Visit site
✟174,547.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the best part of my life I thought we can’t stop sinning. That sin is a part of human life and we can never stop it.

Whenever I read Romans 6 it bothered me. It bothered me because it didn’t seem to be true to me. It says there:

„What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.“

We died to sin. We may live a new life. We have been set free from sin. It bothered me, because I kept sinning still.

You know what bothered me, too? That Jesus said „Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.“ (Mt 5:48)

Perfect? Really?! I was not even trying to reach that mark.

1 John 2:6 says „Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did." I can tell you, it bothered me! I believed to be a good Christian, to live in Jesus and he in me, but… I certainly did not live as Jesus did.

One day I got enough of being bothered by God’s word. So I said to God „Okay Lord, if this is true, if your death on the cross does not only save me from hellfire but also enables me to be free from sin (which is apparently what you want me to be) then please show me, how!“

And what did God do? He changed me from a lukewarm Christian to a real, living Christian!

Are you one of those who sit on their couch at home, saying „we’re all sinners“ – or are you one of these who go out into the world to hunt lost souls in the midst of hate and persecution to bring them back to righteousness, back to God?

If you don’t have this blazing fire of love for the living God inside your heart then you should ask yourself whether your Christianity is more than pure knowledge.

That day I understood that being a Christian is not about knowing and believing things, it is about living those things! To be a Christian is not a one-time decision. It is a decision you make each and every day again, the decision to subordinate your own will to God’s will.

We often forget that God is not a machine without feelings. We have a personality because God has a personality. Everytime we sin we hurt Him. God is merciful and forgives us, but do you think you make God happy when you disobey Him day after day after day after day? Do you think you can have a functioning relationship with Jesus when you don’t even try to make Him happy, to do what He asks you to do?

My life has changed a lot since then and whenever I sin now my conscience tells me immediately. Did you know that the conscience is used by the Holy Spirit (Romans 9:1)? If sinning does not burden your conscience then you got a serious issue in your relationship with Jesus.

In Eph 4:29-31 it says „Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.“

The Holy Spirit is called „holy“ for a good reason: everything unholy, every sin grieves the Holy Spirit and damages your relationship with the living God. If you commit a sin and it doesn't burden your conscience then the Holy Spirit inside you must be heartsick already.

Because of my conscience I am unable to talk to God after sinning before I repented, and now sinning is like a train accident in my life.

Half the New Testament tells us that we are supposed to obey God’s laws in the power of the Holy Spirit, and while I used to think that it is impossible I now know that nothing is impossible when God is living inside you. Paul knew this 2000 years ago already.

I used to be one of those people who denied the power of the Holy Spirit. Thank God He showed me the truth!
The Bible says about such people: „Having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people“ (2 Tim 3:5).

PS: There are people who don’t want to hear the truth and pick verses like 1 John 1:8 and claim we’re all sinners. But they miss the whole context of that verse. 1 John 1:8 says that all of us have been sinners and all of us need a saviour. Absolutely correct. There is no single human being besides Jesus who never sinned. But now that we are justified and received the Holy Spirit we don’t have to sin anymore. Jesus freed us from sin completely. When you continue reading 1 John you will find the following: „We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.“

PPS: There is also people who say „you can’t know all the laws, so how can you claim that we are able to keep all of them?“ You might have a good friend. When you know someone for years and you’re really close to him then you know his taste, what he likes and what he doesn’t like. You don’t have to ask him whether he likes peanuts when you know that he doesn’t like nuts at all. And you won’t gift him a pink shirt when you know he doesn’t like that color in general. It’s the same when you have been in a relationship with God for years and got to know Him better and better. You don’t need to know all the laws word by word, because you know God Himself. You know what is good and what is bad in His eyes, you know what He likes and what He dislikes. And if there is a difficult situation and you’re not quite sure then you can just ask God, He will answer.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the best part of my life I thought we can’t stop sinning. That sin is a part of human life and we can never stop it.

Whenever I read Romans 6 it bothered me. It bothered me because it didn’t seem to be true to me. It says there:

„What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.“

We died to sin. We may live a new life. We have been set free from sin. It bothered me, because I kept sinning still.

You know what bothered me, too? That Jesus said „Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.“ (Mt 5:48)

1 John 2:6 says „Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did." I can tell you, it bothered me! I believed to be a good Christian, to live in Jesus and he in me, but… I certainly did not live as Jesus did.

One day I got enough of being bothered by God’s word. So I said to God „Okay Lord, if this is true, if your death on the cross does not only save me from hellfire but also enables me to be free from sin (which is apparently what you want me to be) then please show me, how!“

And what did God do? He changed me from a lukewarm Christian to a real, living Christian!

Are you one of those who sit on their couch at home, saying „we’re all sinners“ – or are you one of these who go out into the world to hunt lost souls in the midst of hate and persecution to bring them back to righteousness, back to God?

If you don’t have this blazing fire of love for the living God inside your heart then you should ask yourself whether your Christianity is more than pure knowledge.

That day I understood that being a Christian is not about knowing and believing things, it is about living those things! To be a Christian is not a one-time decision. It is a decision you make each and every day again, the decision to subordinate your own will to God’s will.

We often forget that God is not a machine without feelings. We have a personality because God has a personality. Everytime we sin we hurt Him. God is merciful and forgives us, but do you think you make God happy when you disobey Him day after day after day after day? Do you think you can have a functioning relationship with Jesus when you don’t even try to make Him happy, to do what He asks you to do?

My life has changed a lot since then and whenever I sin now my conscience tells me immediately. Did you know that the conscience is used by the Holy Spirit (Romans 9:1)? If sinning does not burden your conscience then you got a serious issue in your relationship with Jesus.

In Eph 4:29-31 it says „Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.“

The Holy Spirit is called „holy“ for a good reason: everything unholy, every sin grieves the Holy Spirit and damages your relationship with the living God. If you commit a sin and it doesn't burden your conscience then the Holy Spirit inside you must be heartsick already.

Because of my conscience I am unable to talk to God after sinning before I repented, and now sinning is like a train accident in my life.

Half the New Testament tells us that we are supposed to obey God’s laws in the power of the Holy Spirit, and while I used to think that it is impossible I now know that nothing is impossible when God is living inside you. Paul knew this 2000 years ago already.

I used to be one of those people who denied the power of the Holy Spirit. Thank God He showed me the truth!
The Bible says about such people: „Having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people“ (2 Tim 3:5).

PS: There are people who don’t want to hear the truth and pick verses like 1 John 1:8 and claim we’re all sinners. But they miss the whole context of that verse. 1 John 1:8 says that all of us have been sinners and all of us need a saviour. Absolutely correct. There is no single human being besides Jesus who never sinned. But now that we are justified and received the Holy Spirit we don’t have to sin anymore. Jesus freed us from sin completely. When you continue reading 1 John you will find the following: „We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.“
Welcome Friedrich, I like your testimony and wish we had more on the forum. I love the verses of 1Jn as he points out what the truth is for Mankind. He not only tells us we are to keep the commands, he boldly proclaims what those commands are. Starting in Chapter 3 verse 19 He says: 19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. That truth is then proclaimed in verse 23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Now we know how to please God and it doesn't have to be standing on a soap box preaching the Law. It is standing behind someone at the checkout counter that doesn't have enough money to pay for all their groceries and we have a little extra and offer to help so that they can meet their needs. What we do for the least of God's children we have done unto Him. That is love in action. That is Christianity. The problem is that we fail to see some of those needs or we ignore them. That is sin and we are all guilty. I thank God for His grace. I thank God for sending Jesus to us to redeem us even though He knows we cannot be perfect by our own merits. Yes, we are sinners and we need to realize that fact. More that that we need foremost to realize that we are perfect in the eyes of God the Father because of Jesus our advocate.

"Redeemed how I love to proclaim it
Redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb
Redeemed through His infinite mercy
His child for ever I am"

PPS: There is also people who say „you can’t know all the laws, so how can you claim that we are able to keep all of them?“ You might have a good friend. When you know someone for years and you’re really close to him then you know his taste, what he likes and what he doesn’t like. You don’t have to ask him whether he likes peanuts when you know that he doesn’t like nuts at all. And you won’t gift him a pink shirt when you know he doesn’t like that color in general. It’s the same when you have been in a relationship with God for years and got to know Him better and better. You don’t need to know all the laws word by word, because you know God Himself. You know what is good and what is bad in His eyes, you know what He likes and what He dislikes. And if there is a difficult situation and you’re not quite sure then you can just ask God, He will answer.
Some laws God only gave to the special people during the ages. Of those laws many do not pertain to us today. I need not worry when Sabbath began for the Israelites which some are debating on the forum. That law does not pertain to me. I am of the truth if I believe in Jesus as my Savior and I love my fellow man as Jesus love all of us as John proclaimed in 1Jn 3.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Clearly the Ruach Ha'Kodesh is working in your life.

(CLV) 1Jn 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we may be keeping His precepts. And His precepts are not heavy,

Upvote 0