Days and nights, nights and days

hawkeyelovejs

Shine bright so others see Christ in you!
Oct 9, 2013
Midwestern girl!
✟7,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do you do when you're trying to fall asleep at night??

I have my days and nights mixed up, which fortunately does not affect me at work as I work in the afternoon, but I would prefer to stop waking up at noon and feel like most of my day is gone.

I try reading, playing games on the computer, writing in journal, prayer, devotions, warm milk. Even though studies say we shouldn't be looking at our computer screens before we go to bed, I find it's the easiest way for me to relax (except lately).

Suggestions?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm in the same boat, sometimes I end up taking some ZQuil (It's like NyQuil sans medicine) to help me drift off.

I spent over five years working night shifts (5pm-1am) and graveyards (1am-9am) at a TV station and after doing that for so long it really wrecked my sleep schedule. I thought I was getting back on track during the latter part of the Fall Semester but apparently I was wrong.

If you come up with a cure-all let me know. Usually I just binge watch something on Netflix until I get drowsy enough to fall asleep, only taking the ZQuil or melatonin if I have to get up early in the morning for something.

Although I have had success in the past with an epsom salts bath, but I haven't been able to do that for a while. If you have access to that or a hot tub, sometimes soaking in hot water to relax and loosen up can be really calming. Sure it's not something you can do every time, but it's nice to do now and then.

Upvote 0

sehnsucht9

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Create a sleep-wake routine for yourself. Set your alarm for the morning sometime and make sure you actually get up when it goes off. Do that for a couple of weeks, and your body will adjust to the new schedule and you should fall asleep better at night.

Also, make sure you're exercising during the day if you're not already. And check your diet/caffeine intake. It all affects sleep

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah your best bet is waking up at a certain time every day, at least until you're at the point that you can probably wake up on or around that mark even without an alarm clock because your body is so used to it.

When I go to sleep I basically day-dream about things and often times end up dreaming about that thing. I think if you are comfortable and focused on something then you'll fall asleep pretty easily, at least that's it for me.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Create a sleep-wake routine for yourself. Set your alarm for the morning sometime and make sure you actually get up when it goes off. Do that for a couple of weeks, and your body will adjust to the new schedule and you should fall asleep better at night.
This is what I was going to say. It's a lot easier to make yourself wake up and stay awake than it is to force your body to go to sleep at a certain time.

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

By His grace, For His glory
Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I don't tend to have a hard time falling asleep, but sometimes I have a hard time getting myself to go to bed at a good time just because I've got stuff going on. But when I can't sleep I will take 1/2 of a sleep aid and that usually helps. It's rare but every once in awhile....

Upvote 0

Squeakers

Cat and music lover.
Dec 21, 2007
Way in the back, off to the left.
✟70,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Most of the time, as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out...but on the rare occasion that I feel a bit too wired to go to sleep, I'll get all cozy in bed, then pull out my Nintendo 3DS and play that for a while.

Upvote 0