Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a post earlier this week, we examined a biblical argument from the chronology of Saint Luke’s Gospel for identifying the birth of Christ our Lord in late December.

See: Was Jesus Really Born on December 25? Yes – A Biblical Argument for the Birth of Christ in Late December.

Today, let us take a look at the same subject from the perspective of Sacred Tradition.

The argument for Christ’s historical birth on December 25 has two parts. The first part relates to the Blessed Virgin Mary’s role in the Apostolic Tradition. The second part explores the the early Fathers regarding the date of Christ’s birth. By the way, I’m preparing another post that will briefly look at Pope Benedict XVI’s argument for the Divine Nativity having taken place on December 25. Look for that on Christmas Day.

Immaculate Mary: Mothers Never Forget
Ask any mother about the birth of her children. She will not only give you the date of the birth, but she will be able to rattle off the time, the location, the weather, the weight of the baby, he length of the baby, and a number of other details. I’m the father of six blessed children and while I sometimes forget these details (mea maxima culpa), my wife never does. You see, mothers never forget these details.

Now ask yourself this: Would the Blessed Virgin Mary ever forget the birth of her Son Jesus Christ who was conceived without human seed, proclaimed by angels, born in a miraculous way, and visited by Magi? She new from the moment of His divine Incarnation in her womb that He was the Son of God and Messiah. Would she ever forget that day?*

Next, ask yourself this: Would the Apostles be interested in hearing Mary tell the story? Of course! Do you think the holy Apostle who wrote, “And the Word was made flesh” was not interested in the minute details of His birth?

Whenever I walk around with our seven-month-old son, people always ask “How old is he?” or “When was he born?” Don’t you think people asked this question of Mary?

So the exact birthday (Dec 25) and the time (midnight) would have been known in the first century. Moreover, the Apostles would have asked about it and would have, no doubt, commemorated the blessed event that both Matthew and Luke chronicle for us.

Continued below.

Deafsilence

Feb 22, 2022
Midwest
✟37,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It isn't that simple, am I'm sure Mary didn't forget the date of when Jesus was born though they didn't observe birthdates which was against Jewish practice.

Additionally, God's appoints things to happen so they happen according to appointed times where are established through the a Lunar-Solar Calendar as we read in Genesis 1 when God made the luminaries. Therefore, if one were to observe a fixed date for the birth of Jesus it would be directly contrary to how the rest of God's appointed times occurred.

I believe that what happened is that Church moved away from Lunar Reckoning and transposed lunar dates to a fixed calendar. I believe they took December as the month because Jesus was actually born in December and took the 25th date because He was born on the 25th of the 9th Lunar month which would be known to many as the Feast of Lights.

Upvote 0