Dealing with the negativity of being a "sinner"?

OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Update: The topic of this thread has taken up some new tangents and questions, I am grateful for answers on the original topic, however please see the last threads should you wish to just jump in. Thanks :)

Original question was answered, I am suing this thread to help me learn :)

Last edited:

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi All
Something which makes me cringe internally is accepting or hearing us being called "sinner".

I find I am struggling with the term and its meanings applied to myself or good people I know. I feel like I am oppressing myself or committing a sin, odd as that might sound.

I am more inclined to see God's creation as divine and anything bad about it is due to malevolent forces on us and not our nature. I am just painting the background above so you understand why I ask these questions below:

My question is:
how do you deal with the negativity of being a sinner?
Or perhaps you don't feel it is negative, if not how can I arrive at that conclusion too?

Our morality is flawed & we are subject to natural death in a fallen creation, so we are all sinners but not totally depraved either. St. Paul notes we have all sinned (Romans 3:23) but he previously notes that many try to do what is right & God will not overlook those who have had no other recourse than their conscience if they have conformed themselves to God (see Romans 2 esp. verses 11-16). Jesus Christ only absolutely calls those who actually personally saw Him walk the earth & do good & then rejecting Him as having no excuse for sin (see John 15:22-24). So realize that we are all sinners but God still loves us & wants us to be saved. Jesus Christ is the savior of all especially of those who believe (see 1st Timothy 4:10). Nonetheless, humanity still loves darkness as witnessed by our inhumanity towards each other (this is the condemnation) but God so loves us he gave of us His only begotten Son (see John 3:15 -21); also note that in this all, He judges our hearts. The basic summation is those who have done good will inherit eternal life & those who do evil: hell (see John 5:29, read John 5:22-29). God wants us by His Son & His Holy Spirit to love Him & each other (see Matthew 22:36-40 etc.) & to call upon the Son to be saved (see Romans 10:9-13). To live this is by prayer & charity (see Matthew 6:1-18). If you need online verse look up see: http://www.biblegateway.com/

Upvote 0

OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello Lukaris
Thanks for the reply. If our morality if flawed, is it then that you and I are not to blame? Although we have to accept we are sinners, it isn't our inherent fault so are we attempting to address that flaw and align us with purity as our true nature?

I don't intend to twist words with this, but I wonder if that is a correct way to understand the human position and explain why God loves us.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Aum. In Matthew 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." Who of us could do that, day after day after day?
Jesus also gave us a second Commandment: " Love your neighbour as yourselves." Is there anyone but Jesus who could do that, day after day after day? We are sinners, Aum, but sinners who want to learn to overcome and become as God wants us to be. We must remember that on those two Commandments hang all the Law, and the Prophets. ( Jesus`s Words to us)
What can we do to become as God wants us to be? Not selfish anymore, and
being Reborn to God`s loving children/sons and daughters?
We start by treating all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends, as we would love to be treated: kindly and with friendly words, and helping hands, ( if needed) and always being good neighbours. God will see our efforts, and God will approve and bless us, God will also know that we Love God with all our beings. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love, also. Jesus told us: " Ask and ye will receive,"
(Matthew 7, verses 7-8,) and then we thank God and share all Love and Joy
with all around us (our neighbour.) We keep asking God and thanking God, and keep sharing all Love and Joy with all around us. The world will notice and treat us the same, and all can see whose representatives we are.
Love is very catching, and love changes us into the men and women which
God wants us to become. Jesus will help and guide us all the way, in fact:
Jesus Is The Way. Love is a Christian`s strong weapon, and Love will overcome all enmity and wrong behaviour. I say this with love, Aum.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

John Zain

Sep 14, 2010
✟1,060.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My question is:
Or perhaps you don't feel it is negative, if not how can I arrive at that conclusion too?
I'm sorry to have to tell you that ...
you just don't seem to have the revelation of how really bad the human race is
compared with the Holy God.

And you are supposed to be SO grateful that ...
God has provided a way for you to get rid of your sin,
and to spend eternity with Him in Heaven after you die.

"If the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." (John 8:36)

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi All
Something which makes me cringe internally is accepting or hearing us being called "sinner".

I find I am struggling with the term and its meanings applied to myself or good people I know. I feel like I am oppressing myself or committing a sin, odd as that might sound.

I am more inclined to see God's creation as divine and anything bad about it is due to malevolent forces on us and not our nature. I am just painting the background above so you understand why I ask these questions below:

My question is:

Do you believe that you are perfect? If not, you're a sinner. Being a sinner simply means that you are not perfect. The reason that's significant is because our God is perfect, and so no one can be worthy of Him.

I don't see it as a negative thing being imperfect. Jesus has made up for my flaws, so I have nothing to be ashamed of. What it makes me feel is gratitude for the person who paid the price for me.

Do you believe that humans are inherently good? If you grew up in a place where human nature truly showed itself, you would see that it is no "malevolent force" outside of ourselves (which, BTW, would be God's creation too, since nothing exists that God didn't make). By and large, we are all capable of horrible things, as history continually reminds us. We are only as good as our situations allow us to be. In a world without government or law, with little chance of repercussions for our actions, we wouldn't hesitate to slit one another's throats to get what we want. It's only by God's grace that we can be made into something better.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi All

My question is:

I call myself a sinner and I say it quite willingly and boldly. Not as though I'm proud of it, I'm certainly not proud of my sin, but rather because I can confess it openly about myself.

I screw up, I make mistakes, I fail and miss the mark of what God would have me to regularly. That's what being a sinner means. Sin is "missing the mark": failing to do what we ought to do, and doing what we ought not do.

In seeing this in yourself you should feel sorrow for your sins. And it shouldn't feel good, we hurt one another. And we hurt one another all the time. That's not something to be glad about, but something to mourn. To realize that in myself there is this kernel of my humanity that rejoices in the pain of my neighbor, that when injured desires revenge, or when confronted with my mistakes or wrongs seeks to hide or shift blame on another. This isn't good, it's horrible. And that should, when we are finally confronted with it, force us to our knees and fill our eyes with tears of sorrow.

But that's not the end of it, that isn't the word God wants to speak to us. The word God wants to speak to us is the Gospel, that word He delivers from Mt. Calvary through the cross of the crucified Jesus that says, "Your sins are forgiven you, I love you, you are mine." He wants to pick up the broken wreckage of our humanity, collapsed under the weight of sin and death, and restore it, to lift it up and heal it. And that's what the cross and resurrection of Jesus is about, taking that which has been broken and repairing it.

So it's not simply, "I am a sinner", it's, "I am a sinner who in Christ has become the righteousness of God, in spite of myself." That God isn't going to sit back and let me rot in my own selfishness, but is going to make me that which He desires all of us to be in Him: the pure and perfect reflections of His righteousness and grace.

That's why Luther calls Christians simul iustus et peccator, simultaneously saint and sinner. We are sinner-saints. In the crossfields of the old man filled with death, sin, and despair and the new man, perfect and righteous in Christ our God. At once finding ourselves somewhere between the old world, and the new world that is to come; and in this preachers of mercy and grace. Because real mercy requires real sin. To be a preacher of mercy means to know who and what we are, and who and what we hope to be. In this we can say, "I am a sinner" and also, "Here is the mercy that saves."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Maranatha27

Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, great question and great posts by others. As a Christian I find myself struggling to stay within bounds God has put on the human family. I know the will of God in a certain area and fight and fight to stay within those bounds, but a lot of the time I fail sadly. I genuinely repent and read the Bible and retore my state before God.

The Bible explains this much clearer...

Romans 7
[14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
[15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
[16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
[17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
[19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
[20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
[22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
[23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
[24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
[25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul mentions a lot in the verses above, before this in the prior verses the Holy Spirit through Paul explains that the Law, the 10 commandments manifested sin in the people of Israel. It shinned a spotlight on the human condition to naturally rebel.

The Bible teaches we all have a sin nature, it is easy to see in others if you look for it, and if you are a student of the Bible and have the Holy Spirit it is very easily recognized in oneself.

Sin results in death. Today for Christians sin in our lives breaks communication with God.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that in modern times we are obsessed with "being okay". We do not like being in the position of needing help in any way. But God is not about bolstering our self-image. That is not what this life is about. As someone said in a way before, we are part of a fallen creation. We need to be rescued, redeemed. God in His gracious love and mercy has seen fit to provide a way, but we have to stop pretending that we are "okay" without him. My love for him is tied very closely to his forgiveness. As Jesus said, whoever is forgiven much, loves much. Again, it's not about feeling good about ourselves; it's about being loved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello Lukaris
Thanks for the reply. If our morality if flawed, is it then that you and I are not to blame? Although we have to accept we are sinners, it isn't our inherent fault so are we attempting to address that flaw and align us with purity as our true nature?

I don't intend to twist words with this, but I wonder if that is a correct way to understand the human position and explain why God loves us.

I think your question has been answred by other Christians here Aum but I feel I owe you the courtesy of a reply. What I also mean is that we are not collectively guilty of the sin of Adam & Eve but everything that affected them in areas of death to forces of nature & problems with understanding good from evil. From this we are all sinners & our free will is confused. Some people can by God's grace conform to His will & do right in their lives (like see the Beatitudes in matthew 5 for ex.) thanks to the cross of Jesus Christ. This is extremely precarious & we need to know our Lord since He summoned men to preach His Gospel to the nations at the same time we should always hope for anyone but also fear the Lord. Believe me, I am thankful for having been blessed to know Jesus Christ & His Gospel & I keep my sin in focus & always try to confess where I should & try not to judge my neighbor since God will have mercy on whom he says He will (see Romans 9:14-18).

Reactions: razeontherock
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's no need to get too hooked up about being a sinner. Every person answering you here is also a sinner.

It only means that we fall short of perfection, and will always have to depend upon Jesus to be seen as "sinless" by God..

Now, "sinning" on purpose just because that is what we would rather do, is a whole 'nother story. For that kind of labeling, we SHOULD be ashamed. If it is accurate and true, of course.

Upvote 0

OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for the answers! :)
I think I must see being a sinner as acknowledgement of my imperfection, and not some kind of guilt or negative stigma to keep me down.

Is it my personal fault that I was born a sinner?

My imperfections and those of some people in the world are quite clear to me and by becoming a Christian I would be addressing that imperfection through Christ, the Lord.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My question is:

To me, being a sinner means you are not perfect and you are capable of hurting yourself and other people. It means that you humbly realize that you are not above anything, and things can happen which are capable of taking you down to levels you never thought you would go to. It is sobering, but it does not ruin my life. Rather, it allows me to look at myself and others squarely, and it brings appreciation to Jesus' sacrifice on my behalf and the new identity he has bestowed me with. I now have a title other than "sinner," and it is my job to live up to that title. That title is Christian, or "little Christ."

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for the answers! :)
I think I must see being a sinner as acknowledgement of my imperfection, and not some kind of guilt or negative stigma to keep me down.

Is it my personal fault that I was born a sinner?

My imperfections and those of some people in the world are quite clear to me and by becoming a Christian I would be addressing that imperfection through Christ, the Lord.

Glad our responses have been a help to you.

On your question, in many cases, fault is irrelevant. It is what it is, and we have to do the best we can with what we got.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
To me, being a sinner means you are not perfect and you are capable of hurting yourself and other people. It means that you humbly realize that you are not above anything, and things can happen which are capable of taking you down to levels you never thought you would go to. It is sobering, but it does not ruin my life. Rather, it allows me to look at myself and others squarely, and it brings appreciation to Jesus' sacrifice on my behalf and the new identity he has bestowed me with. I now have a title other than "sinner," and it is my job to live up to that title. That title is Christian, or "little Christ."

That is good, so as a Christian I have a new identity which is that I recognise sin in me but I am no longer restricted by it. :) So to say I am a sinner, is to say I recognise my limitations as God's creation.

Upvote 0

OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Glad our responses have been a help to you.

On your question, in many cases, fault is irrelevant. It is what it is, and we have to do the best we can with what we got.

Hi GrayAngel
Yes, they have all helped. :)
Regarding fault, you are right again. Life is about correct and improving, not necessarily about looking for the cause of the fault. Buddha said why worry about who shot a poisoned arrow, spend your time removing the poison and the arrow whilst you can.

Can someone really practice Christianity without having to go back to explain Adam or the initial cause of Sin? I mean is it practical or does this topic come up in your church or in your bible study much, or can we get on with just being good Christians and not consider the cause of sin?

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi GrayAngel
Yes, they have all helped. :)
Regarding fault, you are right again. Life is about correct and improving, not necessarily about looking for the cause of the fault. Buddha said why worry about who shot a poisoned arrow, spend your time removing the poison and the arrow whilst you can.

Can someone really practice Christianity without having to go back to explain Adam or the initial cause of Sin? I mean is it practical or does this topic come up in your church or in your bible study much, or can we get on with just being good Christians and not consider the cause of sin?

Many believe that we inherit our sin nature from Adam. They call it "original sin." Many others do not accept that story as literal, however. I subscribe to this view. I see the first few chapters of Genesis as sort of a reply to popular pagan theology, specifically that of the Egyptians to whom they had been enslaved.

Is it a brick's fault it's a brick? No, but it will be used according to its purpose and design. Same with humans.

Upvote 0