Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shame is defined as a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour. Shame is said to be one the deepest of the “negative emotions,” a feeling we will do almost anything to avoid. Today, many people would admit to feeling shame if they are seen naked. With all of our sophistication, all of our boldness, and all of our so-called adult maturity, nakedness still makes us nervous.

An interesting study is to go through the whole scripture and see what the Bible says about nakedness. We see, for example, that in warfare in the Old Testament, if you were to defeat your enemy in war and in battle, the consummate insult to the dignity of your enemy was not strictly to strip him of his arms and of his booty, but to strip him naked, and parade the enemy in chains without any clothes. That was to reduce the enemy to total humiliation. It was the practise of the Romans to crucify people naked. And in all probability, Jesus was crucified naked. Christ was exposed to that kind of humiliation on the cross. He was made a public spectacle before the eyes of those who held him in derision.

Knowing and experiencing somewhat of the sinful depravity of man makes me all the more ever grateful for the Cross of Christ. Christ is the covering for my sins. He (Jesus) washed all my sins (past, present and future) away. The God who knows me in all of my nakedness loves me. How else could David say, “Search me, O God. Know me, Know my thoughts; know my heart. See if there’s any wicked ways within me. Cleanse me.” – Psalm 139

“The very essence of the gospel is that Jesus has achieved perfect righteousness and holiness which he weaves into a clothe that he offers to give you and to cover you in the presence of God with his righteousness. So that once we are covered by the righteousness of Christ, we can be naked again in the presence of God and not be ashamed. Jesus provides a covering of our nakedness.” – R.C Sproul

Shame…