Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How many people believe that the EM radiation emitted by atoms comes out of thin air?

Or do you believe it is lost from the atom leading to its eventual decay?
I don't get how EM radiation comes from nothing, it may disperse through the air as background radiation, but it comes from somewhere if we're talking about Physics that is.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don't get how EM radiation comes from nothing, it may disperse through the air as background radiation, but it comes from somewhere if we're talking about Physics that is.
Just wondering as I’ve had discussions with someone that seems to think an atom emitting EM radiation has nothing to do with its energy loss and eventual decay. Despite understanding the decay is due to energy loss.

So I am wondering if anyone believes the energy for EM radiation comes out of thin air or from the atom...

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Just wondering as I’ve had discussions with someone that seems to think an atom emitting EM radiation has nothing to do with its energy loss and eventual decay. Despite understanding the decay is due to energy loss.

So I am wondering if anyone believes the energy for EM radiation comes out of thin air or from the atom...
I didn't suggest EM radiation comes out of thin air - I said it comes out of atoms when electrons drop to lower orbitals. It is also produced in gamma decay. IOW, it doesn't lead to radioactive decay but it can be a product of radioactive decay.

To the best of my knowledge, that is the current physical consensus and has been for many years. But I'm not a physicist - if you think I'm wrong about it, by all means provide some credible citations or references that will show it.

But I would appreciate it if you don't misrepresent my position, implicitly or otherwise.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't suggest EM radiation comes out of thin air - I said it comes out of atoms when electrons drop to lower orbitals. It is also produced in gamma decay. IOW, it doesn't lead to radioactive decay but it can be a product of radioactive decay.

That is accurate.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

The EM radiation emitted by an atom results from an electron moving from a higher energy level or "orbit" around the atom to a lower one. If the atom is stimulated in certain ways, an electron may move from its usual energy level to a higher one. Eventually the electron falls back into its usual place, emitting a photon of EM energy in the process. The "decay" spoken of in describing this process refers to the decay of the electron's orbit. It should not be confused with the radioactive decay of the atom's nucleus.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The EM radiation emitted by an atom results from an electron moving from a higher energy level or "orbit" around the atom to a lower one. If the atom is stimulated in certain ways, an electron may move from its usual energy level to a higher one. Eventually the electron falls back into its usual place, emitting a photon of EM energy in the process. The "decay" spoken of in describing this process refers to the decay of the electron's orbit. It should not be confused with the radioactive decay of the atom's nucleus.

There are actually quantum energy states in the nucleus itself which can also lead to gamma ray emissions. My thesis was on "Gamma-gamma angular correlations in Gadalinium-153".

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

To the best of my knowledge, that is the current physical consensus and has been for many years. But I'm not a physicist - if you think I'm wrong about it, by all means provide some credible citations or references that will show it.

But I would appreciate it if you don't misrepresent my position, implicitly or otherwise.
EM radiation occurs whether electrons drop to lower orbitals or not.

You need to ask yourself “why” an electron would drop to a lower orbital, or why it would jump to a higher one....

The energy state changes. It has lost or gained energy.

Since atoms are constantly emitting EM energy are you suggesting the electrons are constantly dripping to lower orbitals?

The physical consensus was based upon the belief the electron was a particle, now it is believed to be a wave or even a hole.

The physical consensus never overcomes logic. And besides, the physical consensus says EM radiation is emitted due to an electrons acceleration, changing orbitals is a secondary effect from loosing too much energy to radiation or gaining it from an outside source.

Your looking at the end result of emitting EM radiation, the decay of the particle. You should understand this from Relativity, since acceleration adds energy and the decay of the particle slows, as what is lost is offset by what is gained.....

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That is his strawman that I am implying they are the same.

I say the loss of EM radiation is the “cause” of the radioactive decay as the binding energy is lowered over time. It is the cause of all decay, radioactive or not.

Just as acceleration adds energy and decay slows as what is lost as EM radiation is offset by the energy added during acceleration....

Hence clocks slow and twins age less.... and radioactive matter decays slower too....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since atoms are constantly emitting EM energy are you suggesting the electrons are constantly dripping to lower orbitals?

We cannot discern what is happening with individual atoms. Obviously they emit EM energy only when there is a quantum jump, not continuously. However even a tiny sample contains millions of atoms all emitting randomly. Consequently we have the "illusion" of constant EM radiation.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We cannot discern what is happening with individual atoms. Obviously they emit EM energy only when there is a quantum jump, not continuously. However even a tiny sample contains millions of atoms all emitting randomly. Consequently we have the "illusion" of constant EM radiation.
Since you can’t discern what is happening, are you suggesting that atomic hydrogen thatcemits in radio waves has a single electron jumping up and down levels, despite being “neutral”?

Or is it more likely just the motion (acceleration) of the electron against the proton?

We already know acceleration adds energy, but it must first build up to the required quantum level before it can escape.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

You need to ask yourself “why” an electron would drop to a lower orbital, or why it would jump to a higher one....

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Electrons are constantly being stimulated into higher orbits and dropping down again, emitting a photon. This phenomenon is called "black body radiation." It is well understood and is entirely distinct from any radiation emitted by the decay of the atom itself.

The physical consensus was based upon the belief the electron was a particle, now it is believed to be a wave or even a hole.
"Now" if you mean since 1901.

Your looking at the end result of emitting EM radiation, the decay of the particle. You should understand this from Relativity, since acceleration adds energy and the decay of the particle slows, as what is lost is offset by what is gained.....
No, we know it from Quantum Mechanics.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
It's either a drop to a lower orbital or gamma decay.

Yes. When an electron is excited to a higher orbital by absorbing a suitable quantum of energy, it will eventually drop back to the lower orbital and radiate a photon with that quantum of energy.

Not really; it's now considered to be none of those things, but can appear to behave like any of them, depending on the context.

But all this is a red-herring digression from the original point, which is that although the majority of ways of measuring time passing involve repeated measurement of movement over some specified distance, it can be done without measuring movement, for example by the half-life of radionuclides or the fading of a photograph in the sun.

The feature these methods have in common is that they involve measuring the sum of multiple stochastic events (instead of measuring movement).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Electrons are constantly being stimulated into higher orbits and dropping down again, emitting a photon. This phenomenon is called "black body radiation." It is well understood and is entirely distinct from any radiation emitted by the decay of the atom itself.

"Now" if you mean since 1901.

No, we know it from Quantum Mechanics.
Black body radiation has never been observed outside of a cavity filled with soot or graphite....

Black-body radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation within or surrounding a body in thermodynamic equilibrium with its environment, or emitted by a black body (an opaque and non-reflective body).

So much for the claim that those atoms who’s electrons are jumping up and down between energy states are in thermal equilibrium with its environment...... were they such they would not be gaining and loosing energy.

Yes, I am aware they have fooled most into thinking blackbody radiation is commonly seen, but it doesn’t exist in nature. Just in laboratories in little soot or graphite lined boxes.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Black body radiation has never been observed outside of a cavity filled with soot or graphite....

Black-body radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation within or surrounding a body in thermodynamic equilibrium with its environment, or emitted by a black body (an opaque and non-reflective body).

So much for the claim that those atoms who’s electrons are jumping up and down between energy states are in thermal equilibrium with its environment...... were they such they would not be gaining and loosing energy.

Yes, I am aware they have fooled most into thinking blackbody radiation is commonly seen, but it doesn’t exist in nature. Just in laboratories in little soot or graphite lined boxes.....
So what in this vast conspiracy to deny that black body radiation comes out of thin air in aid of? Who does it benefit? Who does it harm?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
... So much for the claim that those atoms who’s electrons are jumping up and down between energy states are in thermal equilibrium with its environment...... were they such they would not be gaining and loosing energy.
The bolded part below explains how there can be electrons changing orbitals in systems in thermodynamic equilibrium:

"In thermodynamic equilibrium there are no net macroscopic flows of matter or of energy, either within a system or between systems" Wikipedia

IOW, in general, thermodynamic equilibrium is a macroscopic phenomenon; thermal, mechanical, and diffusive equilibria are necessarily macroscopic (statistical) in nature; i.e. individual atoms do not have temperature, pressure, or chemical potential.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,773.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed

Atoms, molecules and electrons in a gas or plasma are colliding and exchanging energy as a result of these collisions. An atom or ion that gains energy (electron excitation) through a collision may lose it by emitting photons of radiation as the electron falls back to its ground state.

Upvote 0