Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Note: I could not think of where else to post this but thought it was a good read. You all might have a fun discussion using this article as a jumping point to share your experiences.

I was running very, very, very late for a first date.

A married friend of mine had been talking for years about how she wanted to set me up with an eligible bachelor she knew. It was, of course, the stuff of a Jane Austen novel. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man of 6’2” or taller must be in want of a wife. We were perfect for each other, she avowed: with similar interests and comparable career tracks, we were sure to hit it off. For some reason, though, over years of both of our friendships with her and her husband, this mystery man had never materialized.

But one night, out of the blue, she’d sent me a text saying he’d be in my old hometown. It wasn’t quite a novel-worthy coincidence, though—I was going to be long-haul driving all day and only passing through. By the time I got his invitation for an evening cocktail, I was already frazzled, but I figured that it was worth a shot. At least I could cross him off the list of “someday set-ups.”

And now I was running extremely late. I sent him a frantic text, imagining a disgruntled Mr. Darcy giving up and walking away without ever taking the trouble to meet me. But when I finally piled out of the car, straightening my hair and my skirt, he greeted me with a smile.

Continued below.
Dating Unscripted: Living in Reality

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The fact is, no matter how great the guy, I needed to live in reality.

This.

We might know a little bit about each other’s families and careers, but we were still basically strangers. The dream-castle I’d built on one great date just didn’t fit into our real lives and concrete plans—puppy-dog eyes notwithstanding.

And this.

Living your life with your head in the clouds is unrealistic. It takes time to develop a connection. Fascination isn’t fact.

Some people hunger for companionship to the degree they can’t be grounded. Their imagination runs away from them. Instead of substantiating their feelings with truth; they live in their head and nurture a lie. The end is always painful.

Fantasy is usually one-sided and reciprocity is normally absent. That’s the warning sign you’re headed for a cliff. Switching gears is wiser than continuance.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A pity it didn't work out! They both sound like lovely people who enjoyed each other's company :) But, all's well that ends well!
Seemed he had the presence of mind to look at the situation realistically and not add anymore undue stress to their day to day lives.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seemed he had the presence of mind to look at the situation realistically and not add anymore undue stress to their day to day lives.
Absolutely, and kudos to him for being upfront and respectful!

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0