Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Definition of a sinner. Curious to hear the most common thought/answer. What does the Bible have to say about who or what defines a sinner.
My answer would be anyone who is not in fellowship with Christ.
1 John 3:4 says that sin is "anomia" which literally means "without law" but in this context a law breaker. So, when God gives a commandment, that is part of His law. When (if) we break it, that is a sin.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Neither of your posts addressed the question in the OP, which was, how does the bible define sin. If we are going to say, "sin is ___" then we need a verse to prove our point or it remains only our point, and not a biblical one. Respectfully...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we have the sin of omission and sin of commission, they are the things we should either do, and not do them or things we should do, and we don't do them.

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, wsold under sin. 15 For I do not understand my own actions. For xI do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with ythe law, that it is good. 17 So now zit is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells ain me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 bFor I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, cit is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Definition of a sinner. Curious to hear the most common thought/answer. What does the Bible have to say about who or what defines a sinner.
Did you find your answer, posted, IN THE BIBLE ?

If not, what did you find in the BIBLE about sinners ?

Test EVERYTHING by SCRIPTURE..... (have to read it to know and to test)

Notice that in the BIBLE, Yahweh DOES NOT DEFINE a sinner. (perspective)

Look for what He Says Instead..... HIS Perspective that is......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither of your posts addressed the question in the OP, which was, how does the bible define sin. If we are going to say, "sin is ___" then we need a verse to prove our point or it remains only our point, and not a biblical one. Respectfully...
Okay, I can buy and agree with that. I thought that the concept of "we all sin" was sort of like the understood verb.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; - Romans 3:23

But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. - Romans 6:22
If one hasn't been "made free" of sins would the be considered a "sinner" or lost.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. - 1 John 1:7
If one has fellowship with Christ we have continual forgiveness of sin.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
IF. Key word.
Like if one does turn back to the world and does not walk in darkness.
If one endures to the end.
and so on....

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Sin is transgression of the law of Liberty/the Law of Christ/The New Covenant Law.
1 John 3:4
4Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

James 2:
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

We are all judged by the Knowledge we have received
After someone knows the true word of God they become accountable for that word delivered unto them.
James 4:17
17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

If they deny this word delivered unto them then it would have been better to have never known God and his way of righteousness at all than to have known it and turned from the Holy commanded delivered unto them.
2 Peter 2:21
21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

So if someone hears something that is true and Holy but deny it until their dying day then they are damned. No matter the deeds they did for Christ, since in the end they still denied him and the word of God which he is(John 1:1).

Those who have never heard the law of Liberty will be a law unto themselves, though they also will be judged by the Law of Christ.
Romans 2:
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

So we see that sin the breaking of the Law of Liberty to those that know to keep the Commandments of God but choose to sin instead. So a sinner is a person who breaks the Law of God and chooses the way of sin.

It is only those who keep God's commandments and Law that will be justified.
Romans 2:
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

2 John 1:6
6And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I can buy and agree with that. I thought that the concept of "we all sin" was sort of like the understood verb.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; - Romans 3:23

But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. - Romans 6:22
If one hasn't been "made free" of sins would the be considered a "sinner" or lost.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. - 1 John 1:7
One of the things we don't get in English (and not so much in Greek either) that we do get in Hebrew is the clear and distinct differentiation between an unknown or unintentional sin and a sin of purpose, i.e. rebellion. We are free from sin (the wages of... i.e. death) but that doesn't mean we have been perfected yet. Until we are, we are by definition, imperfect. We might not rebel, but we all will do something unintentionally or in ignorance. I am not giving it a free pass nor condoning it... just saying, it can still happen and not contradict the verses you shared... which I of course, agree with. :)

Upvote 0