cheaper than any American lab)
Coronavirus or any virus doesn't have to be engineered....there are billions to choose from.
And the escaping virus could have happened from something as simple as throwing away the lining of a mice cage in the wrong trash receptacle which scavenging animals then accessed. Not intentional but disastrous just the same.

After all it isn't just one strain they are fighting it is three...which has turned into 9 (I think ) currently.

It's not a conspiracy theory or anything like that...stupid mistakes from the Chinese being cheap and careless and trying to steal American research.

It’s a conspiracy theory. Covid-19 is a novel Coronavirus and it’s been proven it wasn’t artificially made.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,438.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The DNC platform is nothing but " Cheeto man bad, do opposite what he says.,"
Have you read the platform? It has plenty of specific policies, includings ones that Trump to the best of my knowledge has made no statement on.

Upvote 0