Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I am not sure where to put this post, so I went with the most relevant one I could find- since it's my ultimate goal to become closer with God anyways.

So, basically I got diagnosed with schizophrenia and I am receiving benefits. Every few months to every 7 years they do a checkup on you.

This hasn't happened yet.
I am real concerned about what I should say (even though I am praying, and I think that's helping) .. to keep getting benefits.

I used to work, and I got so upset hearing things/voices.

From what I understand, when they do a checkup... you can't be doing worse, and you can't be doing better. If you are doing worse, you may get locked up. If you are doing better ... you may lose disability. That's pretty much for sure. There would be no reason to keep you on it.

I used to get stressed out with a high amount of anxiety... and I don't want to go through it again. I like not having to work. I can load up Biblegateway.com and go to town.

... to make a lot story short :

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and I need to know what to say at my next review to keep benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrFGO0rDfr2N-E7Dtfrftlw

Upvote 0

Sean5151

Jul 23, 2020
Yorkshire
✟2,804.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I totally understand where you are coming from, so maybe you should be honest and tell them you are worried about coming off benefits because whilst you are feeling better now than you were you don't want to have a relapse, and being thrown back into work might be stressful and trigger your schizophrenia. I think there should be a disability scheme that helps you back into work gently, maybe starting off with one day a week doing some type of volunteer work. You might find that you enjoy it, you never know until you try.

I'm on benefits for my mental health and have been for almost 20 years now, and it doesn't get any easier it's just an existence not a life but I'm guessing you are a young man and the best thing for you would be to help yourself by trying to get back into work because that fear of work will only get worse with time believe me. Even for someone who does not have a mental health problem being out of work for a long time, it would be difficult to get back to full time work. The more you dwell on the fear of being forced back into work, the worse it will be, so that it becomes almost like a phobia. If you can get yourself back into work it should give you a feeling of worth of achievement and self respect, and improve your social skills.

All I can tell you is that since being on benefits my self esteem and feeling of worth has gone. I am less confident, not that I ever really was confident but certainly I'm less confident now. I've lost friends and family relations have become strained. Maybe if I had
gotten the right help at the right time I would not be in the situation I am in now.
Just honest and ask God for guidance and strength to face your fears.

I am feeling very low as I am typing this reply to you, but I thought I had to reply to you as I don't want you to fall into the same trap as me. Keep pushing forward my friend, don't be like me and waste your life away being full of fear. Trust in God and leave the fear behind you. I chose not to have God in my life for a long time and that was my big mistake, I truly believe that mental illness is a spiritual illness and so the closer you are to God the further away from those demons you will be. They would want you to keep doing what you are doing. God would want you to face your fears and keep pushing yourself to your absolute limits.

Upvote 0