Dealing with anger

k8tie

Apr 5, 2004
✟158.00
Faith
Protestant
I appreciate Mrs. Enigma's post earlier today about an article on anger. Since I am not directly responding about that article, however, I thought it best to begin a separate thread on anger management.

I just wanted to share what I have realized about dealing with anger, and I wanted to see what you all think of it. Essentially, my thought is that God's *empathy* with us is a powerful tool for diffusing anger.

My story: I have a history of letting people walk all over me, which has over time resulted in a habit of getting angry when anyone expresses anger towards me. I guess I've lived so much of my life "giving" to people, I feel I don't have much "give" left -- and what's more, if someone gets mad at me, I feel like they are "taking."

I deal with the public a lot in my line of work. These days -- even in spite of my recent "realization" -- when someone complains about something I've done, I often do take it personally. Automatically, I feel threatened, I feel wronged. When I try to remember what Jesus' example was and His commands about forgiveness, it doesn't always help. His ways don't seem to sink in; I struggle with anger.

Some people try to deal with anger by understanding the other person has a point of view, too, but I have a hard time with that. No offense, but when I'm angry, part of me really doesn't care that about the other person's point of view, because I don't feel he or she is trying to understand MY point of view.

So that's where God's understanding comes in. Since I know He sees my point of view and my reasons for doing things, even if this other person doesn't, I don't feel I have to Prove myself or justify my actions in order to win validation. I think God's love and empathy are the bridge to my being able to give a more temperate response to people who criticize me. For me, it makes all the difference in the world that God is with me ("on my side") and I am not alone.

Peace.

Alternate Carpark

Mar 9, 2004
msn
✟4,459.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Amen k8tie, we live in a sort of paradox when we are saved don't we.

God loves us unconditionally, warts and all.
Yet He also desires us to be transformed into the image of His son.
The two statements seem to contradict each other.
If god loves me the way I am , why does He want me to be more like Jesus ?

The key is He doesn't expect or demand that we be perfect, as He already knows that is impossible for us.
And when He says that He loves us, he doesn't mean He loves all of our actions or attitudes.
He loves us as His children, regardless of our actions, lifestyles, etc.
This is hard to fathom sometimes, that He loves us just because we are.
Our performance is irrelevant to Him in how much He loves us.
But because He loves us, He wants the best for us, and this is when the transforming comes into play.

He doesn't want us to transform ourselves for Him,
instead He wants us to allow Him to transform us into the things of beauty He originally designed us to be.
He doesn't want to transform us so He can love us more, He fully loves us already and that's why He wants to transform us.
It's known as God's restoration work of our souls.
He wants us to experience the fullness of Him because He loves us so passionately.

k8tie, have you read Boundaries by Cloud & Townsend ?
I think you will find some answers concerning your interaction with people.
I read it and it's an amazing book, revolutionised my walk with God.
God has led me to quite a few books these last few years that have done such a thing for me, I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

k8tie

Apr 5, 2004
✟158.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi AC,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the reminder that God Himself will transform me and heal my deep wounds.

I've read Boundaries for Dating and think I've also perused Boundaries. Perhaps I'll revisit it, on your recommendation.

If you're saying that transformation is not a technique to be learned, but a spirit of submission to adopt, I do agree. And I pray for God's transformation because my wounds from being stepped all over for years are deep, open and painful. At times, it feels there's no relief from people's selfishness...

Upvote 0