"Dear God, help me hate white people" - Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes, Seminary Professor at Mercer Unv

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This best-selling devotional has a prayer that literally says “Dear God, please help me to hate white people.” This is a real book you can buy. At Target.

"Dear God,

Please help me to hate white people. Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively. I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist."

Equally concerning is that someone decided to actually publish this blatant racist "prayer"

Did Christ teach us to hate?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This best-selling devotional has a prayer that literally says “Dear God, please help me to hate white people.” This is a real book you can buy. At Target.

Equally concerning is that someone decided to actually publish this blatant racist "prayer"

"By their fruits you shall know them" Matt 7. When the "culture of hate and division" enters the churches, it usually starts with the seminaries, professors, academia.

SJW politics makes a poor substitute for the Word of God. Man made religion is worthless.

Theology prof: 'Dear God, please help me to hate White people'

where we find the following

“Dear God, Please help me to hate White people,” opens the prayer. “Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively.”

“I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist,” she continues.

One wonders what god is being addressed in that prayer.

Take any race of mankind substitute it in for "white people" and ask yourself if that prayer sounds racist. Ask yourself if "hate" is the new prayer for Christians.

"Love your neighbor as yourself UNLESS they are of x-or-y race"???

Has SJW politics been raised to the level of deity??

How are these ideas even " a little tempting " for Christians to get caught up in??

The Roman Empire was one of the most ruthless and brutal empires known to mankind -- under THAT empire Paul said "Love your neighbor as yourself" Rom 13, so also did Christ say it Matt 19.

No wonder Black thought leaders like Larry Elders, Thomas Sowell and many others are condemning the hate-culture of SJW.

Black Conservative Thinkers (143 books)

==================

So then what about her critics? What if someone "differs" with her "prayer for more hate?"

She responds "maybe some cult deprogramming can help them."

On Wednesday morning, Walker-Barnes addressed criticisms of her words on Instagram, writing, "the folks critiquing have clearly never read Psalms." She then recalled an incident during which she was called a racial slur after which she did not seek vengeance but "took my rage to God in fear." She says her experiences have "given me millions of reasons to hate White people," that the "hatred would be justified," and that "I could even find biblical precedent for it." She laments that God has "given me a different spirit, one that insists on looking for goodness and possibility."

"This thread isn't for the critics," she adds. "They're so wrapped in white supremacist Christianity that only God and maybe some cult deprogramming can help them."

=====================

In the above text I say "Take any race of mankind substitute it in for "white people" and ask yourself if that prayer sounds racist. Ask yourself if "hate" is the new prayer for Christians."

I doubt that any who would dare to post in defense of the prayer in the OP would take the time to be that objective about the discussion.

All Americans decry the racism in the South before the civil war as a horrible and tragic situation. But even THEY did not make the claim "if you do not pray for God to make you hate black people you are racist". One wonders how such logic even comes about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Help me hate white people": Entry in bestselling prayer book stokes controversy

The reality of this is a little more complex:

"I am so sickened by the backlash over the prayer," Andrew Robb-Scott, a former seminary student of Walker-Barnes, said in a Twitter thread on Wednesday. He challenged critics to read the end of the prayer, in which Walker-Barnes discusses striving toward a community "collectively liberated from whiteness" that experiences true freedom and equality".

The prayer is not advocating for hatred. It is apparently meant to express the author's pain. I'm not sure it does this very effectively. I admit, it does sound pretty dire.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Motive?

“Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.” Psalm 139:21–22 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we?"
--McCartney

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Motive?

“Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.” Psalm 139:21–22 (KJV 1900)

Was it David's claim that "White people" - hate God in your POV?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I think you are missing the point. But the title is misleading.

"Help me hate white people": Entry in bestselling prayer book stokes controversy

"I am so sickened by the backlash over the prayer," Andrew Robb-Scott, a former seminary student of Walker-Barnes, said in a Twitter thread on Wednesday. He challenged critics to read the end of the prayer, in which Walker-Barnes discusses striving toward a community "collectively liberated from whiteness" that experiences true freedom and equality".

The prayer is not advocating for hatred. It is apparently meant to express the author's pain. I'm not sure it does this very effectively. I admit, it does sound pretty dire.

I'm glad the article in the OP shows photos of the entire piece. The last few paragraphs show that the whole thing is a lament and that the author is wrestling with her own feelings that she acknowledges are ungodly.

It's not very well-written, so some of the confusion is on her. But at the same time, I'm entirely unsurprised that the conservative outrage machine didn't bother to get that far into the piece.

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

EDIT: What follows assumes she means what is said in the majority of the piece. @iluvatar5150 offers an alternative interpretation, in which the end condemns the rest.

"Dear God, Please help me to hate white people," Walker-Barnes writes. "Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively. I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist."

I don't know your race, but if you're white, she wants to hate your race and doesn't want to care about your kind, "individually and collectively." So in other words, if you're a white person, she's going to hold that against you even "individually." How is this not racism?

As for Andrew Robb-Scott's Twitter thread defending the prayer by referencing the end, can "true freedom and equality" be obtained by working for a community "collectively liberated from whiteness"? That sounds like promoting equality by excluding, not including, whites (or "whiteness"). If a white person was called a racial slur and, as a result, prayed the exact same prayer but with the word "white" replaced with "black" or "Hispanic," would you agree that it'd be advocating for hatred? All prayers to hate or want to hate by definition, is advocating for hatred, as far as I can tell.

Maybe the definition of racism has changed. Is it now, "The view that whites are superior or equal to all other races," making the alternative to racism something like "the view that all races except whites are equal"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad the article in the OP shows photos of the entire piece. The last few paragraphs show that the whole thing is a lament and that the author is wrestling with her own feelings that she acknowledges are ungodly.

She asks for the gift to "want to hate" in the opening prayer.

Your suggestion is that she open with "I ask that you help me want to not hate" or "help me stop hating".. that would be very difficult to wedge into the opening.

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's not very well-written, so some of the confusion is on her. But at the same time, I'm entirely unsurprised that the conservative outrage machine didn't bother to get that far into the piece.
Wait, she's condemning the feelings as ungodly? While I haven't seen that looking over it myself, I'll recant what I just said if this is true. Can you quote what it is in the post that makes this clarification for me? If so, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not only is it ungodly to hate your enemies, it is stupid to hate people who aren't the enemy. But this is the acidic effect PC has on society.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
She asks for the gift to "want to hate" in the opening prayer.

Your suggestion is that she open with "I ask that you help me want to not hate" or "help me stop hating".. that would be very difficult to wedge into the opening.

It's only difficult if your brain can't comprehend a narrative arc in which a character exhibits a behavior and then expresses regret for it.

Wait, she's condemning the feelings as ungodly? If so, I'll recant what I just said. Can you quote what it is in the post that makes this clarification for me? If so, thanks!

In the OP article, there are photos of the whole thing. Her admission that her attitude isn't right starts near the top of the third page when she asks to let her heart be hardened - anybody even remotely familiar with the Bible knows that a "hardened heart" is not a good thing. Then she asks to be like pre-whale Jonah, whose heavy-handed attitude correction was the basis for his entire story.

Then she really turns the corner at "But I will trust in you, my Lord." From there until the end, she describes how God has called her to something better than what she's prayed for.

article-606dbe6ba3eeb.jpg

article-606dbe713d698.jpg

article-606dbe7625d11.jpg

article-606dbe7b18574.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
you just showed her ending with "
It's only difficult if your brain can't comprehend a narrative arc in which a character exhibits a behavior and then expresses regret for it.

...Then she really turns the corner at "But I will trust in you, my Lord." From there until the end, she describes how God has called her to something better than what she's prayed for.

Thanks for posting that. :)

you just showed that she concludes with ""free me from this burden of calling them to confession and repentance. Grant me a Get Out of Judgment Free card if I make White people the exception to your commandment to Love our neighbors as we love ourselves" in the last few paragraphs of her prayer.

I assume some people take that as a "good thing".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Motive?

Everyone hates God and worships idols unless born-again. That is why people need salvation.

you just quoted David saying "I hate those that rise up against thee" and it appears now you are saying "and that is everyone"... correct? (Which would include David)

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

you just quoted David saying "I hate those that rise up against thee" and it appears now you are saying "and that is everyone"... correct?
Only a racist would single out white people. Are you one?

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The narrative in your OP has been debunked by @iluvatar5150 and Eftsoon.

In the OP article, there are photos of the whole thing. Her admission that her attitude isn't right starts near the top of the third page when she asks to let her heart be hardened - anybody even remotely familiar with the Bible knows that a "hardened heart" is not a good thing. Then she asks to be like pre-whale Jonah, whose heavy-handed attitude correction was the basis for his entire story.

Then she really turns the corner at "But I will trust in you, my Lord." From there until the end, she describes how God has called her to something better than what she's prayed for.

article-606dbe6ba3eeb.jpg

article-606dbe713d698.jpg

article-606dbe7b18574.jpg

Upvote 0